Author Topic: new scope  (Read 706 times)

Offline billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
new scope
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
Which of these do you think is a better scope and why,vari-III ,elite 4200 or Nikon monarch ,looking at 3x9x40or 50.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: new scope
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
Leupold does not make a 3-9 VX-III.

Personally I'd rank the three you asked about like this best to least best as you really can't say worst at this quality level. Elite 4200, Leupold VX-III, Nikon Monarch. I'm sure not all will agree with that ranking and for them perhaps it's not correct just as it might not be for you.

I've really never understood the Elite 4200 3-9 and how it can fit into the Elite 4200 line which has a 4X magnification range and the Elite 3200 a 3X magnification line. It's a scope that seems to not belong.

If you want a 3-9x40 I'd say go for the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40. When I want a 3-9 I do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:04:35 PM »
You save alot buying a Leupold. you know ther clear they hold zero. Peole will buy a nice rifle  and put a cheap scope on it and are happy with either  you buy a leupold you'll not be disappointed
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »
I suggest Leupold, in order to receive the absolute stellar unmatched customer service and warranty.

If you want a Leupold VX-III in 3.5-10x 40mm that's cool too, honestly I cant see the need for anything above the VX-II in 3-9x 40mm for any caliber rifle.

I don't recommend any of the others, since Leupold give me all I need and more.  Well worth the money, no comparison.

I also buy older used Leupold's Vari-X II & III's very cheap with complete confidence and have had some repaired or replaced for brand new ones when I send them in for repair.

yooper77

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »
I own all three brands.  All are excellent scopes Optically.  Each seem to leap frog each other over time.

The last three I've bought have been Leupold VX-III's for a couple of reasons.

First, it's an american owned company.

Second, Leupold Customer service is known to be second to none and has a transferable lifetime warranty without a receipt usually meaning they are easier to resell if necessary.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
I`m another Leupold fan. I have a pile of rifles and most wear the old 3 x 9 Vari x 11. I do like the vari x 111 alittle better if money is not an Issue.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
Having had Leupolds for some 40 years or more, I look a little more carefully today and rank the three mentioned a little different than Graybeard. Nikon Monarch, Elite 4200, then Leupold VXIII. The only edge the Leu's have is custom reticles. Yes, the VXIII's are made in the US (with Chinese parts). Service is a non-issue as most of the better manufactures will simply replace your defective scope with a new one. Yes, I know Leupold has a custom shop which will do custom work but then I've never had to use them or plan to in the future. A good choice can only be made by putting them side by side for a look through and in the end any one of the three will serve you well. Just depends on how much you want to spend. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline billy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »
Well i got my new scope today and it is a nikon monarch 2.50x10x42 very clear good looking scope ,anyone use one and how do you like it?
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
never  used elite

like  my vx? leupold  had  a  long  time  no problem
i think  my nikon  looks better  as  far  as image quality

leupold  is  the standard  all  others  are  judged  by
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
I have about a dozen Leupolds.  Been a long time since I strayed - I have but I've always returned.  My only disappointment is their LPS high end model.  I like the VX-III just as well.  Nothing wrong with the VX-II in 4X12 either.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
I'm waiting for Leupold to come out with the new Redfields! Untill then my Monarch seems to be clearer than the Leupolds I've looked at the range. Never tried a 4200.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte