Author Topic: The History Channel  (Read 969 times)

Offline LCR

• Trade Count: (0)
The History Channel
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:02:27 AM »
Did any of you by chance watch "Lock and Load" on The History Channel? I found it entertaining that an M16 in 5.56 NATO has an effective range of 600 yards and a 1903 Springfield in 30-06 has an effective range of 1100 yards but the M1 in 30-06 is only 500 yards. ::) Hollywood needs to learn the song before they start singing. :D
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
Re: The History Channel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:11:54 AM »
Have you seen Time Warp where they test dragon skin body armor?

The narrator says they shoot the vest with a "three-oh-six" rifle. I'm pretty sure it was a "thirty-ot-six" or as commonly read "30-06".

As far as assault rifles of WWII, I've got a couple. My favorite is the Japanese Arisika, type 99 I believe, in 7.7 Jap.  The rifle itself is taller than most Japanese, add on the 18"+ bayonet, and you can stick frogs from across the room.

The sights are the best, got a regular peep sight and a folding ladder sight calibrated  from like 2 to 15. So I'm guessing it calibrated to either 1500 yards or meters. I spoke to a WWII Marine who said it wasn't uncommon to receive rifle fire from more than a 1000 yards away. I don't know how accurate it was, but I'm sure it kept them on their toes.

There are also two arms about 4 inches long that fold out the side of the ladder sight, both of those are calibrated with a "1" and a "2". I've read that these were used for "leading" aircraft and make accurate hits on passing airplanes. I guess it would work on slower aircraft, but who knows.

My Grandfather had one that he had sporterized with a cheap scope back in like 1954. I know he shot a lot of deer and coyotes with it all his life and it was plenty accurate. He didn't quite shooting it until his quadruple bypass he had when he was like 75. After that, it was 22's only.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:28:59 PM »
Yeah, I saw that Time Warp and I was thinking they probably meant 308 but I'll bet you are right and it was a .30-06. 

Idjits

Just a shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »
I can't remember is the sight on the garand numbered? If so the TV airheads may have looked at the highest number and called it max range.

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
The maxium effective range of the M16 a1 rifle is 460 meters, the maxium range is 2653 meters. Fact's like these and polished boot's got me out of a lot of Guard duty. Just sit on you "ARSE" and hope no one get sick or twist and ankle!

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
The History Channel is a total joke.  Their so-called "experts" are usually anything but.  They especially infuriate me whenever flintlocks are tested.  Where they find these folks, I do not know.

Offline LCR

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:34:58 AM »
I can't remember is the sight on the garand numbered? If so the TV airheads may have looked at the highest number and called it max range.

I'm pretty sure the rear battle sight on my M1 rifle goes up to 1200yds. The funny thing is, that "Gunny" feller was the host and as far as I know, he's a Marine. If so, he should know better. Hathcock proved the 30 gov't 06 can make reliable kills well past 1200yds. It's documented. ;)

Offline LCR

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 04:36:22 AM »
The History Channel is a total joke.  Their so-called "experts" are usually anything but.  They especially infuriate me whenever flintlocks are tested.  Where they find these folks, I do not know.

Amen.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »
  You guys are exactly right. And when a .38 Special Lead Round Nose hits you just put a band-aid on and continue what you were doing, because the wound would just "close up".Apparently, Lee Harvey Oswald did'nt get that message... ::)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:53:35 AM »
  You guys are exactly right. And when a .38 Special Lead Round Nose hits you just put a band-aid on and continue what you were doing, because the wound would just "close up".Apparently, Lee Harvey Oswald did'nt get that message... ::)

Are you reading the same thread as everyone else?  ???

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 01:28:53 AM »
Well i have seen the dragon skin tested and what was used on it was the 5.56 NATO , 7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO ..
  I dont ever recall them testing the 06 on it ...

But since the 06 and 308 are comperable in energy and velocity  ( this was the goal of the 308/7.62 NATO with lighter weight bullets i.e. 147 gr. etc) i dont see how an 06 would have any better chance of penetrating this armor if the 7.62 NATO isnt doing it .

But i do agree strongly , I notice it alot .. The little ohh this and OOhhh that hollywood reality on topics they that seem to next to nothing about....

But hey guys dont let that fact stop them from scaring sheeple into demanding something banned ... ANYONE remember the teflon coated 9mm cop killer ammo from the lethal weapon movies????  AND what happened to the teflon coated Black Talons ??

Dont get me started  heh ..

Yeahhhh ... anywho time for work  ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason