Author Topic: Misfires?  (Read 485 times)

Offline RLA

• Trade Count: (4)
Misfires?
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »
Took my new 45-70 to the range today. took box of Leverevolution ammo. shot rifle 16 times, but 4 were misfires.
i opened rifle, took shell out, cleaned it off and reloaded. did not fire again! is it the rifle or just bad shells? thanks, ron

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: Misfires?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »
Did the firing pin leave a good dent in the primers that didn't fire?

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
Are you holding the trigger all the way back until after the shot?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:48:32 PM »
Ammo issues are one thing, as Slufoot hinted at, if they have a good pin strike on the primer, it's likely bad ammo, but if it got a shallow  strike, it's possible you're not following thru and pulling the trigger all the way to the rear to make the transfer bar stay all the way up which allows lighter pin strikes. If you are following thru on the trigger pull, it's likely got slightly too much headspace, not usually a problem on older ejectors, but on extractors it puts too much distance for the pin to travel and hit the primer with good force and you have misfires. I had the same problem with my new 45-70 SS Ultra Hunter, but I remedied it by modifiying the extractor to hold the case against the standing breech, I get 100% ignition with factory and handloads......and excellent accuracy. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »
I think they've started using harder primers in the Leverevolution ammo in the past year.
I've had the same problem with both my 45-70 and both of my 450 marlins.  2 or 3 out of 20 won't fire on the first shot.  I have some older L.E. ammo that works fine.   ???

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
Quit the frustration and install a new hammer spring. A the same time
install a lighter trigger return spring. I used a spring from a fountain pen which has only a 6oz resistance. This really helps with the follow
through and helps a little with the trigger pull weight.

Head space should no be a problem since the firing pin protrudes at least 0.045" or more so a bit of headspace should not prevent the firing pin to ignite the primer.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.