Author Topic: WD-40?  (Read 424 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
WD-40?
« on: December 06, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »
ive its good for guns, ive heard its bad for guns.  what do you think, using it for a rust preventitive?
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: WD-40?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »
It's fine for short term protection and cleaning up a wet firearm, but for long term protection there are lots of great alternatives, BreakFree CLP is available everywhere and works excellent, Eezox is a little better, but not easy to find unless you mail order it.

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »
are the alternatives better because they last longer, or because the WD-40 damages something if left on a gun?  thanks~~mike.
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Waldo Pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »
The WD-40 has one major problem with guns, when use internal on revolver or automatics it eventually will dry up leaving a shellac like film something like the brown gum sometimes seen in vlave covers of engines. This is why any lock smith will tell you never to use the stuff in locks.

I picked up a hell of a deal one time on a S&W CS-45 automatic because the owner had used WD-40 and the gun become almost unusable and even the slide was hard to work. I brought the gun home and used diesel fuel and then disk brake cleaner to get the gun clean. I kept it awhile and then tripled my money about 3 or 4 months later.

For use inside of revolvers that you do not want to take apart all that often I recommend a good synthetic oil of some type. I used Mobil 1 5W-20 oil for years on my guns and then in recent years Mobil 1 in spray can and Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease for the rails on my auto loading guns.
"How is it you do not understand me when I speak? It is because you cannot bear to listen to my words."

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »

WD-40 was a product actually designed for "Water Displacement" thus the name WD.

The only guns I use it in are muzzleloaders and that's only right after I give them a water bath to clean them. They then get oiled with a goof quality oil.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff