Author Topic: Need advice on getting started.  (Read 906 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Need advice on getting started.
« on: November 16, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »
To all of you experienced casters.
If you were just starting and know what you know now, what would you buy?
I'm thinking about the kit that Lyman offers to get me started.
Please tell me what you would buy to get you started.
Thank you very much!
Slufoot

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: Need advice on getting started.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:26:32 AM »
knowing what I know now I would get one of 2 casting pots (1) RCBS pro melt  20lb pot and (2) would be a Magma master caster 40lb pot that would be the pots I would use moulds for the RCBS pot I would get only steel moulds (and I know others will say Lee 6 cavity moulds ) but I had so much trouble out of aul. moulds spew plate handles breaking , out of round bullets and just plain wearing out they are just not for me . if you can get them I would get 4 cavity steel moulds for the RCBS pot for the Magma Master Caster Magma moulds or have RCBS or LYMAN moulds converted to fit the Master caster pot I read where Lee pots have a problem with dripping lead bad as for the lubber sizer there is only one I would get and that is a Magma Star they are faster and easier to use than all the rest now the big question you will have to ask your self is DO I WANT TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND GET THE BEST OR DO I WANT THE CHEEPER EQUIPTMENT??? D Crockett

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:32:34 AM »
D Crockett, Thank you for your experienced information!

now the big question you will have to ask your self is DO I WANT TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND GET THE BEST OR DO I WANT THE CHEEPER EQUIPTMENT??? D Crockett

The question I keep asking myself is will I enjoy casting enough and use it enough to justify spending the extra money.

Thanks again!
Slufoot

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 05:43:02 AM »
I have the RCBS pot but really am wishing I had a Lyman altho I have no experience with it I like the way the Lyman pot holds the mould better than how the RCBS does. If I ever buy another pot it will be the Lyman.

For moulds I really like the Lyman 4 cavity and RCBS but sure wish RCBS would make 4 cavity as you can crank out a lot more bullets in same time with them. Still I've never had an RCBS mould I didn't like or that didn't cast excellent bullets. I've tried SAECO and wasn't too fond of them. Of two I had one cast well and the other did from one cavity but no matter what I did the second cavity never filled out a bullet worth using. I've used some Lee moulds and they do OK but are not as long lasting as Lyman and RCBS.

Veral makes excellent moulds and backs them with an excellent warranty.

I've owned both RCBS and Lyman Lube-sizers. I gave away the Lyman after it broke several times and they refused to cover it under warranty. I'll stick with RCBS on this item.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »
 What would make a good kit, including the above for someone wanting to get into it that has absolutly no experience. Let's say I want standard rifle and pistol bullets and need gas checks because I want to push bullets to the point of just under fouling. I understand gas checks are needed. So what lube, sizing dies, hardness testers, ect.. would I need. If you had nothing please list everything you would need to make good bullets. A book would be helpful as well.
Thanks.
Molon labe

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »
Here is a list I made up that was to be a part of a book I wanted to write but decided it really wasn't worth the effort.

The bullet caster’s list:

-Melting pot
-Bullet molds and handles
-Lubricator/sizer
-Sizer dies and top punches
-Leather gloves
-Safety glasses or face shield
-Mold knocker
-Ingot mold
-Ladle or spoon to stir the mix
-Flux
-Bullet alloy
-Bullet lube
-Gas checks if bullet requires

I use an RCBS pot but if I had it to do over I think I'd try the Lyman. I have no experience with the Lyman but like the way it holds the molds better than the wire RCBS uses.

For top punches and dies for it both RCBS and Lyman fit both luber sizers fine. I have no real prference. My luber/sizer is an RCBS and I had a Lyman but gave it away.

For moulds I really like both Lyman and RCBS. For handguns I really like four cavity moulds so you can really cast a lot of bullets fast. Sadly RCBS only makes two cavity for handgun and one cavity for rifle. LBT moulds are of excellent quality.

I've used both Hornady and Lyman gas checks but really prefer the Lyman.

Of the lubes I've used I like RCBS lube best but Veral's blue soft is likely a better choice. I have 24 sticks or so if it I'll be using when/if I ever do anymore lubing of bullets. I've not cast in a few years but should get back into it soon really.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »
That's a tall order..
I'd start with a small cast iron Dutch oven and a turkey fryer to melt my lead/ wheel weights in, and something to use as an ingot mold to pour my melted alloy in. Lyman makes a good one, but an old cast iron cornbread mold will do just as well. You'll need some sort of skimmer to clean the trash from your melted alloy, as well as a tiny bit of paraffin or wax to flux with. I use an old soup ladel to get my melt into my ingot mold.BE SURE TO KEEP ANY LIQUIDS AWAY FROM THE MELTED ALLOY!!

Now to casting...
I have two Lee pots, and when they get adjusted right, leakage isn't an issue.However, if you think that you'd rather have an RCBS or Lyman pot, feel free. I prefer the bottom pour pots, but some prefer to use a dipper. Get a good dipper, not a Lee dipper. For molds I have both Lee and RCBS. Lee molds come with handles (unless you get the six cavity molds) and I don't know of any others that do. With care Lee molds will last for years. I've yet to break one or wear one out. I just don't like Lyman molds...All but two of my pistol and revolver molds are plain base molds, and I don't have problems with leading. I have two rifle bullet molds, both are Lee and both use gas checks.

