Poll

Should they throw the book at Plaxico Burress? The NFL player that shot himself.

Yes
9 (47.4%)
No
10 (52.6%)
Not sure.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Should they throw the book at Plaxico Burress? The NFL player that shot himself.  (Read 2129 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I say he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If it were you or I we would stand to do serious jail time. If convicted he will have to serve 3 1/2 years. Just another thug!!!! Dale

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/12/01/2008-12-01_mayor_bloomberg_fuming_over_plaxico_shoo-3.html
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
After the Sean Taylor and Darrent Williams incidents, I don't blame some players for concealed carrying, and normally I'd say let him go...

But,

I'm still bitter that Burress got away with so much dirty pass interference in last year's NFC championship, and my Packers lost.
Throw the book at him.

Offline DalesCarpentry

The point is no one in New York city is allowed to carry a handgun. He just plain broke the law. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
He should be treated the same as anyone else doing the same. No better or worse than someone you never heard of. We are all supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law. Course we all know how that works in real life.

Offline powderman

What kind of a moron would tuck a pistol inside the waistband of SWEATPANTS????? Now we know. POWDERMAN.  :D :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
idiots like him make all of us look bad
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
i agree with dale    if it was you or i this would not be a question      we would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law   period    he deserves no special treatment because he can catch a ball      as a public figure he should actually be held to a higher standard like police and other public employees
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
I agree, that is the law and he should not be treated any different than any one else. With that said, the law in New York city is a bunch of bull hockey. I know of a guy that stuck a 9mm in his pants and shot himself in the most private area you can imagine. :o A trip to the hospital and a few days later, he got his gun back from the local police. Not sure how he is doing with the ladies these days. :-\
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline DalesCarpentry

I agree, that is the law and he should not be treated any different than any one else. With that said, the law in New York city is a bunch of bull hockey. I know of a guy that stuck a 9mm in his pants and shot himself in the most private area you can imagine. :o A trip to the hospital and a few days later, he got his gun back from the local police. Not sure how he is doing with the ladies these days. :-\
OUCH!!!!!!!!! Maybe they figured he allready paid enough. Dale

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
That is a true story, the "gentleman" worked for me. I was working second shift and did not see my wife all week at the time. On Saturday mornings we always had a cup of coffee together and talked over things, getting caught up. She said guess what, a guy shot himself in the crouch and he had to go to the hospital. I said ya, I know and he works for me. ::)

He did not come to work the next day after the "incident". I asked some people where "Bill" was and I could tell that they knew, but no one would tell me. Finally his best friend told me he had an accident. I thought it was a car accident. Well I found out the next day what really happened. He went to a bar after work with two white girls he worked with (for me too). He did not want to go in, because it was a well known redneck bar. The girls said "Oh they are friends of ours, there will not be any trouble". Well guess what, there was trouble a plenty. Bill got so pissed off he went to his car to get his 9mm. When he stuck it in his waist band (in front) it went off. That was the end of his night. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I guess I see New York's law as unconstitutional or at least wrong and would vote not guilty if on the jury.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
i do not agree with or like the new york gun law either     but the law is the law     if you do not like it    get it changed     do not just ignore it       i do not like the murder law as written so does that mean i get to shoot people i do not like?     facts     an unlicensed person had possession of a firearm in an area he was not authorized to have it   and shot someone  himself luckily    that is a long list of possible charges

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
i  think  if  someone  wants  to go  out  and carry a gun concealed
and  spend  large  amounts  of  cash
they  should not  do so in states  with  oppressive gun  laws

then they should  come  and  do that  in  my  state.....Florida

i  am  at  all  times  armed  and  i am perfectly legal
i  don't  enter  places or  states  my gun  is not welcome...neither does  my  money

[ i  think  it  is  illegal to  shot  yourself in  public]

all  should  be treated  equally  under  the law

be nice  to see  jury nullification  in    a high  profile  case
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
it is illegal to shoot anyone including yourself    in public or not    if you kill yourself it does not matter but if you only wound yourself it is attempted murder or att. manslaughter if you get lucky   in public just adds reckless endangering to the list of charges

Offline victorcharlie

I guess I see New York's law as unconstitutional or at least wrong and would vote not guilty if on the jury.

+1  I see it exactly the same way.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter

+1  I see it exactly the same way.

not  guilty......well  a hung jury is  best  we can  get even  with  a jury  pool  100% from  GBO
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
ok so change the situation just 1 fact    suppose he shot someone else in the leg  by accident  instead of himself     still a hung jury    would you convict him then      what if the person was you or one of your family    if the answer is yes to any of them  you are a hypocrite      wrong and illegal is wrong and illegal regardless of who you hit and who that person is     he broke the law     that is black and white     that is a fact

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
Jury pardon.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
for  carrying......he  has  a right  not guilty

if  he  was  drunk  guilty
and the  neglegent  discharge......i  had  one  once....clearing a friends jamb gun  in  younger days

FREEDOM  ISN'T FREE

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
billy i really like you      but what world do you live in    the jury can not pardon a defendant       only the state gov. or the president can pardon       i also do agree with you that new york gun laws really suck    really really suck     so get them changed thru the proper process     if he walks it sets a legal precedent and the next gang banger with a gun and a slick lawyer can cite this as precedent to get off also     think about all the results before you let a criminal walk away with a not guilty verdict      besides the jury's job is to decide a very specific question    not set legal trends and make moral judgements

