Author Topic: Tell me I didn't just pay $233 for a Chinese scope!  (Read 1329 times)

Offline handyman06

• Trade Count: (0)
Tell me I didn't just pay $233 for a Chinese scope!
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:29:57 AM »
Last night the Leupold VX-I 4-12x40mm and lenspen I ordered came in. What got my attention was the "made in china" on the back of the Leupold lenspen package. So I start looking the scope over and there is nothing on the scope or packaging to indicate any country of origin. The manual included says that the manual itself was made in the U.S. On the Leupold website the slogan has changed from "Made right, Made here" to " Americas optics authority" and I could find nothing on the websight proclaiming their products to be U.S. made as you might expect. So now I'm starting to sweat. I called Leupold, but they're closed on saturday. Examining the scope it has friction adjustments, a 2 piece tube, there was manufacturing debris on the threads for the adjustment caps, and small black specks on both lenses that appear to have come from the neoprene cover the scope ships with. On the plus side it has alot of eye relief and a very even exterior finish. It came from a well established wholesaler I deal with frequently for reloading supplies, so I'm not concerned with it being counterfiet. I can return it as long as its not mounted so untill the question of its origin is resolved it sits on the bench. Anybody out there know where these are made?

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: Tell me I didn't just pay $233 for a Chinese scope!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 05:19:56 AM »
I thought they were usa. Do not like the vx1 as much as my nikon. The nikon has better optical clarity and it has audible clicks. can't feel or hear the adjustments on the vx1 and can't see the bullet holes near as well @50 yards. I would not buy another vx1 willing to try the vx2 though

one mans junk is anothers treasure
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 05:31:43 AM »
I believe country of origin is supposed to be plainly stated both on the scope and the box it came in. Are you saying it is not?

Looking over some boxes and scopes I had laying around handy I see that in the Leupold Gold color boxes it clearly states on the end of box Made in USA. On a black colored box it does not state any country of origin at all. Looking at a VX-II 2-7x33 not yet mounted it says made in USA on the turret.

I'd say look at the end of box and on the turret for country of origin. If it says nothing in either place I'd be real suspicious.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 05:41:15 AM »
That reminds me.
Look at your winter work clothes.
Carhart USA

some say made in mexico

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:44:09 AM »
Leupold has a warning on their site about the counterfeit scopes being made in China, check it out.  I think the Mark 4 was the only one being counterfeited.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »
for that price, I would say it is  NOT made in the USA.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:00:11 AM »
$233 isn't out of line from a wholesaler, retail price isn't much more than that if you shop around.  ;)

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0002456650
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 01:25:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure all scope lenses are made in China.  I read an article that said as much.  Of course everything you read may not be true.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:41 AM »
one of my Japanese name scopes was made in Korea. The Leupold may be foreign but not necessarily Chinese.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
My WindRiver binocs are made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if more items are made overseas.

Offline handyman06

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
UPDATE! I recieved an e-mail from Leupold. According to them the lenses are ground in Japan and everything else with the exception of the o-rings are machined and assembled in Beaverton, OR U.S.A. So maybe now I can get some sleep!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 05:36:24 AM »
I am glad to hear that,so the assembly got sloppy in Oregon. ::)

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure all scope lenses are made in China.  I read an article that said as much.  Of course everything you read may not be true.

Sorry swampman but I just don't believe that. Russia for one has it's own manufacturing facilities. Meopta in the Czech Republic it seems still make their own lenses and they supply lenses to other makers. Swaroski make their own glass and the optics part of Swaroski is the smaller part to the glass and crystal side.

Don't know about Zeiss, Doctor and Pecar. And of Khales was taken over by another firm so it might have changed there now but some how I cannot see Zeiss buying in lenses their reputation rests on it too much.