Author Topic: New project  (Read 1267 times)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
New project
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
I've decided that this winters project is going to be a 6" S&W M19 and cast bullets.  I don't need to feel the earth shake when I let the hammer fall but at least some authority.
I'm looking seriously at the Lyman 358429, it's a 170g Keith semi wadcutter. 
This project is at the research and procurement phase.  I already have a few hundred pounds of wheelweights and 4-5 hundred pounds of plumbing lead on hand. The Mod 19 has been found and the deal is done, just waiting for the funds/pistol swap.
I have located a 4 holer mould but can't find handles. Which brings the first question: Do RCBS handles fit Lyman moulds and if so, is there a particular model I need to look for?
I've learned something else as well!  I don't know if it is our new President-Elect or some other reason but new brass is hard to find!  I have some 357 and 38+P brass but would like to start with 500 to 1000 pieces of new.  I've never tried Starline so I thought I'd give it a try if I can find a source that's not sold out.
I have been a ladle caster for a few years but I think it's time to move on at least into the 20th century, of the Lee, Lyman, RCBS bottom pours, is their any real significant difference worth choosing one over the other?
Though I will slug cylinder throats and barrel, I'm betting sizing to .358 is going to be about right but if not I'll use that size die for other pistols and get the appropriate size die.
I'd like for anyone that would care to, to join in on this project as much as a forum would allow and I always like to show off if it goes well or have somewhere to seek help if it doesn't.  I never fail to listen to good advice or suggestions wether I heed them or not. I'm sure I'm going to need a bit of guidance from those of you that have already traveled this particular path.
Second question:  What kind of performance can I expect with this bullet?  I'm thinking of at or about 1100fps?
From what I can tell so far Lil Gun does this with the lowest chamber pressures. What can you tell me about the actual performance and characteristics of this powder?  Would 231 be better, worse or just another powder? Any other suggestions?
From what I can find out this bullet is a bit long but the cylinders in the 19 are long enough to accommodate it?
If 1100fps is doable (in respect to longevity of the gun) it is on the upper end of wheel weight velocity without a little help ie. adding linotype or heat treating?
Number three:  I have mostly used homemade lubes and I will admit with some success but I'm tired of that particular mess!  I did try some Lyman molylube with some 45 acp's and it worked well as a lube but was soft and messy.  Lube recommendations?
Any suggestions before I get any further?
I'm posting this in 3 forums because it is specific to all three-S&W, Casting and Reloading, so Bill, I hope you don't kick me out!
Thanks in advance
BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: New project
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Butlerford45 I put a set of lee 6 cavity mould handles on a lyman 2 cavity mould for my 30/30 with a little help from a side grinder to modify them with don't see any reason you could not do the same as far as the pots go I would go with the RCBS pot only because of the warranty on them and I am afraid that is all the help I can give you on your project good luck with it D Crockett

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
He is asking about four cavity not two cavity Lyman moulds. The hinge on the other end from the twos. The hinge on one and two cavity like most all others are between you and the mould. On the Lyman four it's on the far side of the mould from you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:59 PM »
I've used the Lee drip-o-matic pots for years, tinkering with them will stop the dripping, and the price isn't prohibitive. For bullet lubes I've tried the RCBS green stuff, Lyman orange magic, Lyman moly, and some stuff that I made, but found that Lars Carnauba Red from White Label Lube does the best for me. I like Blue Dot in my .357 with almost everything that I shoot, but especially with the 180 grain cast bullets.

I don't believe you can get better brass than Starline, but that's my opinion, worth what you paid for it...

You may want to post this on the Cast Bullet Forum, as there are a lot of old coots there who live for this stuff.....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:12:18 AM »
Get Some of Verals blue lube, I hear its very easy to use.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »
I've done a bit of net searching for information on the Lyman 358156 and based on what has been recomended and the lauditory comments that I've read, I believe that this may be the second mould on the list.  I also found a gentleman today that will make a hollowpoint modification.  This in the hollowpoint  configuration in a two cavity mould, one hollowpoint and one flat nosed might make an ideal "end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it mould. 
I had completley forgotten about Aliant 2400, it was the first powder I used for the 44 mags and came to be the only powder that I used for that cal. but I haven't loaded a 44 in 15-20 years.
I still have some win 296 from another project and I always try to have Win 231 on hand but it's starting to look like that may not be one of the better choices.
I did order brass from Starline today and I think it is the first time that I can remember that the manufacturer was cheaper than their distributers. Thanks for the tip, Dale
Still looking for handles, MidSouth, Midway and the other biggie (brain fart) are all showing them on backorder.  I guess that I am going to have to get them from Lyman at an additional 10+$. I didn't even find any on eBay!
Bill, I'll check with Veral about the lube. Thanks for the second on this Bob.  I have no complaints about the performance of the moly, just the mess but I still haven't made up my mind about moly yet maybe another decade or to. 
OLDHand, nice shooting!  I'm learning that life is too short to do all the things I would really like to do. A special thanks for the words of encouragement.
Tom, I did post this on Castboolits
But anyway there she is so far and I'm looking forward to this.

