Author Topic: lefty mini-mauser action  (Read 1373 times)

Offline greyling

• Trade Count: (1)
lefty mini-mauser action
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:31:18 AM »
I just bought a new mini-mauser LH action in 223 from cdnn for 299. they have 1 more if anybody wants it. it's the last of the charles daly inventory.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: lefty mini-mauser action
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
greyling -- That's mighty tempting. How are you going to stock it? There's a LH Savage 11 in .223 on the local used rack for $399. As little as I like Savage looks, they have a good rep for accuracy, and that's a complete rifle for only a hundred more. The action is not a true .223, though -- it's a .308-length that's blocked to function the little .223.

I'd snap up both of them in a minute if I hadn't just acquired a LH Ruger M77 MkII, also second-hand. After refinishing and a general tune-up, it's a fine-looking rifle. Preliminary load tests (cal. .30-'06) show reasonable accuracy, certainly good enough for deer hunting. Will post a pic when I get some extra time (working all the OT I can stand these days).

Will be very interested to hear what you do with your new Mauser action.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline greyling

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:06:39 AM »
I have 3 options. I found an mpi fiberglass right hand that I can try and convert over to lefty (mpi assures me it is possible with patience and fiberglass) there is a mini-mauser right hand stock with no bolt cut on gunbroker for 150 I could try, and there is always richards microfit if I am willing to wait 3 months. I'm a little bummed because these actions were on the charles daly website for 170 shipped, I bought one, and they said oops, we sold them to cdnn 5 days ago. call them. my "cheap" gun is quickly ballooning in price. sigh.

I thought savage build a true short action 223. I opted out of a tikka because they use a long action for their 223. I have a savage 110LH chambered in 257AI with a custom stock I found for a song a couple years back. it puts bullets in the same hole, and restocked, looks pretty good. trigger needs a little work though. it's about 5lbs right now. I would probably buy the used savage, but I like savage.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »
Yep, I can see the costs build up quickly in starting with an action as unusual as the LH Mini-Mauser. As far as I can tell, the Savage .223 is a normal .308-length action blocked for the shorter round. That doesn't bother me, but the Tikka, a .30-'06-length action blocked down to .223, does seem pretty silly.

I have a spare NEF Handi-Rifle frame on the shelf, and am looking for a 1-in-9" twist barrel in .223 to fit to it. If it proves accurate, I will probably be satisfied and leave the Savage for someone else. I'm looking to build a lightweight "walking around varminter" at minimum cost, and .223 brass is free by the shovelful at my club's range, making it the obvious choice for such a rifle.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline greyling

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »
I've got the handi in 223 that I am selling to do this one. it's accurate enough, but I want a bolt gun. and didn't want to lug around a laminated stock 24" bull barrel.