Author Topic: Photos of other Breechplugs for study  (Read 1002 times)

Offline preventec47

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Photos of other Breechplugs for study
« on: November 16, 2008, 04:50:29 AM »
Here are some photos of others I have been collecting for design ideas

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
Re: Photos of other Breechplugs for study
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:54:28 AM »
PART 2  More photos for plug design ideas 

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:47 AM »
PART 3  More pics for plug design ideas

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 05:10:04 AM »
Part 4   Some of Busta's work and Hubbards ideas and parts

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »
  I asked Toby Bridges of NAML [north american muzzle loaders] about his drawing of an "ideal" BP breeplug design based on experiments he had done and he liked the Traditions and the Knight designs. After examining them ,I'll have to ask again because ,for instance,the Traditions A1403,209 fully enclosed plug has totally different flame passage and flash-hole size than another of its plugs that has the same external dimensions but takes 3 different size nipples for the use of 209s,#11s ,or musket caps.Then there is a third type that differs from the A1403 in that it has a hex head instead of a 3/8"x 1/2" rectagular head. All of these have the 5/8"-18 thread.  Ken

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
Kody,

You might want to check the thread on the Traditions, the Spanish guns have always been metric sizes as far as I know. Knight has a few different plugs in 5/8"-18, I have a couple, but there are a couple more I need, especially the non-FPJ plug for the Bighorn. If someone has one of those, could you post the length please?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
Of course an obvious question since the Traditions alledgedly use the
same thread size.... Could they screw into an NEF barrel?
No way could the head spacing be corrrect but there could be
something to work with....

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
This breech plug is already 5/8"-18 TPI with a bare 209 primer pocket. This is the one I need the length on, might be an easy conversion? This is the most obvious plug IMO to work with, IF the length works out, and it should be very close. May just need to chuck it up in the lathe and remove a little material on the front side???

http://www.knightrifles.com/productdetail.aspx?id=900045

http://www.knightrifles.com/productdetaillargerimage.aspx?id=900045
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:44:17 AM »

Busta: Keep us posted on what you find out and if this plug can be shortened enough to make it work. I have a Huntsman and a small lathe so I can probably accomplish this. I also picked up a breechplug which looked like it might work with some modification; I think is from a Winchester but suspect it is possibly metric thread. Have not had time to pursue but will get on it.

Offline walmpus

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
I was looking at some of those plugs and the prices for factory plugs are mostly under $20. I dont see why someone could not make a breech plug for the Huntsman/Sidekick for a reasonable price. Is the reason the ACP .25 conversion plug $60 due to materials? If it's time involved then what is the reasoning for all other brand plugs beeing so much cheaper? Or is it possibly the demand? I sure hope someone can come up with something!

walmpus

Offline kody

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »
  I will run a 5/8" NF nut on the Traditions if I can . I don't thik it will work though because ,in spite of it looking close, the threads don't mesh with a 5/8" Aircraft bolt that I have!  Ken

Offline kody

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
      The Traditions plug series ARE metric!  External thread size is M16x 1.5.  The A1403 that takes 3 different type nipples in 209,  #11 and Musket sizes, has a tapered internal thread for those nipples . The A1403 is  different internally from the A1445, with a. .875" deep, .090" flash hole that opens into a half-dome powder pocket, 12/" deep, while the A1445 has a 1'8" flash channel extending  .800" below the 209 primer pocket to an .030 flash hole that opens into a half-dome powder -pocket that is only .300" deep.  I mention these plugs because they can be installed in the NEF 7/8 " plug by drilling and tapping for a full length M16x1.5 hole and then only having to deal with the OAL/ headspace problem. The internals would be already finished! The third Traditions plug,the A1446 appears to be a hex-head version of the rectangular bar head of the A1445,but I don't know what the internal dimensions are. What might the effect be of powder being able to reach the primer? Another reason to use a 5/8" or similar-sized Metric , manufactured plug would be to have a means of using rifle- cased shells with Large Rifle primers for ignition. A small diameter case capable of using a LR primer and of withstanding repeated reloads would be worth finding. I know there are a variety of case structures . Some might have a design and materials that would work for this purpose.   Ken

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 05:40:18 AM »
This is the old Knight 5/8"-18 pre-FPJ 209 breech plug. This one could be machined down at either end, preferably the primer end, maybe just a couple drills and a drill press would do it? Would just have to go easy until you get the right depth, then remove some of the wall. Approximately .260" to .265" would need to be removed. Notice, this one has more meat on the walls of the primer pocket. Pics, compliments of Night at MM. Thanks!

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member