Author Topic: Hornady 110gr V-Max & Doe  (Read 648 times)

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Hornady 110gr V-Max & Doe
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »
My first doe with the 6.8. 50 yd shot down hill. T/C Encore 26" barrel. Factory 110gr V-Max. She arched her back jumped a couple of times and went down.
I should have taken pics after she was cleaned. The bullet went in and took out two ribs made a mess of the lungs. When it went out it broke three ribs and made a crater in the mud. Did not recover the bullet.

IN

OUT

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Hornady 110gr V-Max & Doe
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »
Good info, thanks for the post. Great job by the way. About how big was the exit? I am using a barnes tsx. The vmax would be much cheaper to load. From the picture it looks like the vmax has a bigger exit than the tsx.
Thanks
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Re: Hornady 110gr V-Max & Doe
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:36:01 AM »
The V-max did more damage to the ribs than the hide on exit. The inside was damaged about 2 1/2" and the hide was peeled off the meat. I could get two fingers in the exit hole.
Late season opens up on Jan 1 - 15th. I will try to lengthen my shot to 75 yds to see how the V-Max works. This is a new caliber for me so I have to learn where the limit is for this bullet and caliber. I thought the 6.8 would be the perfect round for my uncles farm because 150yds would be the farthest shot.