Author Topic: How did I do with this purchase?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Trav

• Trade Count: (0)
How did I do with this purchase?
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:19:46 AM »
Hey guys.  I have been perusing the classified adds for a 300 WSM.  I came across a used Win 70 Featherweight in a 300 WSM and went to take a look at it....it came home with me.  Let me know how I did.  The previous owner put on a Boyd's nutmeg laminate thumbhole stock (original stock was also included, not a mark on thumbhole stock or original stock).  Blueing near perfect.  Very, very little wear on the bolt.  He also added a removable muzzle brake.  This was my only hesitation due to noise level, but I figured I could always remove the brake if I didn't like it.  I shot 5 rounds from the rifle this morning at 100 yards (actually measured with range finder, not estimated) off the tailgate of my pickup in quite windy/gusty conditions, and I am Very happy with the brake (felt about like a 243, no kidding).  I have not measured the group yet, but 4 of the five are well under 1", and the 5th shot opened the group up to around 1.25" (again, this was off the tailgate of my pickup in the wind).  I am not super excited about the scope that came on the rifle, (Barska 3-12x50 Huntmaster Pro with Illuminated Reticle) but I can live with it for now, however, the leupold mounts and rings will probably stay.  He also threw in a set of RCBS dies, a neck sizing die, and a crimp die.  He also tossed in 224 rounds of handloaded ammo (this is the ammo I used this morning), 125 new Winchester brass, and all of his reloading data from working up the loads for this rifle.  He said that he had planned to bed the stock, but had not gotten it done yet, so he threw in the Brownell's bedding kit that he had purchased for it.  Then just for the fun of it he threw in a full box (50) of Nosler Combined Technologies bullets and a hard sided rifle case. I walked out his door with all this for $550.  Did I do OK?
If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat???

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: How did I do with this purchase?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
I think you already know the answer to that question Trav. ;)
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
Nice job,
It sounds like someone really needed the money. The extras probably add up to what you paid for the rifle.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
You done good kid, you done good!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
Very good deal.