Author Topic: fluxing  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Billy Marr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
fluxing
« on: November 21, 2002, 12:29:59 PM »
:-) Get some Nokorode plumbers flux use a table spoon every so often I flux when there is a large amount of crud built up on the top of the melt. You did not say what temp you are casting at but if you alloyed before and are dropping ingots into the pot that are at lyman#2. You may have zinc floating to the top at higher temps as most wheel wieghts are coated with it. In it self it poses not much of a problem. It will make bullets brittle though.
The citty litter works as it will absorbe the crud into it, But it will absorbe the good stuff too.
What I do is put a chunk of Nokarode in my dipper and runit to the bottom as it bubles up it will flux the metal and relly clean it up. Scrape the left over scum and let what is left float over the top. This will provide a barrier between mettal and air thus reducing fluing.
lead bullets done right

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Fluxing Too Often While I Cast
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 01:15:09 AM »
Billly turned me on to the nokorode a  while back and it works! I flux with it when I start and then I just skim the crud occasionally. I find that most people flux way to  much.
blue lives matter

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Fluxing Too Often While I Cast
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 02:22:16 PM »
Hmm, sawdust - have to find me a supply of good, clean sawdust.  Preferably cedar.  That seems a LOT more desireable to me than using waxes or oils.
WHUT?

Offline sundogg1911

• Trade Count: (0)
flux, flux, flux
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 02:17:33 PM »
I scoop the crud (dross) about once every 10 to 15 minutes.
gives the mould a chance to cool down, and you can't flux to much.
I use wax when making ingots, and marvelux when casting bullets.
but I do more stirring and scooping than actual fluxing. that can get expensive :twisted: