Author Topic: which 20ga  (Read 520 times)

Offline kawie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
which 20ga
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
im loking at the h&r but not sure what one to buy.i need to know the good and bad of tracker II,new ultra light slug hunter,ultra slug hunter and the ultraslug hunter compact.i want it to use out of a climber and for shot point blank to 150 or so.the ultra slug hunter seems to heavy,the light slug hunter dont know any thing about,i have a tracker in 12 but it kicks like a mule,the compact seems like a happy medium between all.i like that its short an compact.most of what im concerned with is that i want the most accurate gun i can get.so are the light barrels as accurate as the heavey.the compact with the heavy barrel can u still get them to add sights to it if so that would be icing on the cake thanks.

Offline kawie

• Avid Poster
Re: which 20ga
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:43:53 PM »
nobody has any advice to give me on this.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »
I have set up 5 of the Tracker II's in 20 ga. Drilled and tapped the barrels for scope rails and added the rail and hammer extension and then proceeded to mount either Weaver V3's or Leupold 20mm scopes to them.

These are just as accurate as the USH's in my findings as I owned a since departed USH and the extra weight to me seemed kinda cumbersome especially in a treestand situation. I use those 2000 fps Winchester 3" Partition Gold Slugs and recoil is not severe either. While both the Tracker II and USH seem to be on par accuracy wise the added weight of the USH seemed uncomfortable to me. I don't believe you can get sights on any USH and out to 150 yards I would not count on the Tracker II sights past 75 yds or so. YMMV though. Here is a pic of the Tracker II with a buck I shot @109 yds. Looks like the Tracker II might be available with a scope rail added.... http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp   The first one on the list. Maybe Quick will know if this is available yet.

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:39:22 AM »
I have both a Tracker II and a USH in 20 Ga. I also shoot the Win. Partition Golds through the USH, very accurate well past 100 yards.  I use the Tracker II in some very heavy underbrush areas, short shots and don't want to worry about scope getting damaged. After sighting both guns in last month the only accuracy difference I saw was open sights vs. scope. As far as a compact model, remember these guns are not very long to begin with, kind of Handi. I can only assume the Ultra Llight gun has the same barrel as the Tracker II since they weigh the same, just different sights. If I scoped my Tracker II I would just make sure I got a fair amount of eye relief in the scope. The Tracker II is much more comfortable to carry.

Hey Carbineman, nice deer, that just goes to prove that if you do your part either gun will do.   JamesIII

Offline kawie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »
thats s great deer there.thanks for the replys guys.the rifle sights would be a back up to a scope incase the scope breaks.i wondered if the ultra lite was just the same as the tracker just no sights.so u guys think that the light barrels are just as accurate as the heavy.anyone have the compact with the heavy 22 inch barrel that could give me some thought on it. thanks again