Author Topic: What caliber handgun do you use for deer?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
What caliber handgun do you use for deer?
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »
I am thinking about buying a revolver, primarily for deer hunting but will reload and do some target shooting, plinking too. What do you use, what would you suggest?

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: What caliber handgun do you use for deer?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:43:38 PM »
Hi Joe

I have killed deer with .357 mag, 45 acp, 45 LC, and 44 mag.  By far the majority with 45 LC and 44 mag.

I think for all practical purposes, the 44 mag and the 45 LC with adequate hand loads are about equal.  I use only the 44 mag these days.  It can be loaded down, or use 44 special loads for practice.  I like 250 to 300 grain cast Keith/LBT, or xtp jacketed loads at around 1100 to 1300 fps for big game.  My main reason for getting away from hot loading the 45 LC is because I have acquired several Colt SAA type guns, and I am to disorganised to guarantee some of these heavy Ruger loads wont end up in the wrong gun.

I would look at S&W model 29 / 629, 6 inch barrel,  a Ruger Redhawk (not the super redhawk), or a Ruger super blackhawk.  Most guys find a longer barrel makes it easier to hit with, and reduces muzzle blast a little.  A lot of guys mount optics.  I like a red dot sight on mine.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:46:42 AM »
You need to decide at what range you expect to shoot your deer.  If your answer is 150 to 200 yards, don't get a revolver.  My long range Ohio legal big game handgun is a T/C Encore in 460 S&W Magnum which is good to at least 200 yards.  If you notice my avatar, I'm holding that handgun with a Klipspringer I took with it at about 180 yards off the top of a mountain in South Africa.

For handgun hunting up to 50 yards, a revolver will suffice; anything from 357 Magnum on up.  For revolver shooting up to 100 yards, get a GOOD handgun and you might get acceptable accuracy if you reload and fine tune a load for it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:32:19 AM »
I've used several different rounds to take deer and likely will again but more of my handgun kills were taken with the .44 magnum in various revolvers than any other single round. There are other choices as good but none better than the .44 magnum. It has all the power needed and is readily available in a variety of handguns and many factory loads. It's never a bad choice.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 06:08:09 AM »
Where we hunt 100yds. is a long distance shot, most are 50-75yds. I was debating between the 357 mag and the 44 mag. I like the idea of being able to load for it with lighter loads for practice too.

Now to save up some $$$ and keep my eyes open for the best deal I can find.

Since I am not familiar with revolvers, in a used one what should I look for as things to stay away from, or what would indicate a gun that has not been well cared for?

Thanks.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:31:05 AM »

Well I guess I will be the odd man out here, I have always used a .41mag when hunting, either a 14" T/C or my 6 1/2" Blackhawk. I am not afraid to use either one out to 200 yards, but that is only because I have practiced out to that range and shot IHMSA for years and years with both of them. I use a 265gr hard cast if I am hunting, the XTP does well also, but since it is only 210gr it looses to much energy past 125 yards or so. Just make sure that what ever you use that you practice with it and use a rest of some kind for the long shots.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:53:11 AM »
I would say the .44 mag. simply because componets for it are the most common. The .45 Colt is so close to the .44 mag. you won`t be able to tell the difference. If you want a little less recoil then the .41 mag. The .357 will do the job at shorter ranges but not as well at longer ranges.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
I use .454 Bull gun, it flatens deer and if you want to plink shove some .45LC's in it.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »
use to be for me 44mag 10 in ruger super blacki, now i use a 7.5 45long colt or my 357 7.5 in blackie, never liked the 44  for some reason and they are costly to  plink with , the 357 you can use 38spl

Offline Catfish

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:04:35 AM »
shaner,
 Cost isn`t bad if you load your own. A 240 gn. cast bullet over 6 gn. of Bullseye.
 That`s about 950 from a 7 1/2 in Supper Black Hawk, and would really be good enough for deer out to 100 yrds. with practice.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »
I would suggest that you find a buddy or buddies that have some different revolvers, and try them.  .357, 44, 45colt, 454, etc will all kill deer.  There are different mfg's and it's what feels good to you, and what you like to shoot.  I feel that the .357 is a little weak beyond 50 yards, and I like the .454, but load it down to warm 45 colt loads.  Many deer have ben killed with the .44 mag but I'm not fond of it even though I have one and use it sometimes.  I favor the Ruger guns, that's what I can afford and they are dependable and strong; that's not to say that others are not dependable.  What part of OH are you from?
BD

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
I killed a couple of Ohio deer with a T/C 45-70 a few years back.   I traded my 45-70 barrel for a .44 mag barrel because of the strong recoil of the 45-70.   I never had a chance to kill a deer with the .44 before I traded it.   I always liked the looks of the .357 maximum in a 10 inch barrel.   IMHO it would be agood buckeye deer killer.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
BD I am in Jefferson Co., Steubenville. Where are you?

I will probably buy a 357 mag. revolver early in 2009 and practice with it until I am comfortable with recoil and its limitations.  My hunting places are commonly about a 50 yd. shot so that should be plenty with this gun. 38 sp. will be fun for targets too  ;)

Joe

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:52:08 AM »
Right now it is an Encore in 44 Magnum, though I've not shot game with it yet, I'm confident it will do the job provided I do my part. I am comfortable out to 100 yards/meters with a rest at a slow or stopped target. I just purchased a 14" 357 MAX barrel on this site (Contender), and hope to have it set up for next year. The range will be about the same, not so much for the calibers' limitations as for my ability to put a round on target. I think factors to consider are the weapon, sights, round, the shooter, the environment, and the target. A 357 Magnum will work too, and 50 yards is a effective distance for the round. I've always liked the 357 Magnum, and the fact one can chamber 38 specials for General Purpose practice is a plus.

I've had S&W Model 29, 44 Magnum, Rugar 44 Magnum single and double action, S&W 586 357 Magnum, and maybe some that I can't remember right now. Nothing wrong with any of them, it's a matter of personal preference. In Ohio you are looking at at least a 5" barrel or longer, straightwall cartridge 357 Magnum or greater. I prefer the TC Contender or Encore with a scope for hunting these days. I started reloading several years ago and have spent many enjoyable hours developing a load and going to the range shooting. Being in the field hunting and taking game is just bonus time for me.

Have fun!

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »
JAl5 I'm in NW Ohio, West of Toledo a short way.  If you were closer I could help you out on trying some different handguns.