Author Topic: 32-20 Handi barrel  (Read 2912 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Re: 32-20 Handi barrel
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
That is what this thing is all about, figureing out how to do thngs better faster and different.  Not having to cut threads is a big plus in the simple department, I spend half of the time it takes to make one of these just cutting threads.  When you get some time please post some pictures of your process, sounds interesting.  Larry

You've got my attention :).  I'd like to see pictures too.  It seems a guy wouldn't need as much of a lathe to do it without threads.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
  I don't have any pictures of the barrels while I was doing the turning etc. I just received a 20 ga. barrel today that I bought on Gunbroker that will take some tweeking to make it fit my old H & R mod. 48 frame but my idea is to make it a 44 special with the process I was mentioning.
I made one last month for a friend that had a nice tight Brazilian made 20 ga. break barrel shotgun and he wanted me to make it into a short rifle.
I found that Gun Parts Corp. ( Numrich Arms Co. ) has chambered barrels for the IMI  Timberwolf rifles in .357 mag & 44 mag for about $ 25.00 ( new and unfired ). These barrels are about 18.5 ''long and are .800 dia with no taper. I cut the chambered end down to slightly over the 1.155 length of a 44 special but way to short so nobody could chamber a 44 magnum . On this gun I had to make a extension to silver solder onto the ejector to work with the rimmed 44 case , The end result was a nice light 18" barreled gun that shot under 1 "" at the 75 yards that I sighted it in at with a 2.75 X shotgun scope. Shot with 240 gr. XTP HPs.  My friends dad  took the gun out the first evening of gun season ( MI ) and shot a nice 9 pt. whitetail at a estimated 80-90 yards and dropped it where it stood.
As soon as I get this old barrel I bought to fit my frame I will try to post pictures of the process if I can get it to work for me.
I tried to post pics of a double rifle I made and a couple of my wildcats and they didn't show up ?
I have a dial up connection and sometimes this super slow computer of mine will get me to give up trying And for the guys out there that are ready to chide me on the do's and don'ts of no rifle barrels on cast iron frames, Please I have heard it before as has Larry ( trotterlg ) .
Thanks for your interest in the process.      Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:03 PM »
Sounds alot like relineing a shot out barrel, I checked into that one time and one of the proceedures was to use accraglas to glue the barrel liners in.  I can see no real problem as long as everything is clean and straight. I think I would only try this with low pressure chamberings thou, My 2 cents worth anyway. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 01:36:59 PM »
No offense to anyone but I think I like Larry's way better.
I like the idea of threads and pins holding things together.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
I've gotten distracted by the PD door prize barrel, but I am back on track with the 32-20 barrel.  It just worked out that one of the forearm studs on a 20 gauge shotgun barrel I had cut was just about the right ID for the barrel.  I bored it out a little to just fit to the right place on the barrel, I will drill the screw hole through and thread it the rest of the way in, then put a set screw in it to hold it in place.  I have done one other like this, after shaping it up a little with a grinder it makes a very nice barrel band and a standard hole size forearm will fit it.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
Done now except to sand blast it and parkerize.  Looks good, it will be fun to shoot.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »
Larry thank you for sharing this post with us and thanks for all the pictures!
I'll have to try my hand at doing one of these when I get a donor stub.

Thanks again!
Slufoot

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:52 PM »
It is fun to do, you can make up anything you like and then really shoot it.  Larry

