Author Topic: Conceal Carry in National Parks signed  (Read 608 times)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Conceal Carry in National Parks signed
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »
Don't know if this is in any other rooms but did not see it in this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081205/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_guns_national_parks

WASHINGTON – People will soon be able to carry concealed, loaded guns in most national parks and wildlife refuges.

The Bush administration said Friday it is overturning a 25-year-old federal rule that severely restricts loaded guns in national parks.

Under a rule to take effect in January, visitors will be able to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge — but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows concealed firearms.

The new rule goes further than a draft proposal issued last spring and would allow concealed weapons even in parks located in states that explicitly ban the carrying of guns in state parks. Some states allow concealed weapons but also ban guns from parks.

"If you can carry (a gun) on Main Street, you are allowed to carry in a national park," said Chris Paolino. a spokesman for the Interior Department.

The Interior Department rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulation required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

Assistant Interior Secretary Lyle Laverty said the new rule respects a long tradition of states and the federal government working together on natural resource issues.

The regulation allows individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal parks and wildlife refuges to the same extent they can lawfully do so under state law, Laverty said, adding that the approach is in line with rules adopted by the federal Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Those agencies let visitors carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.

"We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

The rule will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners on federal lands and make federal law consistent with the state where the lands are located, Cox said. The NRA led efforts to change gun regulations they called inconsistent and unclear.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"Once again, political leaders in the Bush administration have ignored the preferences of the American public by succumbing to political pressure, in this case generated by the National Rifle Association," said Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades," Wade said.

The park rule will be published in the Federal Register early next week and take effect 30 days later, well before Obama takes office Jan. 20. Overturning the rule could take months or even years, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Conceal Carry in National Parks signed
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:37:47 AM »
You ca't carry a weapon into a National Park??
Hummmmm.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 02:48:20 AM »
williamlayton, that was always the case as long as I can remember.  Glad to see that finally changed.  Here in Michigan, state parks were exempt from concealed carry when the ccw law first went through.  But they were able to get that changed right away.  :)  Good to hear there are some level heads at work in Washington.  Now if Obama just doesn't reverse it!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline dbriannelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 03:49:28 AM »
I used to hike stretches of the Pacific Crest Trail over a period of a couple years.  The Mexico-to-Canada trail weaves in and out of national parks and state and national forests, and private and other public lands.  Most of California is open carry believe it or not, so I'd carry a Bearcat or J-Frame or other light revolver on my hip during these treks.

The only places I couldn't legally open carry were in the National Park segments.  If I could even tell I was entering one of those (usually by the map because they weren't sign-posted on the trail), I'd stop, unload, and put the revolver deep enough into a pack to convince even the most skeptical ranger that I had no intention of shooting federal bunny rabbits.  As the no-carry law was rabidly enforced, people got into a lot of trouble if they weren't paying attention.

This federal regulation change won't change much in California, unfortunately.  It only applies to concealed carry, and CCWs aren't easy to get here (being a Senator helps).  But it certainly is a step in the right direction.

Backpacking with a concealed handgun is no more difficult that with an openly carried one, so if I ever get back into that stuff I'll be doing it in a place where my CCWs work and not sweating the boundaries.

Bravo!  Another small step in the right direction.

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)