Author Topic: Handi Original Chamberings  (Read 1601 times)

Offline 277284

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handi Original Chamberings
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
What were the first chamberings when the Topper/Handi was introduced (1963 ?), and when did the SB2 come out with what chamberings?  I had a 357 Mag and a 30-30 back in the mid 80's, and have been checking them out recently.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi Original Chamberings
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
SB2s weren't available until H&R 1871 offered them in late 1986 and 1987 after Harrington & Richardson went belly up, the original company used just one type frame which was cast iron, they had no SB1 or SB2 designation. The SB2 is heat treated investment cast alloy.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
I do not know this to be a complete list,or if all calibers were available when they first came out, but they were chambered in 30-30,22 Hornet, 357, 44, and 256 Winchester. The first I had experience with was 256 winchester. Wish I still had it!
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
I was not aware of the .256 Winchester but IIRC there may have been an offering in .22 RemJet as well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
.256 Win sounds awesome.
What's the story on that round?   (sorry if this hijacks the thread, but it kind of applies   ;) )
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »
Thanks, the available calibers is really great nowadays and still affordable.  The shop I went to yesterday didn't know what they had because I asked for a H&R Handi rifle, they said they had none, I asked again and said they had the Topper.

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
Ditto to MSP's comment.  I remember the .22 Jet, but not .256

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:11:10 AM »
The 256 was a winchester bullet made baout 1960. Its formed from a 357 Mag case necked to 25 cal. IIRC the Ruger Hawkeye was first chambered for it followed by the Marlin 62 Lever rifles.

It began to have problems when Re-loaders tryed to "soup" it up and ejection problems occured. I had a Marlin and a Contender barrel in this caliber.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:35:23 AM »
You have me thinking now. I'm pretty sure it was a 256. There was a single shot pistol that shot the same round. I remember the pistol looked like a single action, but had a "flat" cylinder.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:49:50 AM »
We have two of the older versions in 30-30, one is marked Topper the other H&R sure must have been a lot of versions they produced. This is the current one I'm working on now. Will be mounting a scope rail and scope soon.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:52:14 AM »
Don't forget the 45/70 Shakari.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 04:59:17 AM »
In the actual "Topper" line, I know of 2 different styles.

One has a profiled receiver and one without. I do not have access to my photos right now but will attach pics later:

I personally own a .410, 20 ga, 30-30, and 22jet in the profiled "Topper" version. I also own a 12 ga and a 16 ga in the non profiled version.

The profile does not allow larger calibers like the 12 and 16 ga.

I think that there may be a 22 hornet in the profiled version but no one has ever posted a picture of one. (If one exists, i will find it and buy it!) I have been looking for at least 20 years.

In the non profiled "topper" I have owned a 30-30 and a 22 hornet. To the best of my knowledge the 22 jet was only offered in the profiler version.

Also note that the profiled versions have the snap on forend.

Brian

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
Hofs, Thanks for the history lesson. I would like to see the pics if you can post them.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »
What carbineman said!
I'd also enjoy seeing the pictures.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
There was also the 44mag Shikari. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
I remember the .256 Win. cartridge, just don't remember it ever being a factory offering in an H&R.  The .22 Rem. Jet was also based upon the .357 mag - necked to .22.  It was introduced by S&W around 1960 or so in the 8 3/8" barrel model 53 revolver. 

Even as a pre-teen youth, I remember cringing when I read a story in either Outdoor Life or Field & Stream about some outdoor writer hunting black bear with this revolver - by taking head shots - nose on.  What a stunt!

I do also remember a 4-barrel combo offering in 30-30, 22 Jet, 20 ga and .410

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 01:38:21 PM »
You have me thinking now. I'm pretty sure it was a 256. There was a single shot pistol that shot the same round. I remember the pistol looked like a single action, but had a "flat" cylinder.

That would be the Ruger Hawkeye!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/firearms/PDF/PartsBooklets/D6.pdf

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 03:39:15 AM »
Add one more to the list.

I looked through some of my gun bluebooks, and apparently in the mid '70s there was also a H&R model 258 Topper that was offered from the factory in 357max. It also had a nickel plated frame and barrel.   :o   

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »
Add one more to the list.

