Author Topic: Handloads for an AR 15  (Read 1915 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Handloads for an AR 15
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »
Like many others since the election I am the proud owner of a new Bushmaster AR 15, I bought the flat top gun with a 24' heavy barrel. I shot some factory 50 and 55 grain ammo, and it went into 1 1/2" groups. I set up the Dillon and tried a 60 grain Hornady with some old MR 223 powder. 3 shot groups are almost always under 1/2! Is this typical? The trigger is better then I expected and it is very easy to shoot. Does anyone have input on reloads? I am thinking heavy bullets. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Handloads for an AR 15
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
heya Shot ... 9 times out of 10 you are going to get a 1 in 9 twist rate barrel in the ARs these days... And yeah they favor a heavier projectile ,Least this is what i found in my load trials with a Mini 14 w/ a 1 in 10 a Colt  AR w/ a 1 in 9 and a H&R heavy barrel w/ a 1 in 9  .... I have had alot of good luck with all three rifles with 55 grainers and a Sierra recommended loading of RE-7 (reloader 7) @21.5 grains   2900 fps / 1027 ft. lbs.       ...Real accurate load ,none of the rifles broke an inch in groups except the mini but only after the 3rd round .. Thats just your classic mini's barrel warming fast and changing impact on you ... All groups were at 100 yrds .. All three did respectable with the 62 gr FMJ speer bullets with Varget...Mini liked those the best even with a warm barrel ..

I have had some of my best luck with the 68 hornady matches and 69 gr sierra matches using Varget ... Only the H&R did real well with my present 75 gr loads .... but i have some more trial and error to go through with the AR since its the newer of the bunch ... Though the AR and the H&R  REALLY liked the Hornady TAP 75 gr offering so i know the AR can shoot 75 gr rounds super accurately , Just got to find its sweet load .... I would say start off with some of the 60 weights and play around . ... I mentioned the 55 gr load i found to do so well simply due to that being the most common bulk buy wt. gr.

Hope that helps a little Shotgunner,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline fastbike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:45:59 AM »
Actually, this twist rate may be 1 in 8 or 1 in 7. Sub MOA accuracy is common from most. As stated, the heavier bullets are better. Try some 62's and up. The 69s may be perfect. Any of the real light varmint bullets (~45g) may come apart. I've had good luck w/ Varget, H-335, and Tac. I typically load 55 and 62 grain bullets because these are easier to find. I like the Nosler Custom Competition 69 grain when I can get them for a reasonable price.

heya Shot ... 9 times out of 10 you are going to get a 1 in 9 twist rate barrel in the ARs these days... And yeah they favor a heavier projectile ,Least this is what i found in my load trials with a Mini 14 w/ a 1 in 10 a Colt  AR w/ a 1 in 9 and a H&R heavy barrel w/ a 1 in 9  .... I have had alot of good luck with all three rifles with 55 grainers and a Sierra recommended loading of RE-7 (reloader 7) @21.5 grains   2900 fps / 1027 ft. lbs.       ...Real accurate load ,none of the rifles broke an inch in groups except the mini but only after the 3rd round .. Thats just your classic mini's barrel warming fast and changing impact on you ... All groups were at 100 yrds .. All three did respectable with the 62 gr FMJ speer bullets with Varget...Mini liked those the best even with a warm barrel ..

I have had some of my best luck with the 68 hornady matches and 69 gr sierra matches using Varget ... Only the H&R did real well with my present 75 gr loads .... but i have some more trial and error to go through with the AR since its the newer of the bunch ... Though the AR and the H&R  REALLY liked the Hornady TAP 75 gr offering so i know the AR can shoot 75 gr rounds super accurately , Just got to find its sweet load .... I would say start off with some of the 60 weights and play around . ... I mentioned the 55 gr load i found to do so well simply due to that being the most common bulk buy wt. gr.

Hope that helps a little Shotgunner,

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Heya Fastbike ,

I checked BM's site thier hunting ARs w/ a 24" barrel come 1 in 9 ... the predetor model only comes with a 20" tube w/ a 1 in 8 ...

I assumed that 1 in 9 was the case since the majority of ARs are that these days ... But nonetheless  the heavies are a good direction for your AR Shotgunner.

Let us know how that works out with a range report ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »
If you found a load that shoots 1/2 or less why change that?  The heavier bullets are usually more expensive anyway.  Not trying to discourage you from using the heavier bullets, but 1/2 moa is the jackpot for a factory rifle.  If you do go heavier try the 69gr matchkings, they're kind of the old reliable.

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »
Thanks guys, I bought a box of Seirra 69 gr. MatchKings and a box of 63 grain factory loads. I am going to stock up on some factory loads but want to make sure then shoot first. It is the beginning of the deer season in PA and I have not had much time to shoot. I will report in as soon as I get a chance to do some testing. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:28:13 AM »
My 1:7 Colt 6920 shoots my 55gr Sierra GameKing loads into 1.5" all day.  But it'll put 75gr A-Max's into the same hole if I can hold it that steady.  Problem is, I have to single load them because they won't fit in the magazine.  I'd be thrilled with 1/2" groups with 60grainers.

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:19:54 PM »
I am buying as many 63 grain Federal softpoint factory loads as I can afford. I like the thought of this load for hunting or defense. I will handload my practice ammo. As soon as the deer season is over I will have time to work with it. What scope do you guys prefer? Shot......
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 02:03:16 AM »
60 grain v maxs are what mine seem to perfer. Some have done a little better with a certain bullet but all do extreamly well with vmax bullets.
blue lives matter

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:14 AM »
Shotgunner,
I have a hvy barrel Bushmaster AR as well and have found a reload that it likes.  Even though you mentioned wanting a heavyier bullet, you may want to try this.  Its with a Nosler 50 gr BT, 25 gr of Benchmark, WSR, and LC brass.  OAL is the max for the magizine.  It usually does about 1/2" - 1" at 100 yds.  Just a suggestion......

deerandduck

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
The bushmaster continues to amaze me. I just replaced the scope with  a Nikon 4X14 and I shot a couple of groups with those 63 grain factory loads that has 3 shots touching. I have some Sierra 69s to try this week, if it gets warm enough. I also added a 16" barreled upper, with a red dot and will use up the 55 grain ammo in that. I have decided to put together a lower and have two separate guns. Never thought this black rifle thing would get to me. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt