Author Topic: Tracker II Scores Again (w/pics)  (Read 876 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Tracker II Scores Again (w/pics)
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »
Shot this one this morning, one shot with 20 ga. Tracker II with a Winchester 3" partition gold sabot slug @ 109 yds. (7 points 132 pounds) My adult son and I were hunting on our property here in Cheeseville. Love those H&R/NEF products.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Tracker II Scores Again (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:56:16 PM »
Very nice!  Congratulations.   ;)

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:48:27 AM »
Way to go carbineman!

Do you happen to know what the foot-pound energy of those slugs are at 100 yards?

Also, the trajectory?

Also, is that a shotgun scope, and what kind?

I have some 20-gauge, copper solids I have been target shooting with, that are very accurate. But at 100 yards, foot-pound the energy drops to 986 foot pounds. But trajectory is -3.1, which is good for slugs, IMO.

Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Kernman

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »
Way to go carbineman!

Do you happen to know what the foot-pound energy of those slugs are at 100 yards?

Also, the trajectory?

Also, is that a shotgun scope, and what kind?

I have some 20-gauge, copper solids I have been target shooting with, that are very accurate. But at 100 yards, foot-pound the energy drops to 986 foot pounds. But trajectory is -3.1, which is good for slugs, IMO

Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Kernman

Kernman at 100 yds Winchester claims the energy to be 1555 ft lbs. velocity @1641 fps
The trajectory is zero ---minus 1.5"@ 125 yds.-----minus 3.8"@150yds. ----minus 7.2" @ 175 yds.
The scope is a matte finish Leupold 1.5-5x20mm VariX III riflescope
Around here the 3" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold Slugs in 20 ga. are somewhat hard to locate.
Scheels special orders them for me. Hope this answers your questions. I'll post the web address for the specs on the slugs.

www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=SSP203&bn=5&us

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:21:46 AM »
 Nice job!

I guess I need to study the Winchesters. 109 yards good job.

Lonny

Offline 22lyons

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:14:12 AM »
Are the Trakers drilled for a scope?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:50:17 AM »
Are the Trakers drilled for a scope?
It appears they are now called something different and appear to be coming thru with a scope rail on them.
The original Tracker II did NOT have a scope rail but were easily drilled and tapped for the scope rail on the 20 ga. version. It's been reported that some gunsmiths will not drill and tap the 12 ga. Tracker, as their isn't enough metal in the chamber area to warrant a safe condition. I'll post back with the H&R website for the "New" Tracker II

Here is the new Ultra Light Slug Hunter.  http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp
I'm not sure if it is available yet or not. Anyone here know?

Offline 22lyons

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56:33 AM »
i have a 20ga USH; however, i don't think my son will be able to handle the weight of it next year for his first hunt so thought about the tracker with a scope for him.

What is different about the new USH as opposed to the old?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
Lyons, If you click on the link I posted, you will notice the Ultra-Light Slug Hunter weighs 5 1/4 lbs. vs 8lbs. and better for the standard USH. You'll have to read all the specs they list as to weight. That is the difference. The barrel is lighter and the stock has no counter weight in it. Hope this helps.

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »
Carbineman, nice deer! I took out my USH 20 over the long weekend, but to no avail. Doe only and of course we only see bucks. This coming weekend is 1st season any sex, maybe my luck will change. Sounds llike those Win. Partitions are doing well for you. I like them in 2 3/4" and the idea of shooting fairly flat out to 100 yards. JamesIII

Offline 22lyons

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
Lyons, If you click on the link I posted, you will notice the Ultra-Light Slug Hunter weighs 5 1/4 lbs. vs 8lbs. and better for the standard USH. You'll have to read all the specs they list as to weight. That is the difference. The barrel is lighter and the stock has no counter weight in it. Hope this helps.

thanks...i did check them out.  i took the counter weight out of mine.  it will be interesting to see how they lightened up the barrel.