Author Topic: Long Range Handi  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Clayne_b

• Trade Count: (0)
Long Range Handi
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
Just wondering if anyone shoots long range with there handi. ive shot pumpkins out to about 400 with my .223 ultra.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Long Range Handi
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
I use my Handi 30-06 for shooting Wolves and Coyotes out to 500 yards.  I use 125gr Speer TNTs and 165 gr Nosler Ballistic tips.  While I can hit targets out beyond 500 yards, I've hit Wolves at 700 yards.  The 30-06 lacks killing power (energy) at any thing beyond 500 yards.

As for the .223, I have a .223 Ultra and have been shooting it out to 500 yards for coyotes and foxes.  I have not worked with this gun enough to know it's capabilities beyond that range.  I have been hitting static targets out on the range at 600 and 700 yards.  Once I get the chance to pull down on a Wolf at those ranges I will let you know.  I personally think the .223 is a little light for Wolves, but there is only one way to find out.  The average Alaska Wolf is bigger than a Whitetail Doe.   Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »

Sourdough,
    When you say the '06 lack killing power beyond 500 yards would that be with the 125 grain bullet? I could see the smaller bullet running out of steam but I would ahve thought the 165 gr. would be doing fine.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
Just wondering if anyone shoots long range with there handi.
Clayne, Sure do ... http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,119506.0.html
Regards
John Boy

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Rustyinfla:  I've shot three wolves between 600 and 700 yards.  I had to run them down with the snowmachine.  All three would have eventually died, but I chased two of them over a mile before they slowed down enough for me to catch up and get close enough to take a running shot to finish them off.  So now I limit my shots to 500 yards or less.  That's sometimes hard to do when above treeline.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ndjb04

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »
Is the 223 a little short on power at 500 yards?

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »
I'm starting with the .223 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.  Hopping it will be more explosive than the 165gr .30 cal.  If that is not suitiable I will try the Hornady A-Max.  My partner is currently loading the A-Max in his 22-250.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
The 30-06 lacks killing power (energy) at any thing beyond 500 yards

You know, there's several tens of thousands of Nazi's, Japanese, V.C. and NVA that would strongly disagree with your assessment of the '06's capabilities at 500 and beyond.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »
hey guys , play nice.

i myself have killed quite a few things past 500 yards with a 30-06 but let us also remember where and what sourdough hunts.

even with as cocky as i am about long range shooting i believe wisdom comes with age and having done what the heck your talking about. i've never even seen a wolf much less killed one. if sourdough says more gun is needed then i'll listen to him.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
A killing shot, and a drop dead now, shot are two different things.  Yes just about any shot with an 06 will kill one, later today or tomorrow.  But when the pelt is worth $250.00 to $300.00, I want them down now.  I don't like to have to chase them down to finish them off.  An Alaskan wolf is about the height of a southern Whitetail Doe.  A male will weigh from 80 to 110 lbs.  And they are tough.  They are all in excellent physical shape, or they don't last long.  So they don't go down easy, unlike a human.  Humans are among the easiest animals to kill.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »
i think its all phycological, up to a certain point.  when an animal is shot, it dosnt know its supposed to die.  it gets scared, confused, whatever, and tries to run to the next country.  a human gets hit, dont matter it its there finger or chest, and they know they have been shot and know they are suposed to die.  a  freakin wolf is one thing i would want to drop in its tracks, no matter what.  i had no idea they were worth that, and id hate to see 300.00 go running over the hill.
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 08:12:29 AM »
.  a human gets hit, dont matter it its there finger or chest, and they know they have been shot and know they are suposed to die. 

go to iraq and rethink that statment. i've seen bad guys get pump full of lead and still keep running. saw this guy on myth one time , wow that was cool thank god for a 240B , its not fear that kills people its bullets.

people are just plain easiest thing to kill for its size.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:11:06 AM »
Sourdough, have you considered using a 6.5mm style cartridge, i.e. .260, 6.5x55, 6.5 x 284?  The 6.5's are by far the best performers i've seen @ distances past 500...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
Just started thinking about the 6.5s.  Was reading where a professional hunter here in Alaska are using a 6.5.  I'm totally unfamiliar with them. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 11:25:41 AM »
Rog, check out some specs on a couple 6.5 bullets.

Tim

Nosler Partition

Berger 140gr Match VLD BC .640, SD .287!!

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sooter

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
I shoot a 6.5X444 Improved in one of my H&R ultra rifles and it is absolutely amazing at what it will do at long range - out to 800 yards.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »
A long barreled 280 would make a dandy long range Handi, I'm sure Time can put up the specs for the .284 VLD's and I'd Imagine you can load them long in  Handi.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »

Offline Clayne_b

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »
Got Some new toys for my .223 ultra so i can shoot even longer range better. lol
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 scope and Bushnell Scout 1000 range finder. heres some new pic i think it looks awsome on this gun. what do you guys think?

Offline Clayne_b

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 01:17:55 PM »
I got out and played with my scope, WOW just wow. this thing is soooo cool. i made up some drop charts and sighted the gun at 100 yards. I have 3 steel targets there one foot square. so i put one at 300 yards one at 400 and one at 600. turn the nob for the right moa and ding, one shot. at 300, i repeated this for every target. on the 600 yard target i took 5 shots and hit it all 5 times. then back to 100 and its dead on. i am very happy with the results i will deffentaly be getting another one of these scopes.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
Good shootin!! ;)

Tim

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:49 PM »
Clayne, that is one "BAD" scope !

sooter, can we hear more, see more, about your 6.5x.444 Improved   ;D  Jim
Jim

Offline Clayne_b

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 09:31:24 AM »
Here is a pic of the drop chart i made up. it works very well. well at least out to 600 yards. haven't tried  past that YET lol

Full size link
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii294/Clayne_b/DSC01263.jpg

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »
That 30-06 would kill stuff past 500 if you use a higher BC bullet...Berger is the way to go for long range hunting!

Offline sooter

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
Jim,

my 6.5X444 improved was made by my gunsmith when he did the "barrel stub" thing to it. I startrd with an H&R ultra in 25-06 and had a 27" Lilja stainless steel barrel added to it. It has a muzzle diameter of .900 inches. The trigger has been adjusted down to 30 ounces and the factory laminated forend has been pillar bedded. I has a stainless steel piccateny base made for this gun as well as a stainless steel "forend spacer" (the piece that attaches to the forend and fits up against the receiver). I had the barrel, base, forend spacer and all the receiver pins finished in a very high polish. More for looks than anything else.

The 6.5X444 improved is the 444 marlin necked down to take a .264 diameter bullet. The dies used to reload for this round are a set of shortened 6.5-06 improved dies. I use Remington nickel plated cases and oad data starts off the same as the 260 remington and goes up from there. Three shot groups at 200 yards average 3/4 of an inch and being able to shoot and bust gallon milk jugs full of wayer at 600 yards is a pretty simple task. My loads are not hot or even close to it but they sure are accurate. In fact, I took 2 big fat does this year with this gun and it performed admirably.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Clayne B:  I have the same scope.  I originally had it on my .338/378 WEeatherby, it worked real good there.  I have since moved it to my 22-250 where it does a great job.  Have not worked with it out beyond 100 yards yet.  Just don't shoot that 22-250 much. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
I have not had the opportunity to shoot long distance. I would think that bullet performance at long distances would be very important however. A pointed bullet that does not expand will zip right through (or deep) without doing a whole lot of damage, unless it hit something like the heart or a major artery. Even then it would take a bit to bleed out. Unless a bullet expands, the hole it makes is smaller than it's diameter because the flesh will stretch when the bullet goes through and then shrink back to a hole smaller than the bullet diameter, maybe almost sealing it back up. At long distances, the "shock" value is down too. Just thinking, like I said, no practical experience here. I read some where that a guy was shooting small game with low velocity full metal jacketed round nose pistol bullets. He was getting a lot of runners because the bullets did not make very big holes, while hollow pointed bullet would anchor them right now. Of course they would tear up more meat.

BTW - Clayne_b - There must be something wrong - Don't you know you can not hit any thing with a 10X scope beyond 300 yards? And it takes at least a 24X for 500 yards  ::);D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Clayne_b

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 02:16:25 AM »
10x works good enough for me. A thought that i had while deciding what scope to get was, if i get a fixed power and use it enough then it will become like second nature and will be easyer guessing range because your scope is always at the same power. Just my thoughts.  But hey a 24x would be sweet for shooting paper.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 04:40:48 AM »
175gr Nosler Partition, BC .519, SD .310!!

Berger 168 gr Match VLD,  BC 0.643, SD .298

Do Berger and Nosler publish the rpms needed to stabilize those?

I called Hornady to inquire about the 162gr A-Max a few years ago. The fellow at Hornady told me that 2800fps with the 7mm A-Max would be iffy in a 1 in 10" barrel, but 3,000fps would be OK. The box the bullets came in said the barrel should be 1 in 8", which is what made me call them for details.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »
They should be able to tell ya, but they only list the twist required on the links.

Tim