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
A jury pardon is where the jury does not agree with the law or that the person charged with the violation should be punished for what they did for one reason or another. If not a proper term for it it is slang for it. Many years ago there was a case of where a child was kidnapped and sexually abused by his coach, even though it showed the kids father on the TV camera shooting the creeop in the head killing him  the jury refued to unanimously convict him resulting in a hung jury at the trial and retrial. The prosecution dropped the caes and the man was freed.

http://rexcurry.net/fijawrit2.html

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
45-70   you are 100% correct     freedom is not free     and i will also bet you he did not fight for it    he was too busy making money in the NFL to fight for it    and has the mind set now that he has fame and money so he can do anything he wants      which unfortunately is probaby true      he will get a high end lawyer to cite past jury decisions that also were totally absurd and walk  

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
I  HAVE  BEEN  ON  JURYS  OF  ABOUT  15  CASES
was  seated  on the grand jury  twice

i  always  wanted  to  say  he  did  it but i  say not  guilty  because  the law  is  wrong

but  i  was  on  cases  with  bad  guys  so  i  voted  to zap  them

but  had a seen  a pot smoker  or  concealed  weapon  charge......not  guilty

but  a drunk  or  pot smoking  gun  toter......guilty

Offline eod20

• Avid Poster
  • stinker
45-70    i respect your views     but please do me a small favor    if i am ever on trial and you on the jury judge me on the current law as the judge instructs and not your personal interpitation of it     it is called the law for a reason       it looks to me as if you are leaning towards guilty for any crime that does not involve just a gun     how about a mentally retarded subject with a gun or an emotionally disturbed subject with a gun   or a convicted felon with a gun?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
sorry  Mr. 20  i  missed  those

i  am  sure  this  ball player  is  a nut and  probably drunk

but  i  am  a  fan  of  jury  nullification/pardon [new term  for  me too

why  we  have such a just  system
you have  a right to a trial by  a jury
and  the jury  has  i right  to set  you free

some  of  the  conficted  felons  are  conficted of  laws i don't beleive  in
but  for the most  part  they  are  trash....i  do  understand  that

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
 he broke the law     that is black and white     that is a fact

The 2nd amendment was "black and white" first.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
Well said Fazak.

So EOD if Barrak Obama and his political machine were to outlaw guns tomorrow would you turn yours in or be  criminal for owning yours? Or if on the jury of a person arrested for owning a gun would you convict?

Offline BullyDawg19

the real problem is that most juries dont know that they have the right to not follow the law if they find it wrong. the judge wont allow the lawyers to tell them that. so they go in there and deliberate with the notion that the law is the law and its either black or white and they don't even consider that it can be gray.

Offline magooch

It is not impossible to get a concealed carry permit in New York.  As a practical matter it might be nearly impossible, or very difficult and that makes the law ipso facto unconstitutional in my book.  So, Mr. Burress made some bad decisions and apparently broke the law.   I could not in good conscience imprison a person for violating a bad law.  He didn't use the weapon in the commission of a crime, so he gets another point, or two.  I don't know his state of sobriety during the incident, but if he was not sober, he loses a few points.  He didn't hurt anyone but himself, so I give him a complete pass on that aspect.

I'm going to totally ignor the argument about what would happen to any of us, should we be dumb enough to screw up in this fashion.  I don't believe that sentiment validates the law.

The bottom line is that sending someone to prison for not hurting anyone, but themself and just being stupid and not complying with a law that most anyone who respects the Constitution should believe is not valid, is excessive.  He gets a fine and at the most, a years probation.
Swingem

Offline nw_hunter

It is not impossible to get a concealed carry permit in New York.  As a practical matter it might be nearly impossible, or very difficult and that makes the law ipso facto unconstitutional in my book.  So, Mr. Burress made some bad decisions and apparently broke the law.   I could not in good conscience imprison a person for violating a bad law.  He didn't use the weapon in the commission of a crime, so he gets another point, or two.  I don't know his state of sobriety during the incident, but if he was not sober, he loses a few points.  He didn't hurt anyone but himself, so I give him a complete pass on that aspect.

I'm going to totally ignor the argument about what would happen to any of us, should we be dumb enough to screw up in this fashion.  I don't believe that sentiment validates the law.

The bottom line is that sending someone to prison for not hurting anyone, but themself and just being stupid and not complying with a law that most anyone who respects the Constitution should believe is not valid, is excessive.  He gets a fine and at the most, a years probation.

I agree! There are too many bad laws on the books, and a lot of them concern guns.

Several years ago, I was called to jury duty, and the case involved a young boy (18) 17 when the so called crime was committed. In my state only 10 of 12 can convict if the case is not a capital crime.

Two of us found him not guilty. His defense, or lack of was terrible, and I didn't think the state had proven it's case. Even if he was guilty I thought 5 years in a state prison with a lot of scum, would do more harm than good. The two of us couldn't convince any of the others to see it that way. The Judge told us how we had to make our decision and they believed they had to comply with him.

NOT TRUE!......... I often wonder what became of that boy!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.