Author Topic: 10 gauge to USH conversion  (Read 529 times)

Offline jwiedmayer

• Trade Count: (0)
10 gauge to USH conversion
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
I converted my 10gauge to USH by sending the gun out to NEF to get barrel fitted. Then I had it fluted and coated. I installed the gunstock inc stock and forearm.  I never fired the gun or inspected it after I got it back from NEF.  I went right into customizing it. Now that it is throwing bullets all over the target I have noticed that the barrel seems loose. If you grab it by fore arm you can feel and hear it move. I thinks it at the root of my problems.  I'm afraid that NEF will not work on it since I fluted the barrel.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? Or do they know any gunsmiths that know these guns?  This is the finished product.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 10 gauge to USH conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:10:17 AM »
Awsome looking gun you got there!!!

Here is a link to the FAQ's page.  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html  You will find all that is needed here to fix your USH yourself.  I have a custom USH also and love them.
Corey
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
I like the fluting.  Very nice looking gun.  Something I found that has helped a couple of my rifles is to tighten up the forend to receiver fit.  What I have used is simple.  I am sure that you get junk mail like a good share of us.  I have saved some of the sample "credit cards" that get sent.  The plastic ones.  Then I have removed the plastic end of the forend, laid it on the plastic card and traced it and cut out a spacer to place between the plastic part and the wood forend.  Then put it all back together.  In both cases it tightened things up without being too tight.  It is simple to do and UN-DO if it doesn't help.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »
If the barrel is loose when the action is closed without the forend installed, it needs to go back to H&R for replacement as they won't shim it to repair it, but you or a gunsmith could, see barrel fitting in the FAQs and Help sticky on that.

Shimming the forend spacer as shown in the FAQs will tighten the barrel when the action is open, but it will also mask a loose fitting barrel which will still be inaccurate.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »
My barrels locked up tight when closed without the forend, but would just flop open when the barrel release was pressed.  I had just made an assumption (I know) that the barrel was fitted correctly at the factory.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:39 AM »
Unfortunately, they don't fit them all correctly. :-\

Tim

Offline jwiedmayer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:18:31 AM »
For giggles I took a pop can and cut a piece out. Put it beteen the pivot pin and the barrel and everything locked up nice and the the ejector is still loose. So I guess the next step is to get the cheap feeler gauge and jb weld it in. I don't think that H&R will work on the barrel now that is fluted. I'm a little worried about sending it there and not getting it back functional!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 05:16:41 AM »
If you don't mind getting a factory barrel back, it won't hurt to call and ask them about replacing it, be up front and tell them the barrel has been modified, see what they say, toll free (866)776-9292.

Tim