Author Topic: Rock 'n' Roll sexigenarian?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Rock 'n' Roll sexigenarian?
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »
My son is musically inclined and I asked him why he is listening to so much old 1960s and 1970s rock music. He says its because its good, and it's better than anything new he can find. I was alarmed to learn also that he is not alone by any means. It is absolutely normal for kids to listen to that era of music.

I thought kids were supposed to have their own music so they could alienate their parents.

For goodness sake, it's great that the likes of Jeff Beck are more popular today than they were in their hey day, but the idea of a 16 year old admiring a guy who is now about 65 seems a bit odd.

So my question is, who are the good musicians today? Not necessarily rock, but any genre of lively and energetic music. Are the kids missing something new?

Safety first

Offline Questor

Re: Rock 'n' Roll sexigenarian?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
It goes further. It felt obscene when I dug up some of my old Hendrix and Deep Purple tunes and introduced my son to them.
Safety first

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
Guitar Hero brought on a lot of it.
Most of the songs on the game are "Retro".
My niece was so surprized when I knew the name of the bands.
I said "hunny that stuff was already classic when I was your age".

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »
...and I said "that was old when I was your age".
Safety first

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »
my son honestly cut his teeth to black sabbath.   he was teething, and nothing settled him down like some sabbath at a comfortable level. 

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
Sounds like he has good taste.  It has nothing to do with the musicians.  It's all about the music.  Most people understand that a lot of the old Rock n Roll delivers a timeless message that isn't available any place else.  The only messages being delivered by today's music are so trivial as to not be tolerable by today's more intelligent youth.

Questor don't be concerned, be proud. ;)   

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »
Questor don't be concerned, be proud.   

Until he breaks out the bong, quits bathing and wants to join a commune. :D

Just kiddin', lots of todays younger folks like "classic rock".  When I was a high schooler, disco was king and I listened to a lot of '60's stuff instead. 

Jim

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Have you listened to whats on the radio? Most of it is black rap music, which is words and a beat about being a lowlife. There is some good music like plain white t's ,jet, dropkick murphy etc. This music just does not get the airtime or the exposure that the misunderstood black musician gets. It's all about dumbing down our youth and glorifing the black culture.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 01:37:18 PM »
Bob Seger said it best "today's music ain't got the same soul".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6UJZtCz1-c
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Brett

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:54:07 PM »
my son honestly cut his teeth to black sabbath.   he was teething, and nothing settled him down like some sabbath at a comfortable level. 

I hear you Myronman. With my daughter it was Stevie RayVaughan.  Tried all the usual, Braums Lullaby, the sound of a babbling brook, birds chirping, etc. nothing worked.  One day I got fed up listening to a tape of a heart beating which was doing nothing to help with the crying and decided to through on Stevie RayVaughan and Double Trouble Live ALive and she settled right down.  All I could figure is that's the type of music she was used to hearing while she was in her mother's womb.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »
All I could figure is that's the type of music she was used to hearing while she was in her mother's womb.     

that or a thought i had  is that the rythmic bass and drums may sound similar to the sounds a baby hears inside mom.  just a guess.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
I took my 17 year old daughter to a Bob Dylan concert a few weeks ago. I was very surprized to see most of the people there were under the age of 30. She is an avid Dylan fan and enjoy much of his music.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.