Author Topic: Police trade in?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
Police trade in?
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »
Was wondering about experiences anyone has had with police trade ins. How are the condition of these firearms? I expect them cosmetically to have some holster wear am, speaking more along the lines of the internals.  I know it's possible to get one that has been shot to death. Generally, are they a good or bad deal to get into?

Offline dbriannelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Police trade in?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »
There's no pattern.  Some have been shot little, cleaned little and are cherry.  Others have been beat up,  or used as range guns and are rattletraps.  I've bought several over the years but as with any used firearm, it takes a close detailed inspection before I'll buy.

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
Some time back I was running a small gun shop and bought quite a few to resell. Since they were used guns I test fired all before putting them on the shelf. They were stainless S&W 5906 and 6906 9mms, Walther P1 9mms, and stainless Ruger .357 revolvers. Maybe I was lucky but none of them were bad at all and I culled out an exceptionally accurate 6906 and a Ruger with a sweet trigger job for myself. They seem to be getting scarce now and are not the bargain they were ten years ago.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »
Used to be police trade ins were a great bargain because they were generally carried a lot and shot little.
So they sold cheap because they looked pretty rough on the outside but they were barely broken in mechanically.
From what I've been reading lately that is no longer the case.  Seems many PDs are doing a lot more firearms training than what they used to.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline bluecow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 04:28:03 AM »
the dept i work for traded our s&w 65s a couple of years a go for auto's.  most but not all where in great shape.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:39 AM »
Like most have said, I would think they are a good deal.  It's been my experience that the only time they are shot is during an officer's annual qualification; maybe a hundred rounds a year.  I bought my M-10 for a few dollars when we went to automatics.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
  I think a lot depends on the make and type of gun. I have a Smith Model 28 .357 Mag that was issued to the Georgia State Patrol in the 1950's. Still great gun, even killed two deer this year, but beat up quite a bit. But that's one gun that can take such abuse, many guns can't.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:46:20 AM »
My opinion of rounds thru a weapon is that it takes a whole lot too wear one down too a rattle trap.
The care and conditioning are a different matter. Generally that is easily remedied.
Wear on the finish does not bother me.
Sig has some good offers.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 04:06:59 AM »
Thanks for all the good info.

Offline funshooter2

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
I had a Ruger GP100,ss, 4" barrel,DAO with a spurless trigger. The gun was in good shape and even had very little holster wear. They were U.S. Marshal trade-ins. I couldn't get used to the DAO trigger. It was smooth enough, I just have small hands and the pull was too long, plus I like the SA/DA style better. It was a great deal at right at $200 about 2 yrs ago. I got the same price I paid for it at a gun show and could have gotten a bit more.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »
if its a glock get it