Author Topic: the light came on..  (Read 575 times)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
the light came on..
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »
 i been trying to figure why i was just not getting a shot at an deer..
  been using my savage 06 so i could make a long shot if needed..
 the light just came on the other day as i was driven past an dense
brushy area.. thats where they are in daylight.. so changing tactics..
  gonna take the 30 30and just hope i get lucky in the dense cover..
 may not have any luck but can t have any worse..

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: the light came on..
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:23:39 AM »
 Deer will figure out when the pressure is on & sit tight. You can post up on the down wind edge of the thick stuff in the A.M. & eve & hope for a shot as they move. Another option is some type of 'push drive'. Let a hunter slowly move through the cover, zig-zagging if required, silently, from the upwind side. The idea is to let the scent of the hunter blow in while one or 2 are in position on likely escape routes, downwind.  A few quick tail flashes as you walk through don't usually do you much good. Safety at all times.
NRA, Veteran

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: the light came on..
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:42:05 AM »
After being disturbed and shot at a few times even dumb yearlings will settle into a spot where they aren't being bothered anymore. I expect that an older wiser deer figures out the signs of hunting season, and probably moves into his sanctuary almost before the season opens. Here in the west that means you need to go where "no man has ever been before". That usually means getting out of the truck and walking into places without roads.

With everyone using ATVs today, those places are hard to find. I went back to an area I had hunted probably 30 years ago and hadn't been there since. Back then there were few roads and almost no hunters and quite a few deer. Today, there are ATV trails all over the place and no deer. The deer haven't been killed, there are just as many deer in the fields as ever, they have just found sanctuaries where even the ATVs can't find them.