Author Topic: NEF 10 Gauge Slug Barrel  (Read 1899 times)

Offline CT Dolan

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF 10 Gauge Slug Barrel
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the 24" 10-gauge slug barrel fitted with rifle sights (accuracy, etc.)?  I have beel thinking of having one fitted to my 10 gauge, however I have not been able to find more than a casual mention on the site about this option (basically nothing more than the fact that it exists).  I realize that I could get a 12 gauge Ultra barrel fitted to my action, but if anyone has any thoughts or experience with regard to the 10 gauge slug barrel, please let me know.

Thanks.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: NEF 10 Gauge Slug Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
I got 6" groups at 50 yards  with the one I had.  The only problem is if federal slugs don't shoot your SOL cause they are the only 10 gauge slugs  made.
If you do get one pad the front of the trigger gaurd if you plan on using a bench rest to sight it in, I shot 27 slugs in one setting one time
Roy
B.T.W. the federal slugs don't do well in my 32" barrel ten
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline CT Dolan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  6-8" at 50 yards is about what I get with slugs through what I have now, which is 32" barrel full-choke 10 gauge.  The bead pretty much covers the group, so there is no saying what it could do with a set of sights.  Were it not for the fact that I might hunt turkey some day, I would lop off the choke and fit the gun with a front sight and peep.  But, I'd hate to ruin an otherwise perfect shotgun for turkey, and having not measured the bore I am not sure what the result would be anyway.

I am not all that hot on the Federal load (it being just a big hunk of soft lead).  What I'm REALLY after (and the reason for my post, I suppose) is a 10-bore that I can use to tinker with full-bore slugs of hardened lead, however ones that will still fly with at least a measure of precision, and hardened slugs need a cylinder bore.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:40:57 AM »
I hand load a hardened 20 gauge slug for a tracker II. I would be interested in info on that hardened 10 gauge slug. I wish my 32" 10 gauge did 6"-8" with the federals, mine won't keep 5 on a 9" paper plate past 25 yards
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
there is a lot of info at nitroexpress.com in the bore gun and paradox forum. A hard round ball is a wicked thing out of a 12 or 10 guage. I have gotten 3 inch groups out of my smooth bore mossberg using the fin stabilized round balls from Ballistic products at 50 yards.

Offline CT Dolan

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I do not yet have a mould (first I need a barrel around which to build a mould, one I'll probably hone for my needs as I need a good fit).  I have a lot of ideas running around in my head, things with which I would love to tinker, but I first need a platform.  I've always been a big bore fan, and even though the 577 NE is a better gun, I fell victim to the 600 NE just like pretty much everyone else (just hold one of those 900-grain slugs in your hand and you know you've got something!).  By the way, thanks for the link to nitroexpress.com.  I just went on and registered.  I am an old-school gun nut and used to have pretty much every book, magazine etc. published on the subject of the old Nitro Express calibers, their rifles, etc.  But, some time ago I left the field and passed on most of what I had (guns and all).  But now I am back, and my how the world has changed!!!  What I used to pay dear $$$ to read about and learn is now often freely shared online, or so it would seem.  Of course, discernment is always a much-needed needed skill.  In other words, some share true gems, while others just share bull, but it is all good fun and hopefullly we all learn something in the process, for the better of the shooting community.

However, as I think about it further, with regard to the 10-bore I'll probably just work with the barrel I have.  I'll either lop off the end, or hone out the choke (and the whole barrel to some extent, giving the inside from end to end a VERY, VERY slight taper toward the muzzle).  I also might do this to save money because I'd like to get a Tracker II.  I have some ideas I want to work on with a rifled bore, and the Tracker II would be a great platform.  The Ultra would be an even better platform (accuracy, recoil, etc.), but I want to hunt with the gun as well and the Tracker II is much more my style when it comes to something I am going to have to carry around the woods.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »
you can get hard cast slugs from Dixie slugs look up the website and shoot James a email he will sell the slugs for reloading. 

Offline CT Dolan

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
Thanks, will do.  Shooting is only half the fun, working up your own loads is the other half.  Those who don't have no idea what they're missing, and bore rifles are the ideal platform for doing having fun!

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:30:31 PM »
"I shot 27 slugs in one setting one time"

Roy you are an animal ;D Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
"I shot 27 slugs in one setting one time"

Roy you are an animal ;D Kurt

Just a "big" hillbilly ;D
 those slugs are no where near as bad as them !@##@!# 3 1/2" twelve gauge turkey loads.
And since  I'm soon to be employed again, I can resume some of my experiments again  I'm going to  be sending James another order again soon ;D
Of coarse my first day back is the first day of deer season >:( oh well
Between the new job and moving the deer are safe this year  . but the new place I should be able to test fire in the back yard ;D
Roy

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 02:15:02 AM »
Roy,

The Beagles and the Rabbits are where is't at! ;D

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 04:30:38 AM »
Nothing better than being able to shoot in the back yard !
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline CT Dolan

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
I did the opposite, moved from where I could shoot in the back yard to where I couldn't.  I miss that, being able to stroll out the back door, go behind the barn and fire off a few.  Now that I live in town I have to go to my parent's farm, which is not more than a few miles away, but is still not nearly as convenient.  However, out there is where I learned the finer points of shooting, and hunting.  Many a brick of 22's were let off over there when I was young.  Those were good days.

Offline Old Gun Runner

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 05:49:38 AM »
I too am looking for the slug barrel. Years ago I had this very set up, recoil wasnt.....too hatefull, but you knew you were uncorking something big LOL. I am mainly going to use mine as a house gun,,,, I know, a bit excessive, but why fool around, right?