Author Topic: Barrel fitting question.  (Read 298 times)

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
Barrel fitting question.
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
I finally have a 7-08 barrel that i want to fit to my rifle.  upon examination i notice the latch notch has been filed down on the front(end toward barrel) but not on outer end.  this has changed the angle of the shelf for the latch. The outer end is slightly too high to lock up, so if I file that down slightly it may close but will have very thin latch bearing surface.  So I figure I will have to build the shelf back up and then file at proper angle to the height needed.  Large part of my question is would JB weld be hard enough to last on the latching surface or do I need to weld?  Many thanks for your opinions in advance.  Thanks Don.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Barrel fitting question.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
If I understand the question correctly, I would say no, JB weld will not hold up for very long on the latch shelf.

Could you post a pic, so we can be sure of the place your speaking of?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel fitting question.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:19 PM »
Partsman epoxied a shim to the latch shelf successfully, then filed it to fit, there's a link to the thread in my barrel fitting instructions in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain