Author Topic: SR-4756/.357  (Read 497 times)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
SR-4756/.357
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:10:08 PM »
Going thru the powder cabinet the other day, and found a half a can of SR-4756. The price sticker was for $5.95,(8oz. can), and I know for certain, the gun shop I bought it from, went out of business over 20 years ago. I opened it up, the cardboard wad was still in the lid, so I smelled it. Really couldn't smell anything different, so thought, what the hell. Dug out one of my old reloading manuals, looked up a load, and split the difference between start and max loads listed. Bullet is a 158gr.SWC, plain base. Loaded up 10 rounds, just in case something went wrong, and I didn't want to pull 50 or so bullets.
Went out back with one of my swingers, and let er rip. At about 10yds, the first 3-4 rounds were leaving a nice tight little group, probably around 2'' or so. The rest of them just dirtied up the plate in the same area. Pleasant surprise.
I was just wondering if anybody else has had any experience with with 4756. I no doubt will work with some of my other powders that I normally use. I did notice one thing with this powder. I zero'd out my electronic scales, and thru some extra just to see how it metered. I could get 2-4 in a row, no varience, then I would get one .2 or.3 high, then back to the original setting. And since my powder measure has always been spot on with other powders, it kinda thru me. Anybody else ever had this happen, with 4756, or any other powder?  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: SR-4756/.357
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
I experimented with it and went back to my standard powders. If I had a can that I didn't have any other use for I would do just as you are, find a load that shot the same as my regular stuff and burn it up. Make lots of extra trips to the range, shoot and shoot and load and load until that whole can was gone. Before it got too old you know.

Offline Harry O

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: SR-4756/.357
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »
I use SR4756 for hot 32-20 handgun loads.  It was recommended by Ken Waters and it has turned out to be the best 32-20 handgun powder that I have used.  I have tried it in other cartridges and have not gotten results that were as good as with the 32-20.  It does not work well with reduced loads.