Author Topic: How do you carry your 38 "snubby"  (Read 2053 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
How do you carry your 38 "snubby"
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
I just bought a model 36 and have been carrying it in the IWB holster I bought for my NAA Guardian (it fits the holster better than the Guardian). I love it and it dissapears just as well as the Guardian does. How do you carry yours? Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline dbriannelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: How do you carry your 38 "snubby"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
I'm everywhere, Charlie.

When I'm in a state where I can legally carry concealed, a J-Frame is either in an El Paso Saddlery "Street Combat" holster on my strong side, or in a jacket or trouser pocket.

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »
NO holster, a Barami hip grip, most comfortable way to carry, easiest to conceal, I've carried a M60 this way since 1974.  only way imho.
H08

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:34:14 PM »
front pocket....centiniel  357
almost  always wear jeans...might get a hoster one day  LH
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:31 PM »
In my hand ready for immediate action for the most part.  :o  :o  :o

How do I pull that off while carrying it concealed you ask?  ???

Glad you asked cuz I got an answer fer ya.  ;D

I wear vests. I have several and exactly where it goes and how it's used depends on the vest. My cool weather vest is the very best there is. It's basically made like a hunting vest with a game pouch that is front loading and the pouch of it extends all the way to the zipper area of the vest. I just tuck the S&W 638 in that on the right side. Then I can walk across the parking lots with my hands in those pockets like I'm trying to keep them warm and at the same time have the revolver in hand ready for immediate action. Note that it is the 638 meaning light weight SS and with the concealed hammer that can still be accessed for single action fire under extra accuracy is needed. It can be fired from inside a pocket without worry of the concealed hammer catching on the clothing.

The other vest I most often wear is a much lighter weight camo vest also with game pouch but it can't be used as the above vest. With it I have to put the revolver in the right hand front pocket which has a snap to keep it closed. Most often when walking in a parking lot the snap will be unfastened and my hand in the pocket on the revolver. When I get to the store or to my vehicle depending on which direction I am traveling I snap it and go about my business.

In each case I have the gun actually in hand and ready to be deployed instantly even without having to remove my hand from the pocket if there is that much rush. This method might not work as well tho with a 36 as the hammer might catch on the vest material so you'd likely need to remove it before firing to be sure of having a second shot if needed.

I'm tried holsters and have several types available but have never yet found a more secretive carry method nor one that allows the revolver to be deployed as quickly and if the SHTF and you need to use it you need to use it as quickly and effectively as you can.

In really cold areas a large coat pocket can be used same way rather than the vest pocket.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:22:57 AM »
In a coat, or trouser pocket. No 38 though. A Model 60, 357 mag.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:19:23 AM »
I've done a front pocket carry before, but the gun is impossible to get to when seated in a car.  I find the weight of the gun (lightwt S&W snub) drags down one side of a vest.  But a vest makes a great cover when wearing an IWB holster.  I have a Blade-tec tuckable and can also hide the holster when just wearing a shirt.  You need to do what works for you.  I find I also buy my pants one size larger to allow for the holster, and I don't wear tight fitting shirts either.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 09:33:48 AM »
I find I also buy my pants one size larger to allow for the holster, and I don't wear tight fitting shirts either.  44 Man

44 Man I found the same thing to be true. I now wear loose pants/shorts for this very reason. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »
 S&W 36 = Barami hip-grips, Taurus 85 = hip grips, Charter Undercover = hip grips. I have tried dozens of holsters and carry methods and imo this is the best for the way I usually dress (jeans and t-shirt)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
I have three holsters I like, and four ways I like to carry it. All depending on what I wear...

DeSantis Paddle, DeSantis pancake, a neoprene custom made ankle and a tactical vest.

Mine is also a well worn 638, shoots very well. I would never be with out a "J" frame. I hate the "looks" of the Body Guards, but the practical side of this gun is unavoidable.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »
my  dad  carried  the body guard

the rest  of  us  have  sentinels

you  can  sew  a pocket  in  a back  supporter  for  real  concealment
and  that's  what  i use  for the  629
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline funshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
I also carry my snubbie in either a vest or coat pocket most of the time, at least in cool weather. Mine is usually in my hand and no holster when carried in this manner. This has been my favorite carry method for many years and I've never had a problem with it... very fast access. My current snubbie is a Charter 2000 Bulldog Pug, factory ported .357mag. I intend to pick up either a shrouded hammer or concealed hammer before long, also in .357mag. I usually carry 124-135gr HP .38+Ps and a speed loader of the same wt in .357mag. If on my bike or in the truck, I use the inside breast pocket of my vest or jacket.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 02:24:32 AM »
I was thinking about this post the otherday and remembered a holster I really like and totally forgot to mention!

Its my Bianchi 9R shoulder holster. VERY comfortable for all day carry. If your not familiar with it, it carries the revolver upside down. It was used a a number of movies The actor Andy Garcia used it in Black Rain back in the late '80's. Some people don't like it as the muzzle is pointed at your body, but to my mind as long as its in my own control, pointing at myself is a non issue.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:06:21 PM »
Taurus 85 2" UltaLight SS in 38 Special, in either a Right handed or Left handed Uncle Mikes holster. 

• The right handed inside waist holster is carried strong side at about 4:00 o'clock.
  • The Left handed inside the waist belt holster is used for a 6 o'clock or small of back carry.
  • Strongside front jacket pocket of heavy winter coat. I like to keep it in a holster even in the pocket as it keep trigger protected, reduces printing, and keeps lint out of the revolver

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »
Anybody think to ask Plaxico Burris how he carries his.

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »
I carry in a ankle holster most of the time. I also carry iwb and in my coat pocket.
Eph2:8-9

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 11:37:16 AM »
Anybody think to ask Plaxico Burris how he carries his.

That's an easy one....His finger on the trigger and the muzzle pointed at his leg!

Offline Troll64

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »
Long, long ago I carried a Taurus model 85 with a 3" barrel. Carried it for years under the left armpit with the barrel facing backwards. I lived in cold country and any shirt or coat worked well. I always favored the 3 inch over the 2. I shot +p swc and was able to put all five shots on the old style paper grocery bags at 50 yards all day long.  My gun liked the heavy bullets. I am sorry I no longer have it. I am about due for a new snubby .357....I already have large .357 revolvers and rifles. Seems fitting to have a snubby of the same caliber to fill out the collection... ;)
The Lord is my Light and my Salvation;
Whom shall I fear?

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »
S&W 37 Air Wt. 38  Chiefs Special, right front pocket in Bianchi " in side the pants" type holster, with hand loads. I removed the pants clip from the holster. In single action, with target loads, its Pepsi cans at 25 Ft.
For " everything else ", it hollow points.

The Hermit

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
I love my little S&W J frame 637 and will conceal real easy in my front pants pocket of my Dickies pants.  Most times though I am wearing my UC Compression shirt from my old UC days that still works for great carry under any button or snap shirt.  No one can tell as it just disappears, but I know exactly wear it is all the time should I need it.

Offline Dee

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 03:43:55 AM »
Not to pick on anyone, as the world is full of gadgets, and Lord only knows I have tried my share of them. However, I once knew an old Sheriff from Montague County whom captured one of the most famous of all serial killers. Henry Lee Lucas was the killer, and the guy that caught him carried a 1911 inside the waist band of his pants. No holsters, no special shirts or belts, just stuck it in his pants. I used to kid him about it, and he'd just smile and say; I know where it is cause I can feel it. That was a great old man, and a dangerous one to boot. Other younger officers stayed away from him, and I would get in the car with him anytime. I trusted him in a fight, and he trusted me.
Many old timers used to have a coat or pants pocket leather lined with thin leather for carry of a so called "pocket pistol". The methods are endless, but in my older years (NOW!) that old Sheriff was right, and I was wrong. Keep it simple stupid! ;)

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »
but in my older years

OLD!! Are you really THAT OLD?

Offline Dee

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
but in my older years

OLD!! Are you really THAT OLD?

Well there are older. I was speaking of about a 30 year old reflection of what I thought then, and what I know now. I'm 60. Why? ;)

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
Well there are older. I was speaking of about a 30 year old reflection of what I thought then, and what I know now. I'm 60. Why? ;)

I was just kiddin with ya. 60 isn't "old" by today's "standards". Thirty years ago, 60 was close to the end of a life span, but today, that's far from the what it use to be. When I  worked for a living, I knew many people who started their second and even third carriers at 60 or there about.

Dave

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
I've had three careers. I am now back to my second one. I will most likely never retire. What would I do?

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »
I wonder if that is technically your fourth?  ???

Offline Dee

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
Hmmmm? ??? Now I won't sleep wondering. :-\

Offline dbriannelson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »
Posted earlier about how I carry (where I may legally do so).  The guys who mentioned the Barami grips got my attention though.  Back in CI I'd sometimes just tuck an Airweight into the belt and wear it under Class A's.  Never was perfectly secure, but it was hidden and available.

So I ordered a set of Barami grips for a J-Frame and got them yesterday.  Cheap and ugly, but really good!  Behind the hip, in front, even weak side they make carrying comfortable, handy and secure.  Now I haven't spent any time carrying that way and likely won't until my next road trip, but they sure seem to do the job.  And all for about $18 retail.

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)