Author Topic: do ya feel sorry for deer hunters restricted to shotguns ?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: do ya feel sorry for deer hunters restricted to shotguns ?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »
  As I mentioned previously, I am of Scottish heritage...so I guess I don't have to be "politically correct" about the Scots..LOL
  For a shotgun to reach out near 30/30 range, sabots are the way to go..
   Even if I don't handload, I can buy either a box of 20@ 30/30 cartridges or 5@ sabot slugs for about the same price..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »
Not with the advancement of slugs and guns in the last 15 years or so. I always used a handgun myself, but can remember friends that would pick up 5 or 6 different brands of deer slugs and sight in with what they could get the best accuracy with. Sometime's it was down right horrible, and then the next brand of slugs would group(pattern) pretty good. As long as you stuck with what worked, and didn't sell the gun, you knew what to expect.
I think the best thing that happened here in Ohio, was they put a 3 shot limit on capacity. I can remember 20 years ago, I seen a guy with a 3 shot extender on a Rem. 1100, which gave him 8 rds. I should have asked him if he was going deer hunting, or walking downtown Detroit. Made better shots out of the hunters. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »
  Gypsyman;
     That's why my two main deer rifles arte my Marlin 336 30/30 or my NEF .308..and I may just take either one on a given day. I was raised on the single shot .22 hunting habit..as I suspect possibly you were. ;)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)