Author Topic: Opening day in Mississippi  (Read 631 times)

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Opening day in Mississippi
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:22:43 AM »
Well it's finally here, opening day is tomorrow. I'm carrying my Dad's 30-06 Model 700 (1963) for old times sake. I worked up a new load with 150 gr. Accubonds, and they shoot 3/4" @ 100 yds. We bought the groceries last night, the firewood is already cut, the truck is loaded and waiting on me to get off of work, so we can head out. The weather is going to be perfect (for a change) and we're going hunting for 5 days. What more could you ask for. :)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Opening day in Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »
Wow, Our opening day is monday 24th, and I will be carrying my Dad's 30-06 model 700 (1963) and just guess the load, your gonna laugh! The 150 gr accubond. This is the third year and four deer later that I've used that combo and am very happy with it. Wish I could have one more hunt with Dad, but just marked ten years last sunday since he has passed.Just hunting with his rifle brings back so many memories!!
Be sure and tell us about the hunt when you get back,and best of luck!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
Well I got a nice 8 pt. with Dad's rifle. The 150 Accubonds worked great, hit the deer in the front shoulder and exited the offside ribcage. The deer hit the ground right there. I felt like Dad would have been proud. Hopefully I'll get another one. :)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »
Good to hear you got one John  ;) I got a 7 pt the 2nd day of our season, the accubond took the top of the heart off and exited the offside shoulder. Deer turned took one step and down he went. Pretty much like the others so I'm happy with them.
I have to work all week but hope to hunt Saturday which is last day of buck season. Hope you get another one!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers