Author Topic: How do ya'll like the Superlight Handi?  (Read 920 times)

Offline Muddy05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How do ya'll like the Superlight Handi?
« on: December 06, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
Thought about tryin out the superlight someday. How do you guys like yours?
Go 214th!!

Offline 1911bmw

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: How do ya'll like the Superlight Handi?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »
I've got one in .223.  I've only shot it at paper but it groups well.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
I had a superlight .243 as one of my first Handi rifles.I hated it.The .243 is probably the most problematic Handi from an accuracy standpoint I have discovered.I cannot comment on the .223 but I am sure others here can do so.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:36:05 PM »

I have one in .223 but I haven't made it shoot good yet. I consider it a challenge.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
I have two 243 Superlights, I liked the first one so much, I bought another so both of my grandsons would have one. The Hornet and 223 barrels are far less temperamental due to less barrel heating, but even the 243 SL can be a good shooter if you don't mind shooting no more than two or three shots at a time which for big game isn't an issue, mine puts the first two rounds well under 1" at 100yds then the 3rd opens the groups to 1½-2".  It wouldn't be my first choice for colony shooting, but Stimpy took his to Hooker and had did good, he's worked with light and heavy bullets, and got good results, I've only shot his 100gr loads, and they work good. ;) I think the only secret to getting the Superlights to shoot well is don't let the barrel get too warm which takes a bit of patience at the range.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,69409.msg424720.html#msg424720

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,120452.msg1098403544.html#msg1098403544

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,128677.msg1098468038.html#msg1098468038

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,108207.msg1098316670.html#msg1098316670

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,149615.msg1098623331.html#msg1098623331

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,126873.msg1098454708.html#msg1098454708

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:06:28 AM »
I took a youth 243, put a varmint stock on it, and am hunting with it.  You can't get much lighter.  As Tim said, the first shots are dead on, as the barrell heats it begins to open up.

If you are using it for hunting, thats fine.  Make the first shot count. 

So far, mine has harvested three deer this year.

For punching paper, use the 223.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:27:26 AM »
I hunted in Maine a bit this year and used a .243 Handi with H&R Survivor stock and forearm. Mechanic is right, you cannot get much lighter. As Quick has said the first 2 or 3 shots out of a cold barrel are usually pretty close or within an inch so for hunting purposes this is a great setup. It is quickly becoming my favorite carry gun, and I did not like .243's at all for my hunting but am changing now that I have some experience with them.
Also thanks to trotterlg for his great work on my .243 barrel, squaring the breech, turning the outside of the barrel so the outside is more concentric with the bore, recrowning it, and after all the work, parkerizing it. That work was an experiment that I offered my barrel for the see if facing off the breech end flat and square with the action would improve accuracy. It did so a bit and since then I have been shooting the gun more and more.
I agree with Quick and Mechanic, the accuracy problems of the .243 in Handi's are related to barrel heating. For hunting situations where you only need 2 or 3 very accurate shots at a game animal to harvest it, 99.9% or 100% of the time (not colony varmint hunting) a Handi in .243 is fine....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Muddy05

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:36:45 AM »
Thanks guys! I would use it for whitetail hunting in Alabama and all I would probably get is one shot, two at the most, so it sounds like it would do just fine for me. I probably would just use the open sights and not scope it. How much does the superlight cost now days?
Go 214th!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 05:25:48 AM »
Sportsman's Warehouse had a Superlight on sale for $169.99 two weeks ago, couldn't tell what chambering, but that's the least I've seen one for. I didn't ask to look at it, they were real busy and I knew if it was a Hornet, I'd want it, but can't afford it now with CHRISTmas shopping to be done still. ;)

Bud's has a SL youth for $242 shipped,

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_351/products_id/89094

Offline Muddy05

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:36:42 AM »
Thanks Quick. I like the ol' Hornet myself. I shot my dads a lot and came home on day to get it back out, couldn't find it.... So' I asked him where it might be and he told me he traded it off..... broke my heart :'(  hehe
Go 214th!!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »
Got the nephew his first handy last year

243 super light and it shot great with winnie and feds 100 gr loads ... i worked up a reduced load for him with a winnie 80 gr psp and it shot great too .. I did use it while out hog hunting to take a spirt of the moment Ram ( bout 175 pounds)  ummmm Yeeeah  100 gr fed blue box Bang Flop ... Couldnt complain if you paid me to ... Maybe i have just gotten lucky with mine but no ejection issues or sticking problems and with the slip on limb saver , It fits my frame pretty nice while still being smaller and light then even my marlin papoose 22lr

Side note thought ... I was thinking about a 223 superlight for my twin neeces  (next in line to my nephew) but i think i read the twist rate is slow , Am i mistaken there guys ?

Another side note ... The super light i got for the nephew has a factory camo'd butt stock and forearm , Has anyone else seen this one ? Or did i get really lucky ?
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline ricktile66

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 02:55:13 AM »
I bought one in .243 a few years ago for my daughter.  Had a hell of a time getting it to shoot though.  After floating the forearm and trying many different loads finally got it shooting good.  It seems to like 80 or 85 grain bullets the best but does average just over 1" with 100 gr Sierra game kings.  Won't eject anything loaded over medium loads though.  It is very short, light, and easy to carry.  Recoil isn't bad either.

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 03:36:21 AM »
I got the Youth Model in .223.  Tiny!  I think performance improved when I "O" ringed the front lug ala FAQ instructions.  The barrel heats up VERY fast, even in .223, but it reliably puts the first two shots "bang on".  No good for prairie dog shoots, but fine for specialty use on deer and other uses where the first shot out of a cold barrel is the main priority.  (Mine will put 3 handloads into about an inch @ 100 yards if I allow adequate cooling time between shots.)

PC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 05:34:54 AM »
               Side note thought ... I was thinking about a 223 superlight for my twin neeces  (next in line to my nephew) but i think i read the twist rate is slow , Am i mistaken there guys ?

Another side note ... The super light i got for the nephew has a factory camo'd butt stock and forearm , Has anyone else seen this one ? Or did i get really lucky ?

Current production 223 Superlight barrels are 1:9", but that just changed not too long ago, earlier this year they were still working on an older barrel run that was 1:12".

The synthetic camo stock set is no longer available, I have one on one of my 243 Superlights, so I guess we're lucky! :-\ The wood low comb camo is still available tho.

Tim

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
Mmmmmm Do like to hear that Tim,

I like being LUCKY ;D  ...So then its a 50/50 that i would get the 1 in 9 , Bleh  Was kinda holding off just because of that ... Well i have a good friend that has a local shop with a couple 223 SL youths i might cart the cleaning rod , ruler and masking tape down there and find out ... Dont think Lefty would be oppossed to selling a rifle  heh
  You know though ... a light handy 223 with a 1 in 12 would be a nice addition for busting crows to yotes with a full size stock on it ... Hmmm will have to think on that one
   Thanks again Tim .. As always you are a wealth of knowledge ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
Sportsman's Warehouse had a Superlight on sale for $169.99 two weeks ago, couldn't tell what chambering, but that's the least I've seen one for. I didn't ask to look at it, they were real busy and I knew if it was a Hornet, I'd want it, but can't afford it now with CHRISTmas shopping to be done still. ;)

Bud's has a SL youth for $242 shipped,

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_351/products_id/89094

So what frame would the SL 22 Hornet be on?  SB2?

Lazer
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 04:51:45 PM »
Default, it should be easy to tell a 223 SL 1:12" from a 1:9, I think the 1:12" should only have ejectors, anything newer would have an extractor. Don't hold me to that, but if it's an old barrel run, it should hold true. ;)

Lazer, the only centerfire rifle chambered barrels that have ever been produced by HR1871 that are on SB1 frames are the 357mag and 44mag, all others have been on SB2 frames.

I was at Sportsman's again today, the SL was gone, but they had a 30-06 Handi on sale for $199.99!! ;D

Tim

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 02:14:55 AM »
My Hornet shoots great, and is my "walking rifle" for prairie dogs.

It's much more comfortable to carry than the Ruger No.3 Hornet.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com