Author Topic: contender first pistol?  (Read 704 times)

Offline les hemby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
contender first pistol?
« on: August 12, 2003, 10:19:48 AM »
my son turns 12 sept2. he loves hunting. would a contender be a good first pistol? (under close supervision) i have a 22 barrel his mom give me and i am thinking of passing it on to him? it is scoped would you leave the scope on or learn with iron sights. i am kinda thinking as far as a handgun goes this should be as safe as it gets (no chance of shooting twice)and would really have to pick shots :D  :D

Offline Questor

contender first pistol?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 10:44:07 AM »
I have some reservations about it.  They're hard for a person with small hands to open.  At least that's true for the old model. I don't know about the G2.
Safety first

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
contender first pistol?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 10:54:48 AM »
it was for him at first but my 410 barrel got him use to it. i also thought about a revolver but i already have the T/C in 100%. he is a handgun fanatic and with proper training i would like to see him handgun hunt in a couple of years. he isnt new to guns as i have had him hunting about 3yrs now.starting with dove

Offline KN

contender first pistol?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 12:34:59 PM »
I think its a great idea. Then as he gets older bithday presents are easy to pick out. Another year, another barrel. It don't get any better than that.  KN

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
contender first pistol?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 01:15:19 PM »
les,

Given your reply to Questor's concern, I would have to agree with KN that it is a good way to go.  I'm thinking about a Contender for my son too.  

I too have wrestled with iron sights vs. scope question and have decided to let "fun" be the guide.  I try to make the whole shooting experience as fun as possible for my kids. So if they like shooting with a scope that is fine by me.  Most of the time my kids shoot with scopes except for the few semi-auto pistols we use that don't have them.  My kids think that the semi-autos are fun to shoot so they have learned to use iron sights.  

I think it is generally true that if kids don't enjoy shooting then it will be unlikely they will ever learn to shoot well especially with iron sights!  (BTW, I'm a big fan of reactive targets for kids!)

Blessings!

Jim
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
contender first pistol?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 03:36:57 PM »
Sounds good to me.

When I teach a new comer how to shoot I start off with a red dot first.

You can take a red dot and cover the muzzle end of the scope up with a cotton ball and tape. This will allow him to see the dot but you cannot see the target through the scope. This will teach him to shoot with both eyes open. While looking at the dot with the right eye and the target with the left eye your brain will superimpose the two objects: target and the dot. And you will hit where you aim. I promise.

After he gets use to this I would move him to the iron sights. I've helped two different youngsters learn to shoot this way. Both of them have been shooting for about a year and a half now and both shoot very well.

When he gets to where he can hit pretty good give him a target that has action when he hits it. This will be fun to him and keep him interested. I used cany suckers on a stick or either use the little steel rimfire targets that spin when you hit them. I read about the active targets for youngsters in a guns and ammo magazine several years ago. This really worked.

Scott

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
contender first pistol?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 04:17:22 PM »
preciate the info i am gonna try the red dot deal myself :D

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
contender first pistol?
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 04:29:23 PM »
It's a little bit tricky at first teaching your eyes to swap focus. I started off trying this shooting prone. This also helps train someone that is cross dominant to become a same eye same hand shooter.

Scott

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
contender first pistol?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 05:22:39 PM »
My girls love shooting my Contenders.  One only likes the 22lr, 22 Hornet and 17 HRM but the other will shoot anyting you give her.  As one other poster stated, sometimes my youngest has trouble opening it, but I am there so I just help her.

My opinion is put a scope or red dot on it.  Kids have trouble getting the hang of open sights and they have more fun if they can hit what they are shooting at.  Work on open sights later.

Make sure to get some spinners if you have a place to shoot them.  Kids get a much bigger kick out of it than shooting paper.

Offline KN

contender first pistol?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 07:04:16 PM »
If your kid has trouble opening the action you can put a little lighter trigger guard spring in it and its alot easier to open. You probably don't want to do this with anything that kicks much but for rimfire it won't matter. I did this to a 17HMR for my 11yr old daughter and she can open it fine now. I'll put the heavier spring back in when she gets bigger.  KN

Offline kciH

• Contributor
contender first pistol?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 08:12:36 PM »
Les,
Let him learn with the scope.  As has been said by others, keep it fun.  When he becomes proficient with the scope, ask him if he'd like a little more challenge that will make him a better shot, and do it in the devious way a father does to influence his child.  Don't rush the change-over, and let him have a good time.  I'm of the opinion that a nice revolver, like a S&W 617 or a DW would be in order when he shows he can shoot with iron sights. I DO NOT believe in teaching HUNTERS to shoot with autos.  I love my autos, but they are rather limited (with a few notable exceptions that likely don't apply) in the hunting arena.  Almost every hunting-class handgun that is not a single shot will be a revolver, so that is the natural route in my opinion.  Keep it fun, keep it simple, and enjoy the time with your boy.  He'll be so big, so fast, and interested in things that aren't nearly as good for him as hunting and shooting that you'll thank youself for spending the time and having the fun that doesn't involve all the bad things that a youngster can get himself into.