Author Topic: tamer 20 ga  (Read 580 times)

Offline coonhunter69

• Trade Count: (0)
tamer 20 ga
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been kinda lurking since about a year ago.  I bought my first H&Rs-a Versa Pack for my son & a .243 Handi for myself-last year.  I purchased a Tamer 20 ga last night from Academy & it has about 4 washers on the stock bolt.  Is this normal?  Any reason behind it?  I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is there any reason why I shouldn't change the bolt length?  I was thinking of buying a 1/4" or 1/2" shorter bolt to get rid of the extra washers.

Thanks,
Stephen

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: tamer 20 ga
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
No one has reported the length of the Tamer stock bolt, but the standard stocks use a 4" cap screw, the Survivor is 5", what's the length of the bolt they used? Measure from the tip to the bottom of the head, don't include the head thickness. A shorter bolt shouldn't hurt a bit, but too long will impede hammer movement preventing it from being cocked.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
My Tamer stock also had either 4 or 5 washers on it from the factory....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say the bolt is one that is used also on another stock and the they just use the washers to shim it out as to not interfere with the hammer.  Totally a money saving thing so they don't have to order another special size bolt. 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline coonhunter69

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:47:03 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll see about measuring it & getting a bit shorter bolt.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
I just checked the 2008 parts list for the Tamer stock bolt, or tang bolt as they call it, it's #S01349, all of the other firearms use #S01723...including the Survivor which I know is an inch longer cuz I had one!! Maybe Choate changed the stock so it uses the same bolt now?  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain