Author Topic: Deer and snowey weather  (Read 998 times)

Offline .308sniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
Deer and snowey weather
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »
Just wondering. will deer move in snow showers?
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
Re: Deer and snowey weather
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:02:13 AM »
In my experience yes. In heavy snow where their visibility and senses of hearing and smell are diminished not so much. I've found that deer activity is influenced more by the weather on it's way than the current conditions. How animals know nasty weather is coming I don't know, but they do. Just watch your bird feeder in the back yard.  When hawks are active and hunting, I try to be too.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline nebrguy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:35:58 AM »
Yes, and especially so during full rut.   I harvested a decent buck years ago in a fairly heavy snow fall .  If needing to follow a blood trail, you do not want to  wait long after the shot.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:26:21 AM »
Yes
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »
Snow? Whatzat? We don't get no stinking snow in Alabama.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »
I was out in light steady snow deer hunting today, no deer.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »
I shot a doe this year on Thanksgiving morning with snow showers and last year a buck the day after Thanksgiving with some heavy snow showers and a hard north wind. I love hunting when there is a light snow coming down, preferably with no wind and falling straight down. In my opinion there is no better time to be out, regardless of whether I see deer or not.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »
I've noticed that good morning hunting follows an overnight snowfall. I shot a buck in Wisconsin on Monday the 24th following an overnight snowfall this year and got another (doe) today Dec. 8 following yesterdays overnight snowfall. Especially if the weather warms up to near the freezing mark, the deer seem to be more active. I've noticed this in WI. MI. and Manysodas over the years I've hunted the three states.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:10 AM »
If it is a real heavy snow shower with lots of wind the deer seem to bed up and not move much around here.  But in a light shower or when there is snow on the ground and its really cold, they are up and moving. When I got my buck this year it wasn't snowing, but there was 1 to 1-1/2 inches of snow on the ground from the night before, and it was below 30 degrees. I saw 4 different deer that morning and they were all just moving through the woods pretty as you please. Except my buck of course, he was chasing a hot doe ;D.  So yes, if its not a real heavy shower or there isn't a tremendous amount of wind, the deer will most likely be moving.
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 08:43:18 AM »
One thing I have learned from watching the deer from my living room window,

Is that they all react about the same as far as weather.
If it is a nice clear crisp morning the deer come out of the corn fields between 7 & 8:30 AM. Find a nice place to lay out of any wind and in the sun shine most times. Some time around 12 to 1:30PM they stand up strech and some times move to a different but close by area to bed. About 3:30PM they start standing up milling around and then head to the corn field by 4:00 PM
They do the very same thing if it is raining a mist or a totaly gully washing down pour. In the rain they tend to get up more to shake the moisture off like a dog.
The very same thing in a snow storm dumping many inches or just a dusting. They will lay in the snow and let the snow all but cover them up.
When it is windy they try to lay on a hill side where the wind is some what blocked. If it is one of the normal bedding areas they are calm as any day. If it is a area they are bedding in because a dog has chased them from the normal area they are jumpy wind or no wind.

Note the snow on her back.

;D Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com