Author Topic: Blinds...  (Read 915 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Blinds...
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:02:47 AM »
I just picked one up last night... http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/881_oneman.html

I liked the idea and hadn't seen them before. Anyone using them or like them?

Just curious,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Blinds...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:32 AM »
Just ordered one for Christmas, we'll learn togather. While I know it works, I've never been one to sit still while hunting. Maybe I'm becoming patient enough to sit for awhile now and wore out knee and hip joints will remind me.

One reason I have always had trouble sitting is it's hard to dress right. If you dress warm enough to sit you start sweating on the way to the spot. If you are dressed to walk, as soon as I set down I freeze. I'm planning to leave a blanket and extra cloths in the blind, and being in a blind will keep even the little unnoticed breezes from robbing body heat. I may even put some sort of heater in the blind, but even though they say critters don't notice, I'm sceptical about that.

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:44:30 AM »
My son-in-law recieved one different manufacturer I believe but same principal from his wife he had to have it!!   When he recieved it he said hell no its too heavy and I agreed and it had vary little room inside, I believe the larger ground blind with a swivel chair will do better for me as you can only see in one direction with the little tent type.   Jim

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:05:16 AM »
I love the idea of a blind like that. I have limited hunting experience because I don't know any hunters and I've done strictly guided hunts. Those have always had me up in a stand. But, I am looking hard at some of these blinds that might make it easier to get out in the woods and hunt at the drop of a hat. I also like the benefit of concealment and wind protection.

Keep us posted with the results.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:38:30 AM »
I 've had one for awhile.
http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/outhouse.html
Works out great just kick the leaves out so your not crunching around inside. I just use one of the 5 gallon buckets with swivel seat and a little burner on a lantern cylinder. This ones light, throw it like a pup tent and it's set up. Never had a problem of them smelling the burner. Actually had them come in from down wind a few times when warming up cider and hot chocolate.
Molon labe

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:59:05 AM »
I have the Doghouse Blind, which affords me room inside.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
I have another companys version of the Outhouse blind. Enough room for a small stool/chair, sets up in minutes and light to pack in.  If I had to set it up and leave it I would put a swivel type chair in there. I end up not looking behind me and keep those windows zipped up and look out 3 sides.  had a doe walk right up behind me and I spooked her as I moved the chair and bumped the backside of the blind!  She later walked out of the woods in front of me, but I missed with the arrow.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
The one I spoke abt. that the son-in-law recieved was built into the chair and kinda worked like a clam-shell folding over the hunter while he sat in the chair, I only remember one window in the front of his though.  Jim

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »
I also have the Ameristep outhouse. I just put on of the folding chairs in it. easy to pack in and out. I like the look of the smaller on that fit over the chair. You must report on how it works for you.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 01:16:47 AM »
Well, I have used it 5-6 times now and do like it very much. It blocks the wind and likely allot of your scent as well. I haven't seen any deer from it so I don't know the reactions. I was going to leave it out this AM, but plans had to be changed.. as you can tell, I didn't get out this am.

I found a very nice likely spot. Seems to me because you cannot do anything behind the blind when your inside it. Its best to back it up into thick stuff and just worry about the front. So that's how I have been setting it up. But watching the wind has proved difficult. This spot I found is a bit swampy with reed grass all along one side and firm flat level ground. Best of all, 40+- yards, clear, right in front, is three runs crossing and a tree with some quite impressive rubs on it.

I was there last night, (no chair) and watched two does walk thru and mill around. This whole area is choked with briar's and cattails and reed grass. There is nothing open sans this little 1/8 acre opening where the runs cross. Its about 15-20 acres in size in the middle of a hard wood ridge.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 02:54:56 AM »
I have found that if you put your blind back into the "ruff" stuff they tend to blend in better. Also you only need to open the window that you need. I have the Outhouse blind that the window could be opened on all sides. It is better to just use one.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 06:49:56 AM »
I have this one PVC blind I really like it best, except it is heavy (22lbs) and the PVC fittings are brittle in the cold.

And 2 of these dog house blinds. One has a floor and this one doesn't.

Since I am hunting private property I set them up a couple of weeks before the season opens.
Some of the things I don't like about the dog house blinds are the fine teeth of the zippers. Was more than once I could not get the frozen zipper open till I coated them heavy with bees wax. The grip is the seams leak like water poured out of a boot. I wonder why they don't seam seal them at the factory or at least place a tag warning you that you need to buy some seam sealer or your gonna get wet if it rains.

Setting out like that I still have deer nearly wanting to get in the blind with me.

;D Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com