Author Topic: 2 for 2 with the 500  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
2 for 2 with the 500
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »
This morning I took my climbing stand and went to the top of the mountain behind my house. I got situated in my stand just as it was getting daylight.
At 7:20 I heard a loud noise and looked to see three deer coming out of the laurels about 150 yards from me. There was a doe and two bucks, one of the bucks was a nice one, eight or better, the other buck was probably a four or six pointer. They turned and ran away from me and in just a minute or so they came running back into the laurels were I saw them originally. The smaller buck stayed out in the open woods while I assume the larger buck and doe were breeding.
The big buck and doe stayed in the laurels for a few minutes and then I saw the doe take off to my right and the big buck came out of the laurels in a run and went away from me and the smaller buck followed him.
I was standing up in my stand while all this was going on and I had the 500 S&W Handi at the ready. I continued to stand for a good thirty minutes after the big buck left, in hopes that he might come back and give me a shot. I finally sat back down and about 9:15 I saw deer legs walking through the laurels directly in front of me. It was a big doe and she was walking at a very steady pace, I was able to track her very easily with the 1.5-4 Burris set at it’s lowest power. At about 50 yards she walked into an opening and the big 500 sent a 385 grain Remington Ultra-Bonded Core-Lokt right behind her shoulder, through the heart and broke the off side shoulder as it exited the far side.
She may have went 15 yards after being hit. The bullet seemed to have done more damage on this doe compared to the 8-pointer that I got with it on opening day. I haven’t butchered her yet to examine what the bullet actually did but I noticed a lot of damage to her heart when I field dressed her. She was about 50 yards and the 8-pointer I got was about 125 yards, the higher impact velocity from the 50 yard shot may have opened up the bullet better. I may have hit a rib on the way in also, I won’t know until I butcher her.
Well, the 500 Handi is now two for two! ;D

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 2 for 2 with the 500
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
Congrats again!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
Yep, that 500 will do a job! ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Elkoholic

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
Very exciting!

Congratulations!! 

Some early snow this year in VA?

Mike
Current Handi's: 17 HMR, 270 Ultra Comp, 223 Bull Barrel.
Barrel wish List: 22 Hornet, 7-08, 30-30, 357 Mag, 45 Long Colt for starters.   Oh, and 35 Whelen too!
Donations gladly accepted!!

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »
Thanks guys!

Some early snow this year in VA?
Mike

Hey Mike, Yeah, it's been one of the coldest Novembers that I can remember in a long time. This is actually the second or third snow we have gotten this year.

Slufoot

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:13:15 AM »
Here on Michigan's U.P. it started snowing on opening day, the 15th, and we've had some every day since.  I'm still skunked; haven't seen anything I wanted to shoot.  Evening before last, two fawns came in alone, no mom.  At one point they were in line broadside to me and I could have got both with one shot from the .45-70.  I have the tags to do it legally if I wanted.  I figured the two together might be able to avoid the wolves and make it through the winter.  Besides, I'd be in the doghouse when I got home for killing Bambi.   

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
Great job hunting.  Good for you!

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »
petemi you might have been in the dog house but you sure would have been eating good.   ;D :D
Thay's the kind I'm looking for.
You don't feel bad when they are alone.
Line them up and have at it!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »
Slufoot:
What part of VA are you from?
I'm from Winchester.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:05:28 PM »
Slufoot:
What part of VA are you from?
I'm from Winchester.

LONGTOM

Hey LONGTOM I'm from Grayson County.

Slufoot

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
Congratulations!! Someday soon I will be posting news of my first kill with my .500. Core lokts are the ticket huh?

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »
Congratulations!! Someday soon I will be posting news of my first kill with my .500. Core lokts are the ticket huh?

Thanks michaelt454, I hope you get your first with the 500 soon and I hope it's a bruiser!
As far as the Core-Lokt bullets are concerned, they are all I have ever shot in my barrel. I wouldn't say they are the ticket, I feel like just about any bullet that shoots to your satisfaction, besides bullets designed for the 50AE, will work on game. I believe a good cast bullet with a large meplat would be ideal. I bought the Remingtons because they were less expensive than most other bullets and they just happened to shoot good in my gun. ;D

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline bartman

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
Slufoot great job on the 2 for 2.  i have been using the 500 for the last to years here in indiana. i also 2 for 2.  last year took a nice doe. both times i have took a shot at deer i have came home with deer.  let me strart to tell you about sat. that just pasted. my son is seven years old and really wanting to hunt just like me. (WHICH IS REALLY COOL)  i had to make a deal with him that on opening day of gun season if he let me go by my self that the following weekend  i would take him deer, and sqaural hunting. so to keep a promise last week we went and got him a new 22 handi for are hunt.   so here we where sitting in the stand hunting sqaurals. we had already been shooting them for a couple hours.  i was having such a good time watching him. i completly forgot to keep a look out for deer.  so about a half a hour before the hunt was over a 8pt buck stepped out. i quickly reach for my 500 s&w and laid the cross hairs on him and took the shot. it went about 30 yards and dropped like a sack of tatters!   if you could only see how happy my son was!!!  i think he is now hooked!!! it been 4 days sense i took the deer and he still taking about it. i think i got a new hunting buddy.  SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!

Offline warrior05

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
For those of you shooting the S&W 500 in rifle or revolver ( I have both) I saw on Midwayusa.com that Hornady is making the 300gr flextip SST bullet avaiable for reloaders @ $27/50, which is $5 cheaper than the 350gr. XTP

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »
Great job!!
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:32 PM »
Hey Bartman that is a COOL story, congratulations!!!
You should have posted it as a new topic so that more people might see it.
What load are you shooting in your 500?

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot