Author Topic: potatoe guns / ATF FAQ  (Read 624 times)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
potatoe guns / ATF FAQ
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
i  was  reading  this  link   and  it got me to  thinking of  my  old  apple cannons  i  made as a child

======================================================================================

(B17) How do I obtain a classification from ATF for my "potato gun?" [Back]

Any person desiring a classification of a “potato gun,” “spud gun” or similar device must submit a written request (not e-mail) to the Director and include a complete and accurate description of the device, the name and address of the manufacturer or importer, the purpose for which it is intended, and such photographs, diagrams, or drawings as may be necessary to make a classification. A final determination may require physical examination of the device. Such requests for classification should be submitted to: Bureau of ATF, Firearms Technology Branch.

======================================================================================

any  one  got  any tales  or plans  to  share

i  never  knew  that a spud gun  was  taken  so  serious   loll

all  descriptions  of coarse  are  fiction  and  not an   admission  of guilt
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: potatoe guns / ATF FAQ
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
I can't add much, but I think that if you move to Illinois, it will require that you have an FOID card as well.  It seems to fit the definition of a firearm as the projectile is above .18 and does not contain washable paint.  ::) ::)

ILLINOIS DEFINITION OF A FIREARM

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;
(2) any device used exclusively for signalling or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission;
(3) any device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition; and
(4) an antique firearm (other than a machine-gun) which, although designed as a weapon, the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

We are still waiting a ruling on a cork gun for the same reasons.  They didn't even ask if we took the string off of the cork. :D :D

Of course, you must be of age and possess a valid FOID card to purchase or possess ammo.  How they gonna do that for potatos and corks?
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
wow  can't even  have  a good pellet gun  in  that land  of OBAMA
i  understand  mass  is  as  bad too

we  used to  cut  top and  bottom  of 6 cans
and  one pop top can with  a nail  hole in the bottom
tape them  all  together pop top towards  the open cans
a  few drops of gas or liter fluid in  the  hole,  shake  the gas  down the ''barrel''
light  the hole  and  boom

i put a wire through  mine for a stop  in  the 2ND can
place  rotten  apple over muzzle tap  on ground  and  the  cookie cutter sizes  the apple
tap  til  apple hits  the stop
during snow ball fights as a kid  this  made  a rotten apple shot gun
i  would  aim  and get a friend  to  light

just  wondered who  else reminisces  about child hood toys
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
Thanks 45-70, that brings back some memories.  Back when I was a kid, when beer cans were made of steel, we did the same thing.  Our projectile of choice was a tennis ball.  And that was in the Land of Lincoln, sorry to see I'd need a FOID card to build one now.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:06:39 AM »
wow  can't even  have  a good pellet gun  in  that land  of OBAMA
i  understand  mass  is  as  bad too

we  used to  cut  top and  bottom  of 6 cans
and  one pop top can with  a nail  hole in the bottom
tape them  all  together pop top towards  the open cans
a  few drops of gas or liter fluid in  the  hole,  shake  the gas  down the ''barrel''
light  the hole  and  boom

i put a wire through  mine for a stop  in  the 2ND can
place  rotten  apple over muzzle tap  on ground  and  the  cookie cutter sizes  the apple
tap  til  apple hits  the stop
during snow ball fights as a kid  this  made  a rotten apple shot gun
i  would  aim  and get a friend  to  light

just  wondered who  else reminisces  about child hood toys

45-70.gov wrote:
Thanks 45-70, that brings back some memories.  Back when I was a kid, when beer cans were made of steel, we did the same thing.  Our projectile of choice was a tennis ball.  And that was in the Land of Lincoln, sorry to see I'd need a FOID card to build one now

That makes three of us...and all from IL. If they take our guns, you can be sure that we will come up with an alternate!...I am thankful that I still have two eyes and 10 fingers after going through those years.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:10:37 AM »
good  point about  the eyes and fingers

before  the apple cannon  we used tennis balls too

when  i  was  raising  kids  i  just  let them  go wild but made  sure  they wore safty glasses

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »
My son made a couple of spud guns using 1.5" PVC for the barrel and a larger diameter, maybe 3" or 4" PVC for the combustion chamber.  He used the cheapest hair spray he could find for the propellant and rigged a BBQ ignitor as the firing device.  He would shoulder it like a bazooka, press the BBQ ignitor and away the spud would fly.  He does have a FOID card, but has never been carded at Kroger's   ;)
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:47:20 AM »
you can  stick   a  glow stick  in the potatoe  at  night for  a tracer