Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
North Carolina
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:49:55 AM »
I have a chance to hunt NC over Thanksgiving & Christmas.  I can't find the bag limits or anterless deer harvest info on line.  The areas are near Newland & Hickory.  Can anyone help me out?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »
 Sorry . Don't know where either areas are but this should help.
Good Luck

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2008_09_Deer_Season_Maps.pdf
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:33:01 AM »
Starting last year, we have unlimited doe tags...

Previous, the limit was a total of 6, with 2 bucks in the Piedmont and Western part of the state and 4 bucks down east...

Offline mbh78

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:37:19 AM »
unlimited doe tags if you buy em. you get six tags total to start with, 4 of which must be antlerless in the areas you mentioned. Also I think they are in two different wildlife districts but i'm not sure. In newland, i'm pretty sure there are set aside doe days, not sure about the hickory area, may be the same. I'm in the northwestern part about an hour from both of those locations and we can shoot does anytime, and after all six of your tags are filled you can go back and buy antlerless tags 2 at a time for $5 each.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »
Actually the extra doe tags are free...

Offline mbh78

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »
they werent last year, but i havent checked this year

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
I hunt out of state.  I live in CA and the Family has a farm in NC.
Some years I get a Full license and some times I get a 6 day big game for about $80 but don't hold me to that.
Some years it has been 5 deer others it has been 6.  Most of the time is is 2 antlered, 2 anterless and 1 or 2 options.
Check the regulation.  You now call in the deer when you get home and they issue you a number to fill out on your tag.
There will be a spot for turkey, boar, and bear.  Turkey is in the spring and the NC license runs for 365 days but no hunting on Sunday.
There is an additional fee for the bear tag.
Good luck.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
Piedmont NC has some nice deer.  Eastern NC has too many deer and they are smaller.  No problem filling your cooler here.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
they werent last year, but i havent checked this year

Actually, they were free last year as well...I killed 8 does and one buck...I never paid for any of the doe tags...

Offline flintlock

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »

Here are a couple of those small Eastern NC deer...The first was taken in 2007, the second in 2008...
Both from the same stand, both the first week in November...

Guess we should have let them walk... ;D

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
I've lived in NC for 62 years and hunted for the last 50.  You have two nice NC deer - but they are representative of our small whitetail deer.  Our genetics and age class rarely produce antlers with much mass.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »
Two very nice deer there, I'm fixin' to boil up some IA Bowtag Soup about now so they look pretty good to me! The second one looks like he has some size to him. Charles is right about the mass though, a deer with that size rack here would usually be twice as big around/rack and 50 lbs heavier.
I didn't realize NC had such a doe problem(or is it a people/doe problem?), we have the same here, but they charge residents $26 for the first antlerless and $12 for addditional.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:38:38 AM »
I tried to spend most of my time with my grandskids, but I did manage to sit two evenings.  My son killed a small 5 point.  The fellow down the road killed a really huge 10 point.  I had 2 in close, but it was so dark I couldn't see the cross hairs in my Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40.  Next time I'l be using my Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10X40.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 05:44:38 AM »
Flintlock,
I know your proud of your deer and they are great.  But stop showing off big deer from NC.  Others will want to hunt there too and then out of state licenses will go up as well as instate bag limits will go down.   ;D :P :-X

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »
Age is the biggest problem on average only 5% of bucks killed are over 4yrs old. At 2.5 yrs a buck only shows 40% of his antler growth, 4.5yrs 80%. WE HAVE TO LET THEM GROW UP!!!!!! A buck that is over 4 yrs old will be seen only 5% in the day light. Most killed that are over 4 yrs old are killed in the rut but most are killed by traffic. I don't know how many 2-3 year olds i let walk this year some with good antlers. I have been studing this a long time read every book i get my hands on and talk to the experts. There are places to get info on how to judge the age of a deer most people say its by the antlers BS. The biggest problem is no one will shot does (most) and then they say what is the best one to shoot? The first one that comes out make sure its not a button buck and let her have it!!!!!!! My brother started managing a farm for a man last year 1400 acres so far they have shot 38 does off this property this year. There have been a few buck killed but most were youth hunters. We were riding the other day and you can start to see the difference we saw just as many bucks as does. Monday i helped shot a big doe neck shot 85 yrds meat in the freezer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Friar_Tuck

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
A few years ago, I went down to Union county, to hunt with a friend from Monroe.  I met some of the nicest people I have ever met.  Had a blast hunting in warm weather.  I managed to shoot this little feller, on a beautiful warm morning.  My friend has now passed away, but I have this head, mounted on my wall, to help me remember my hunt, and more importantly, my friend!