I looked through some of my gun bluebooks, and apparently in the mid '70s there was also a H&R model 258 Topper that was offered from the factory in 357max. It also had a nickel plated frame and barrel.   :o   

That is very strange because the 357 Remington Maximum wasn't introduced until 1983.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 04:18:44 AM »
Don't shoot the messenger.  It lists .357magnum AND .357maximum for a model 258 topper.   :-\

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:21 AM »
The Harrington and Richardson Handi-Gun II, Mod 258 rifle/shotgun combo,  1982-1986 was factory chambered in .357 Max.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »
SB2s weren't available until H&R 1871 offered them in late 1986 and 1987 after Harrington & Richardson went belly up, the original company used just one type frame which was cast iron, they had no SB1 or SB2 designation. The SB2 is heat treated investment cast alloy.

Tim

Tim,
I've been reading some articles on Wesson and Harrington and H&R.  It seems (from what I've read) that when H&R took over in 1986, they still were selling rifles, specifically the Buffalo Classic and Target Model, under the name of Wesson and Harrington or NEF.  Do you know if this is true?  If so, do you know how long Wesson and Harrington's were made under the H&R name or were they just selling off old stock?

As you know, I have recently acquired a W&H and still haven't pinpointed at least a fairly accurate date of it's manufacture.

Secondly, with the frame being made of cast iron, would this frame be more comparable to today's SB1 frame in your opinion or would it be somewhat stronger?
Again, having nothing to reference against, I'm concerned about loading too heavy on this frame, especially with the 45-70 loads.  I recently found some accurate loads but they were in the mid to heavy range for typical Marlin or Winchester leverloads.

(sorry to break the momentum of the original chamberings talk guys)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »
I'll think you'll learn the W&H BC and Target were made in the '90s on SB2 frames, H&R Gardner fitted rifle barrels to them, the only reason the current H&R won't fit barrels to them is because the serial number build year info that Gardner had was lost during the move.

Tim

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 06:29:02 AM »

Not to take this further off thread but IIRC there was a magazine article about the BC and the .38-55 Target model where they said they were making them and calling them by that name, W&H to bring back the nostalgia of those rifles.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 07:53:52 AM »
If you read the details of Jon's website,  you'll see that the W&H was probably made from 1996 to as late as 2003.

Tim

http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/

All Wesson & Harrinton models are 100% American made in Gardner, Worcester county, Massachusetts.
We believe Frank Wesson and Gilbert Harrington would be as proud of these firearms
as the ones they built here over one hundred and twenty five years ago.

Text and Pictures Copyright 1996 - 2003 © by Wesson & Harrington All rights reserved.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »
  Not to take this further off thread but IIRC there was a magazine article about the BC and the .38-55 Target model where they said they were making them and calling them by that name, W&H to bring back the nostalgia of those rifles.

That's what I had read as well.  Whatever article I had read stated something like "the finer firearms produced by H&R carried the W&H name to carry the tradition....yada yada yada....".

Thanks for your input.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »
Thanks Tim.  As always you seem to have quite a handle on things when it comes to these H&R's.  Maybe you should do some consulting work with H&R for a while and get them updated on their facts etc.   ;D

In any case, it's relieving to know it's more than likely an SB2 frame.  A friend of mine who is a very knowledgeable gunsmith and machinist has told me time and again to stop worrying about it and just shoot it but I guess I'm just a bit of a worry wort. 
I've noticed that the case coloring (and wood finish too) seems different on my W&H than the newer H&R's which is why I questioned the manufacturing and make-up of frame...year of manufacture and general strength.  I like the coloring of the W&H, it seems to be a little more subdued and classic looking.  It's definitely a fine looking rifle.

I did read the BC tripod website and it give a very nice history on the rifle and the original owners etc.  It's good reading.  Thanks!

In regard to your first comment, fitting of barrels; does this mean I probably cant fit a newer barrel to my W&H or does it just mean that H&R won't do the fitting?
Although I'll eventually pick up another rifle, probably the 45 Colt model with the case coloring, I'd like to add a 30-30 to my set-up.  I'd love to have a 32-20 or 32-40 as well.  I guess that will be a custom job for the future though.

Attempting to get back on the subject of original chamberings, I'm surprised that a 32-20 was never offered in the early days.

Anyway, thanks again Tim.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
I've seen a .221 Fireball barrel that I believe to be factory, probably a topper from the 1960's when the .221 and .223 were the latest things.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »
Dug out the old rifle and pistol when I went back home over Christmas. I was wrong. The pistol was indeed a Ruger Hawkeye in 256 Winchester. The H&R is  .22 Jet.  Guess the mind is going!!!
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO