Author Topic: Barrel weights and measures  (Read 224 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Barrel weights and measures
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:29:25 AM »
The thread on standard calibers sort of ended on this subject and rather then hijack that one I decided to start another. 

I would like to see a section in FAQ on barrel weights.  I have heard they are too light to worry about but actually handi barrels are rather heavy.  I have heard more then one person state the my .30/30 Handi is heavy.  While it's true that the barrels taper more for the smaller calibers then the larger ones, that taper starts at the end of the forearem.  That first 11 1/2 inches are pretty much the same as a 12 gauge so I feel that the larger bores will be lighter even with less taper but we will never know unless we can weigh them.  My postal scale ends at 3 lbs (48 oz) meaning I can only weigh certain shotgun barrels.  My .30/30, 357 and .44 barrels all exceed 48 oz so I will need to find a postal scale that goes to 5 or 6 pounds.  If we all weigh our frames, stocks and forearms we would then know what the whole gun would weigh with another barrel.

My only barrel I can accuratly weight is my 28" modified 12 gauge and its 37.8 oz with the screw.