Author Topic: TURNING THE HANDI INTO A PISTOL  (Read 1279 times)

Offline rescue_171

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
  • Contributor
TURNING THE HANDI INTO A PISTOL
« on: November 26, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
THIS MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED BUT I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS TRIED TO TURN A HANDI INTO A PISTOL SIMILAR TO A T/C ENCORE. I HAVE A SB2 FRAME AND WAS WANTING TO CUT THE BARREL DOWN TO 15 INCHES AND MAKE A SET OF CUSTOM GRIPS . JUST WANT YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS AND WHAT HOOPS I WOULD HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH FOR THE ATF.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: TURNING THE HANDI INTO A PISTOL
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
If you are in the US expect a visit from BATFE as what you propose is against federal law.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
 I have no idea.

With the success of the T/C Contender, you would think NEF-H&R would have been successful too if they would have done it.

Lonny

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:52:56 AM »

Ya it can be done BUT the hoops will be real big , it may have to be classed the same as would a sawed-off shotgun and once you got all the paper work done and IF BATF gave their blessing , your still looking at a $200 a year tax to own it .

Just seems kinda pointless to me when the TC can be had for just the cost of the gun , don't get me wrong , I am a BIG Handi fan but there are levels that even I woln't go to .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 04:54:00 AM »
not  $200  a  year  just  $200 for  permission  and  to  sell  it

then  you have to  notify  them  to leave  the  state

just  get  the  T/C

if H&R  originally  makes  it as a pistol  that  would work

i  have  a 12inch  44mag lever  92 pistol   like  the  old  bounty hunter
originally  made as a pistol

also  a  9 inch  o/u 12 GA     large derringer  [removable stock  but  it stays  on
$200  fee paid  to  ATF  one  time  if  i  sell  it  the buyer  will need  to get approved  and pay $200

once  you get  a proved  you can  tinker  all  you want    with  that  receiver
chop at the forarm screw should fit in a back pack

check you local  laws  also
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
I was once a membr of a club that did Wild West skits.  We needed a sawed off shotgun.  I went to the trouble of getting a permit, so I was legal to cut it off.  Cut off and old Stevens single shot 12 ga.  Worked great for several years.  Then it started misfiring, then a part broke inside in the trigger area.  Could not find a replacement, so I threw it in the cabinet and forgot about it almost.  Kept it for over 15 years hauling it around with me all over the country.  Went to BATF and told them it was broke, could I throw it away.  No!  I had to keep it availiable for their inspection upon request.  Asked if I could destroy it. Again NO!  Finally one day I boxed it up and took it to their office.  All the internal parts (trigger, firing pin, and springs) had been lost over the years.  Gave them the pistol grip, reciever, and barrel.  Had an agent give me a reciept and clear it off my record.  I still get notices from them every two or three years asking if I ever found the missing parts.  Thinking of buying on old shotgun and removing those parts and taking them in just so they can clear the record.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
You could probably bring in lawn mower parts and the desk jocks wouldn't know the difference.  I'm sure none of us ever voted for these agency created regulations, but they erode our liberty, cost us money, and can send you to jail.  "Taxation without Representation" and the 2nd Ammendment  That's what started it all.  I guess we've lost sight of that somewhere. Perhaps we need to find it again.  With a Handi Rifle, of course......Sorry Bill, just wanted to stay here on this forum :-[  Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
To many have lost sight of the meaning of the Constitution and The Bill of Rights that many of us have fought and others have died for.  That's why we are not looking forward to our new president and his policies.  OK, I'm off the soap box.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:20:45 AM »
these agency created regulations, but they erode our liberty, cost us money, and can send you to jail.

VERY well said Pete!  Would that we could do something about it!

Rescue,
I can see your interest, it would be fun, but like others have said, just buy a Contender.  I try to stay off the fed's radar as much as I can which is why I won't even get a C&R license!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 05:40:32 AM »
I recall vaugely about having possibly heard of a guy, that said he knew of a guy, that says he shook the hand of a guy that shook the hand of a guy ( ;)) that was going to have a barrel stubbed. To that end I heard that he cut off a shotgun barrel just in front of the chamber end, and just ahead of the barrel lug so the entire barrel was about 4"-5" long. I have heard that before have the barrel stubbed he fired the 4"-5" shotgun barrel a couple of time at the range with buckshot. As I have heard the story it was LOUD and kicked a bit. the spread of the buckshot was quite large and it is reported that it would have made an excellent extreme close range defensive weapon. Merry Christmas to all....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Qaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 06:01:04 AM »
 Cut the barrel to 16 1/2 inches, put a pistol grip on it and be done with it. It will be legal and no hassles!

Qaz

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 06:11:49 AM »
Cut the barrel to 16 1/2 inches, put a pistol grip on it and be done with it. It will be legal and no hassles!

Qaz

Actually it probably would NOT be legal. There is a minimum over all length such a chopped firearm must be and due to the nature of the NEF I suspect it would not meet that OAL criteria which I think is about 27" or maybe 27.5". Since the action behind the barrel is so short on the NEF just adding a pistol grip likely wouldn't gain you the needed almost a foot required to be a legal rifle.

I'm really getting tired of all these discussions about violating the law. No I do not agree with the laws and yes I do feel they are unconstitutional but since the courts do not agree with me on that and since I don't want this site shut down due to the discussion of illegal activity I'm locking this thread now.

We have been contacted in the past by various law enforcement agencies due to posts made on here by folks of illegal activities they have or are planning to do. In such cases we always cooperate fully and provide all info they request. One thing they seem always to want are copies of the posts on illegal or potentially illegal activities thus I won't delete it but am locking it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!