Author Topic: dall sheep  (Read 794 times)

Offline catdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
dall sheep
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »
does alaska offer good dall sheep hunting,also which part of your state would be best for these animals,east by the yukon, south by anchorage, central around fairbanks,or the northern portion  ;)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: dall sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:34 PM »
I'm no sheep hunter but I hate to see your question get no responses. First, quite a few areas are now limited to special drawing or permit hunts. Last I heard the Brooks Range was one of the easier hunts and portions may not have as many restrictions as other parts of the state.  I think the Wrangell Mts still produce the biggest horns, and the Tok special management area is still popular. I suggest  you check out the Alaska Fish and Game web site for hunting regulations, they may have some general information on sheep hunting in the state too. You might want to google for some guide websites and  there may be a book or two out there about Alaskan sheep hunting. If you get a chance its a great hunt but it can be really tough - though I've heard goat hunting can be even tougher.  I can vouch that sheep meat is very fine eating.  And old friend shared sheep tenderloins with me last time I saw him. Also as a kid my parents had an avid sheep hunting friend and we enjoyed some great meals (back then there were few regulations and he hunted every year often successfully).  HTH
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline catdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:43:56 AM »
thank you for your reply dand  ;D i looked it up, there's too many rules,where you can and cant hunt,and even if i did draw a tag , wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to costly, like 2 grand for the tag and god knows how much for a guide which is mandatory if your a non resident,back to deer and squirrels untill i hit the lottery

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:30:32 AM »
I also have never hunted sheep...  have been up after goats.. but in areas where there is no sheep. 

From what I have heard, the brooks is still the best place, but that is fly in, from a guide who knows the area, and won't get you lost while you are looking for them.  There are a few on the road system.. but finding them is the problem..  Some in the talkeetnas, some on the west side of the harding ice field.  Finding them is usually the problem then.

I guess the real person to ask would be the guide, if you have the money like you said before....
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."