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 03:45:41 AM »
Larry,

That's a great looking barrel, and your reusing of the forend lug / barrel band is brilliant !
I have a question, where do you get your surplus 303 barrels from ? ( If you don't mind saying ) .
I know you have used them before in some of your other stubbed barrels.   Thanks,   Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 05:16:35 AM »
They come from Numrich (E-Gunparts) they are $15.00 each.  Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 05:22:48 AM »
Lookin good Larry, as usual!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »
I had promised some better pictures of the parkerizing tank and here they are.  This is built in a cap for 3 inch PVC pipe.  This one is a little cleaner, I assembled the element and through bolt using black silicon seal, then I thinned some with mineral spirits and poured it in the bottom to totally seal all the joints.  You can see the element painted with high temperature black paint and the bolt that transfers the temperature of the liquid to the thermostat.  The back side shows the wireing I used.  It was raining when I carried it in the house, so you can see some little rain drops on the silicon seal in the picture.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
I am kind of stopped on the parkerizing of the PD rifle barrel and the 32-20 barrel, it rained for a week and now it is 18 degrees out.  I decided to test fire the 32-20 barrel to get that part done, so I just loaded it up with no ejector and fired a round.  Went through 3/4 inch of chip board, 3/4 inch of plywood and 3/4 of a Seattle phone book, plus, the barrel didn't blow up!  Interesting thing is how deep the rifleing engraves on the bullet, and now I know why most rifles have a right hand twist barrel (this one is a LH twist).  When you clean a rifle with a LH twist barrel it keeps unscrewing the jag on the cleaning rod!  Other thing is that the 32-20 seems just made for the Handi, the empty just fell out of the chamber with no ejector in it at all, just held the barrel up and the empty fell out.  Case must be just the right shape plus the rim to agree with a Handi.  Larry

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »

Nice job Larry. That sure would make a nice turkey rifle.

Funny how as we get older we realize a lot of animals just don't need that much killin. I thought about that earlier today when I saw my 60# longbow sitting in the corner.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 06:44:23 AM »
Larry,
 I have always been impressed with your ingenuity and workmanship. GOOD JOB, keep up the GREAT WORK and wonderful posts!!!

I am quite jealous of your new 32-20.. Once the holidays are over I may just have to get off my arse and build one!!

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to one and all.  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 07:19:59 AM »
Hand made with one's hands. There is no more a satisfying thing. Great job.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 07:42:59 AM »
32-20 is a pretty good preformer.  I use a 32-20 with cast bullet for rabbits and squirrels. 155gr flat point with a sprinkle of trailboss its so quite that you here the firing pin hit the primer and the bullet hit the target not much inbetween.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »
I shoot a fair amont of them myself, only in Marlins and Wincheater levers....  I bought a PILE of 115 SWC'a some years back and have been sending them allong with a small LEE scoop of PB powder. Nice lite quiet loads...  PB is getting harder and harder to find and I have been wanting to try TRAILBOSS. Maybe this is a good alternative??   SO, you really like Trail Boss and the 32-20? I'm looking for fun loads, I can make heavy hitters but use this one as a fun to shoot plinking gun so lite stuff is what Im looking for.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
Larry,
Not to change the subject of this thread, but I am curious as to what equipment you use to take the great closeups you post?  That bullet picture is great, as are most others you post.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »
You won't believe it, but I use a Cannon Power Shot A410, a puny 3.2 MP camera.  It has one feature that makes it work good for close ups, it has a Macro setting that only works on the zoom, so you set in macro mode, back off about 20 inches and then zoom in.  It amazes me also with the quality it gets.  Larry

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
Wow.  I thought you were going to list $10,000 worth in pro camera equipment.

Kevin

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »

I wonder if you couldn't use a barrel from a Pattern 14 instead of an Enfield and get a few more inches of usable barrel length? 24" would be really nice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »
This one could have been 24 inches.  I decided to cut it at the muzzel to remove the cut for the front sight and get rid of any muzzel damage, then I screwed up a chamber and had to cut another inch off that end.  I had this barrel just sitting here so I used it, I would probably say it is about right for what is basically a pistol cartridge that is some times used in rifles.  Any good 32 barrel would work great I think, there seems to be a good supply of these barrels around right now for $15.00 each, so I think I will lay in a supply.   Larry

Offline John Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »
Larry - am impressed with your talents and the final product ... the 32-20 that H&R Never Knew They Had!  A real fine job
I did a 25-20 the easy way: H&R 28ga - TJ liner - 22 Hornet extractor from Numrich.  In the coming year will be doing a 38-40 from a H&R 410ga and another TJ liner cause I don't have the machining skills that you do
Regards
John Boy

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 01:34:43 PM »
I am a firm believer in Easy!  If you make it work then it is good.  Post some pictures, it is always fun to see different ways to skin a cat.  Larry