Author Topic: batons  (Read 893 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
batons
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »
i know this is for Concealed Carry Handguns  but i would like to know how many people also carry batons? I just turned 21(voted for the first time and was also going to buy a handgun) well i was also was going to try to take a class for a CCP and  was going to get a pocket gun(38 or 380) or maybe a glock 27 or 30 for CC and a cobray m11(hey, 210$ if you buy it today)  for home. But there no ranges within 30 miles and there no real crime here(there a purse grabbing or something like that) so i just got myself a 21'' baton for Self Defense. Most times i run into homeless people or animals when hunting or just woods walking and i don't want kill anyone or anyones dog so, also that why i got it.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: batons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »
Jamal,

I've never tried a baton before, but back in high school, so very long ago, my friend who had moved from Hawaii showed us how to make nunchucks in wood shop. I thought I was getting pretty good at using them, that is, until I hit myself really hard in the melon one day. I didn't completely hang them up at that point though. It wasn't until I whacked myself so hard in the family jewels that I could barely walk for a week that I finally decided my nunchuck days were over. However, I also had a Harmon Killebrew Replica, Louisville Slugger bat that just seemed more practical for my applications, including baseball.  ;) 
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline handi270

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
I thought about getting one about a year ago.  That is until the saleslady, who was quite knowlegeable, told me that unless you really know how to use one there is a great possibility that you may have it taken away from you and be on the receiving end. :P

Made a lot of sense to me, of course I am much older than you and don't have the strength and stamina for a sustained assualt. So I took the concealed carry course. ;)

By the way, I did buy some pepper spray from her.

just my $.02

Offline dbriannelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
I studied arnis in the Philippines and escrima after returning to CONUS.  A stick can be very effective if you know what you're doing.  That said, I never carried one around.  Thought it would look silly.

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »
Here on the left coast state of WA, batons are concealed weapons.  I can get a concealed pistol license, but that does not allow me to carry anything else.  Go figure?

Anyway, I used to carry a key ring baton till I decided it was too big to carry.  Essentially no one looked twice at it though.  Even security at work either was clueless as to the regs on such a critter or told me life was OK unless I used it.  I figured I take that chance as I would only use it in time of need.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:57:22 AM »
I thought about getting one about a year ago.  That is until the saleslady, who was quite knowledgeable, told me that unless you really know how to use one there is a great possibility that you may have it taken away from you and be on the receiving end. :P

Made a lot of sense to me, of course I am much older than you and don't have the strength and stamina for a sustained assault. So I took the concealed carry course. ;)

By the way, I did buy some pepper spray from her.

just my $.02

I never liked pepper spray(i took a hit of one one time to test out just how powerful they are and it just piss me off and did not really stop me) the kimber PepperBlaster is one with very high stopping power but the rest you are better off with yelling at them. most batons (unless it's a ASP, Monadnock or Casco) don't last past a few uses and also most time it make a real good " do you really want some" tool. the 21'' Expandable batons  ride well in a pocket or on a belt. If i lived somewere that had more crime then i would by a gun , but here there no need most times for a  Lethal options and most things can be solve with a show of force and a  Less-Lethal options. when i get a car then you bet i will get a CCP cause it will be needed but for now the baton will work.

thanks for you .02cents. What do you think of a glock 27 ,30, or 33 as a carry gun? I like power over number of shots and they all look good.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:30 AM »
A couple things you should think about.  In almost any court, a night stick / baton has and will be held to be a deadly weapon.  If you use it, you had better be able to back it up with a "use of deadly force defence".  To be effective, it will cause injury, so be prepaired for a law suit. It also means you have to be close to your attacker, and dependant on your physical ability and training.

OC (pepper spray) allows you to maintain a distance from your attacker, is NOT considered by the courts to be deadly force, and is very effective if properly used.  I have been involved in or witnessed the application of OC in well over 100 incidents, and I can tell you, its a rare man indeed who can continue to function in an effective manor after being sprayed.  Use a small law enforcement type fogger spray, put it on target (the face), and you are good to go.  I think most OC failures are from people using small, stream type sprays who do not make good contact with the subjects eyes/mouth/nose.  Also remember, your not a cop, your not trying to take someone into custody, just get em off you, give yourself an opening to walk away...

A good plan would be a carry gun (I like the Glock 26/27 series), along with a can of spray.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »
I have seen people with a stick be charged with a felony for threatening an intruder in Colorado and he was convicted on those charges.  He only had the stick for protection but the perk and his buddy, said he threatened him.  So much for carrying a stick.   I have had Glocks and shot lots of them.  Never found one I really liked.  My personal favorite is the XD 9 Subcompact.  Makes for good conceal and can shoot 2 inch groups at 20 yards with it. 

Again, just my .02cents

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
A couple things you should think about.  In almost any court, a night stick / baton has and will be held to be a deadly weapon.  If you use it, you had better be able to back it up with a "use of deadly force defence".  To be effective, it will cause injury, so be prepaired for a law suit. It also means you have to be close to your attacker, and dependant on your physical ability and training.

OC (pepper spray) allows you to maintain a distance from your attacker, is NOT considered by the courts to be deadly force, and is very effective if properly used.  I have been involved in or witnessed the application of OC in well over 100 incidents, and I can tell you, its a rare man indeed who can continue to function in an effective manor after being sprayed.  Use a small law enforcement type fogger spray, put it on target (the face), and you are good to go.  I think most OC failures are from people using small, stream type sprays who do not make good contact with the subjects eyes/mouth/nose.  Also remember, your not a cop, your not trying to take someone into custody, just get em off you, give yourself an opening to walk away...

A good plan would be a carry gun (I like the Glock 26/27 series), along with a can of spray.

Larry

man :o i guess i should have thoght that out more, anyways i can still use it for ani-varmint defense(like coyotes or something along those lines) when going about in the woods or fishing.  about how much you think law enforcement type fogger spray would be?

Offline G2Driver

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
Being a little more advanced in years i now use a cane. I also took a few lessons in how to use it in self defense. It doesn't cause alarm and it give me comfort in more ways than one. We do not have conceal carry in this state and spring assist knifes are jail bait as are anything that resembles a club so the cane fills the gap.