Author Topic: ? about .30cal AR's  (Read 1429 times)

Offline shb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
? about .30cal AR's
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
I wanted a light, handy semi-auto rifle for hogs. probably a spotlight on the scope, and a laser dot.

my first thought was that I wanted a ruger mini 30, and then send it off to one of those accurizing shops.

everyone I've talked to says "just get an AR", so I started looking at some and searching some forums.

I would like one in 7.62X39, (most shots are way less than 100yds) but have read that they have feeding problems. Are there any other small, handy  .30 calibers available?

It has to be varmint rifle accurate, and as light and handy as possible. I know those can be mutualy exclusive sometimes.

any helpful Ideas?

thanks guys

and out of curiosity's sake, has anyone ever made a 7mmX39?

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: ? about .30cal AR's
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
I had a 7.62x39 back when they were introduced, feeding it was a headache till I shed myself of it.  The new 6.5 and 6.8 look more promising but again feeding concerns and general supply logistics caused me to avoid them when I bought a lower in August.

I do have a DPMS Panther in .308, its carefree.  But the 24" version is NOT what you want to carry unless you 1) have a gun bearer (or two) or 2) a little red wagon to drag it around in.  The short versions could be OK.

Think Remington just introduced a ".30 AR" chambering for their AR series.  Might be worth a look.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »
I have a 7.62x39 AR upper, and it's never had a feeding problem(yet).  I honestly wouln't think twice about taking a mini 30 out to the field either if most shots were going to be inside 100 yards.  I think the SKS is another rifle to consider.  I have one that will shoot a 4" group with cheap ammo, which is every bit as good as a mini will shoot.  I know this is definitely not varminter accuracy, but I think it would work for shooting hogs.  If accuracy really is a must and you're willing to spend the $$ on an AR platform, I would reccommend the AR 10 in .308.  One of those should be as tight shooting as their .223 counterparts and provide plenty of knockdown power for deer or hogs.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »
 I use a beowulf  on hogs. If you go with an m4 barrel on the AR you wont have the feeding problems in the 7.62x39 due to the improved ramps. Personally I would like a bit heavier bullet than the 7.62x39 could fit in a magazine. Such as the 300 whisper. Or the .30 AR the fellow above mentioned. I have a 30-223 that should be about the same and can fit 240 gr. bullets in an AR magazine.
BTW a 7.62x39mm in AR is capable of 1.2"  with factory ammo,2.4" with wolf ammo and .88" with reloads in my m4. In my heavy barrel with m4 ramp profile it will do .38" off of reloads.
Molon labe

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:55:43 AM »
You have a couple options when it comes to using a .30cal.  One, is the 7.62x39 upper.  From what I've read, they are accurate with good loads (not the cheap wolf stuff).  If you handload, I'm sure you can get it down to varmint accuracy. 

My choice would be to step up to the "AR-10" platform (Armalite AR-10 or DPMS .308).  You would have a lot more range, availability of good, quality ammo, and good accuracy.  I have a AP4 on order, but I won't get it for another couple months yet.  It shows a weight of a little over 8lbs, but I ordered it with the carbon fiber handguard, and I plan on having the barrel turned down.  I should be able to get it to around 7 to 7.5 lbs.  That wouldn't be too bad for a rifle that will travel a little.

Otherwise, you could always step up to the .50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM ( ;D), or the .450 Bushmaster.  These all work on standard lowers and are good out to about 200 yards, maybe farther with a competent shooter.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »
 Well bug remember now they are offering that 762x39 in a 154 grainer these days so that might get is ballisticly into the realm of the 300 whisper ..
 I never had horrible accuracy out of my mini 30 (7.62x39) though yes if you get one and it isnt being as accurate as you want  accuracy systems barrel work is always an option to get those groups down to varmint class groups ..
 I Have one of the shorter barreled DPMS LR 308 AP4s' in question and its about 7.5 to 8 pounds  with its 16" barrel ..And by comparison to my 20" barreled Colt A2 AR with scope and full length four rail forearm, that AP4 is LITE  ;D . I wouldnt hesitate to pound on pigs at any distance with it ...It is the rifle i used to drop my first buffalo..
 I wouldnt think the 762x39 AR platform to be a bad idea though , especially if tight groups are a must .

But a good Remmie 7600 in 308 or 3006 might suit your purposes too and its no heavier then anything else mentioned here so far

Hope that helps in some way  ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:14:19 AM »
 Thanks Default, I had no idea, I ordered some Prvi Partizan 154 gr. These two rifles hate .308 diameter bullets. That might be a good setup for the OP if he figures on an sks, mini or AR.

SHB, it's hard to say what accuracy a rifle will have. Just a broad picture in stock form a very good shooting  sks or mini 30 will go about 2". The less accurate ones around 4" or more. Both would cover a 100 yard rifle since first shot impact most likely will be within an inch.
As for varmint rifle accurate, what do you mean? Are you going to be after smaller critters too? The problem I have with the 7.62x39 is available ammo. Wolf is too dirty and inaccurate. Prvi Partizan is going up in price and getting hard to find. If you go with the American factory ammo, your in the price range of some very good calibers like the 6.8 spc. It is not an issue with the round itself just the bad QC in a lot of the Russian factories. I think their only concern is it goes bang every time, which it does.
Molon labe

Offline shb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:59:42 AM »
I've been doing a little reading about .300 whispers, anyone have any experience with these?

do they feed fine in an AR?

are they as accurate as some of the claims?

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 02:46:16 AM »
You will find plenty to read about every AR variant over at ar15.com.  The guys there do everything possible to their rifles in every caliber. 

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »
 Yes they are accurate given you have a good barrel. Generally most AR's will do 1" or better in rifle calibers as long as you stay away from er shaw barrels (model 1 sales) and the very thin profile barrels.  I do not know of a current complete factory mainstream ar in 300 whisper. You can buy a lower than purchase a 300 upper.
 However I would take a look at two other calibers. The 6.8 spc is slightly more powerful and flatter shooting  than a 7.62x39mm. I have taken deer with this caliber. You have several factory loads. It is factory chambered in many ar's. And shoots flatter and is more powerful than the 300 whisper.

Olympic chambers a 25 wssm which also has factory bullets available. Currently this is the most powerful flat shooting ar round offered. I have taken elk with it.
 For reference from Wikipedia

300 Whisper  125 gr 2100 fps 1224 lbs
                   220 gr 1040 fps 0549 lbs

7.62x39mm   123 gr 2300 fps 1480 lbs
                   154 gr 2104 fps 1519 lbs

6.8 rem sps   115 gr 2625 fps 1759 lbs

25 wssm         75 gr 3775 fps 2374 lbs
                     85 gr 3547 fps 2375 lbs
                   100 gr 3264 fps 2366 lbs
                   115 gr 2999 fps 2297 lbs
                   120 gr 2985 fps 2375 lbs
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:27 AM »
Hi All,

I'm building an AR as we speak.  I'm wondering...can the 6.8 handle 130gr bullets????
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 03:38:12 AM »
I used to have a 6.8 upper and the 130gr rounds won't fit into the magazines if you go by the reloading books overall length.  I think they can be fed one by one, depending on the how much room your chamber has.  I mostly stuck with the standard 110gr. or 115gr. bullets because anything else becomes kind of a pain in the rear.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »
OK...thanks Teddy!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!