Lee makes a good sizer that you can use, and it's cheap,but I find it a bit messy. The results are great, so a bit of mess isn't a problem. I also bought an RCBS LAMII and a heater for it. I also bought RCBS sizing dies and top punches, altho Lyman sizing dies and top punches are interchangeable. I like the RCBS warrenty,and have made full use of it.
For bullet lube i've used Lee Liqiid Alox, the green stuff RCBS puts out, a few different tubes of whatever Lyman offers, and some stuff that I made myself. Then I tried some Lars caranuba Red from White Label Lube and haven't looked back. it's about half of what you'd pay for similar stuff at Midway or wherever, and works great.
A cast bullet handbook by Lyman would be your best bet for info and other things that I know I haven't mentioned, such as a hardness tester. I think Cabin Tree sells a good one, but I don't have one, so can't comment on that.
You'd be well serverd to peruse the cast bullet forum, too. There is a wealth of information to be had there..

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
 I had always dicounted the lead bullets due to slow velocity and hardness required to keep them from fouling. It seems Veral has a few tricks to combat this so it's sparked my interest to try and make some hunting loads for deer. I'll make a thread so it won't detract from this post but it seems there are a few options for the woods hunter and 30-35 caliber rifles.
Molon labe

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:08:56 AM »
You're putting the cart before the horse. Before you buy a single casting item you need to find a source for lead and have a supply at hand. If you plan to use wheel weights you will need empty 5 gallon buckets to trade with the tire shop for the full ones. Many tire shops have contracts with commercial lead buyers and will not sell their old wheel weights.

Once you have the wheel weights you will need a heat source (maybe a coleman stove), skimmer/scoop, a pot, leather gloves, eye protection, and ingot molds (store bought or muffin pans).

When you have some ingots made then start buying bullet casting equipment.

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
 Great advice already given by other posters!
 If you happen to be on a tight budget a Coleman stove,iron kettle and a dipper is okay too!
John 3:16

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
I would start out simple too. See if the casting game is really something you want to do before you spend a lot of dough.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
If you know anyone close at hand that does casting, ask to spend some time with them while they are casting. That will help you decide if you want to pursue this game.
Most of the 'stuff' can be found in yard sales and pawn shops, that's where I started 'buying'. I've used cast iron pots on Coleman stoves, electric plates, and kitchen stoves (not wife approved) as well as a Lee electric pot and a borrowed RCBS electric pot. All work. This way you can start small and spread out your 'investment'.
Using wheelweights and other salvage leads you will not want to use your casting pot for creating your ingots. There is a lot of crud that comes off salvage lead and it takes a lot of cleaning to get where you can cast decent bullets again. So, the short route is to melt the salvage in a separate pot and pour your ingots. I use an old muffin pan (wife was happy to get a newer model!) for the ingots. This keeps the bullet casting pot clean and happy. A large soup spoon or serving spoon makes a good pot skimmer. I use welding gloves for hand protection, a long sleeved shirt with button neck and a heavy apron (like blue jeans material) and boots that go inside my trousers. I've had hot lead burn through sneakers and spatters in the tops of low shoes.
ABSOLUTELY make sure no water from any source gets anywhere near your hot lead pot. A drop of water will create a terrific explosion if it comes in contact with molten lead, and hot lead goes everywhere, possibly sending someone to the hospital, or worse.. take no chances here. I was casting in the kitchen, years ago, on the kitchen stove so I could use the range hood for ventilation. It was winter in Wyoming. Some condensation built up on the underside of the range hood and a drop landed in the lead pot. I was turned back too at the time so only got spattered on the back of my clothes and nothing burned through - and the kitchen was a lead mess! Fortunately, nobody was injured in the fracas and I discovered the source before another drop fell. Lesson learned. Casting is just another fascinating hobby that you have to keep your wits about you and stay safe. Welcome to the fraternity!!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice you all have given me!
I have contacted several places and now have two garages that are going to give me their old wheel weights! ;D
I'm going to start out with the basics. I made my wife a CHRISTmas wish list and on it is an RCBS ladle, LEE 2-cavity .50 caliber 440 gr. FNGC mold, Hornady .50 caliber gas checks, LEE lube & sizing kit .501 diameter, Lyman 3rd edition Cast Bullet Handbook and an RCBS lead bullet casting thermometer.
I have a propane turkey cooker burner so I'll have to come up with a pot to melt in.
I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions when I get started.
Thanks for all the advice!!!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »
Looks like you know what you need to get started.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
You've got quite a list there. Hope you've been nice and not naughty!! LOL!
I would add that I also use an old cast iron fry pan to hold my hot molds, skimmer spoon, dipping ladle and anything else that may be hot. Keeps burn marks off the counter top.
As the mold reaches temperature, I generally add another mold and rotate them which keeps them from overheating. I can usually run three or more molds at a time, somewhat depending on whether I am using aluminum molds or not and how talented I feel. Productivity is pretty good and I can separate the different bullets while inspecting them after they have cooled.

In the warmer months, I did a lot of casting on the back steps and even on the picnic table.

At a yard sale or some such place you should be able to find a small cast iron soup kettle. Mine was close to free and holds about 20 lbs of wheelweights. Makes skimming the steel and crud a simple task. It also keeps the crud out of my bullet casting pot, so the crud doesn't interfere with the bottom pour spout.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »
lyman sells a kit called the expert kit. Well not really an expert kit it is a decent beginners kit. It has just about everything youll need except a mold a top punch and die for the press. Its a small dipper pot. I think everyone should start out with a dipper and learn to cast and if production becomes a need then step up to a good bottome pour like a lyman or rcbs and if you outgrow the lyman sizer press a star is much faster.
blue lives matter