Butler Ford

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »
I will watch this closely, as i have a four inch model 19, and am a big beleiver in heavy bullets, even for self defense. I think 2400 would be great.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »
IMHO it is a waste of time to hollow point any cast bullet. The best attribute of the cast bullet is to punch a clean hole and penetrate. The hollow point adds nothing except extra labor and trouble.

2400 is an excellent choice for heavier loads. Don't discount W231 for lighter loads as it is clean burning and consistent.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
At the speed you want, 1100fps, LilGun may not be a good choice.  If you want to push it faster then it will be a very good pick for 158g and higher.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 05:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the intrest folks, Doc, I'll try and keep you up to date with what happens.  Autorim, for the most part, on a day to day basis, I agree with you but casting hollowpoints that work would be an education in casting in and of itself. I probably won't but was a passing thought.
DP, thanks for the info on LilGun.  I'm going to have to try this powder in some other project, high velocity and lower pressure is something that I'm not going to be able to leave alone!
Well, I'm ready to go except for handles, none of the mail order folks had them in stock, so I ordered them from Lyman, I'm not pleased with those folks, I believe that if they didn't have them, they should have let me know, anyway after waiting two weeks I called to ask the status of my order.  The gentleman that answered the phone sounded like someone had just pissed in his Cheereos, so I turned on my friendliest Good Morning, Sir, my name is..., Is it possible to check on the status of my order?  I have the order number in front of me if that would be any easier for you."  Well, it worked, nice guy afterall.  Seems that they don't have any and won't get anymore until some time in January.  Back to eBay, someone had a "buyitnow" set for about the same price as Lyman, I hope he's quicker with his delivery than Lyman!

Have another question, upon recomendations received here, I have a 358156 on the way.  I've never used a gascheck.  I know my choices are Lyman and Hornady, slip on or crimp on.  Which do I want, and why?

Anyway just letting you know that I'm not procrastinating but waiting on necessary parts.

BF
Butler Ford

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »
Hornady I do believe makes lymans gas checks, so there really isn't any diffrence. I always buy hornady and I crimp them on when I run the bullets thru my Lee sizer, work great never had a problem that wasn't pilot error. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »
Oh there is a VERY definite difference between them or still was the last time I bought either. I can't say for sure that today Hornady doesn't make them all but they dang sure didn't used to. I doubt they do today.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 03:27:44 AM »
Have another question, upon recomendations received here, I have a 358156 on the way.  I've never used a gascheck.  I know my choices are Lyman and Hornady, slip on or crimp on.  Which do I want, and why?

You'll find lots of oppinions.

Some folks don't like gas checks to fall off in flight - they may or may not affect accuracy.

Some folks like the gas checks to fit onto the base without scraping lead - again that may or may not affect accuracy.

Some folks will anneal the gas checks so they fit on easier.

Some folks will open up the gas check first with a small punch to ease their fitting onto the base.

Some folks will modify the sizing die bottom punch to only contact the outer edge of the gas check (or lead bullet) base.

And some folks will seat the gas check in a seperate operation.

There are other gas checks made by individuals as well, often for less $.

Generally accuracy is easier to achieve with gas checks over plain base.

Gas checked bullets can be driven faster than plain based bullets.

Some folks get away with shooting gaschecked bullet styles without gas checks.

You now have a LOT of options to try.  Enjoy.

I listen to the successes that folks have - that says I can do it too.  Just because someone says it won't work may not mean that it can't be done; it may be an indicator that it might take a lot of attempts though at getting it right.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 05:03:35 AM »
Well, the -156 was in the mail when I got home from a gunshow yesterday ( I did buy a handmade pen), so when the dust settled and the guy's had left I fired up the new pot and cast a few over 100 good bullets out of wheel weights.  Now I'm back to waiting on checks this time.  I want to use crimp on, will that be Lyman or Hornady?
Cat Whisperer, thanks heaps!  That was a lot of help!  ;D
Butler Ford

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 04:38:40 AM »
Well it looks like I've several powders to try and three different bullets not to mention playing with the alloy.  The final goods should be here tomorrow or Saturday. That's the way things normally go because I work 12 hr. shifts Sunday, Monday and Tuesdays and there isn't much time in those days to get much of anything done.  Just checked Wednesday's forcast: Partly Cloudy with high of 52°.  Looks like it may be a good day to try a cylinder full or 3 down range!
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  I'll be back with results and more questions.
Butler Ford