Author Topic: Practicing with Your USH ?  (Read 515 times)

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Practicing with Your USH ?
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »
Lihgtfields at $14 a box it is kinda hard to put a box through the slug gun every week to stay in shape.
So what do You all do ?  I was thinking about a 223 bull barrel when I get a USH  (a USH on a SB2 frame), put the same scope on the 223.
Would shooting the 223 help stay in form ?

can I buy light fields in bulk ??

Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
Re: Practicing with Your USH ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »
I have about the same problem as you. And .223 amo isnt that cheap anymore either. I have a NEF handi in .22mag that should help. Any trigger time is good, and should help. These slug manufacturer's are going to have to get these price's more realistic.. I am looking into reloading some this spring. A good shooting black powder gun is another option. Lot's cheaper to shoot too. About 2 buck's a shot cheaper.

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »
I was paying 7.99 a box for Lightfield 5 years ago, What happened ?????????????

Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
Oil price's went up....And supposedly the price of amunition went up because of the war..I think it's all motivated by greed

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »
 The slug prices are making it more practical for people to use Handgun Cartridge Rifles, here in Indiana. Another excuse for me to buy another rifle.

I am also thinking I read somewhere, Light Fields are used to develop the NEF H&R Slug guns. Now if that were the case Light field lost a major sale when Remington bought out H&R I would think. :-\

Lonny

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »
Shooting the gun you are going to use is great but the application and practice of good marksmanship with any gun is better than nothing. When I was in the Army we did alot of dry fire training. Get a snap cap first with with any H&R.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
This is exactly the reason H&R (Remington) should produce a .22 LR barrel to fit SB1 and 2 frames. I would have one in a heart beat. Preferably heavy enough to feel the same as ones "regular" barrel. For now I use my Ruger 10/22 that has a trigger aprox. like my USH. Like they said, any trigger time is good trigger time. JamesIII

Offline ericcbeckett

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »
I have a .223 with a 20 USH. Any range time helps with form. But the trajectories of a slug and .223 are so different, and the recoil is so different that I really don't think they are similar enough to say that if you are really good shot with the .223 that it automatically translates to the slug. The drop @ different ranges and wind effects are very different.
You can reload slugs for a rifled barrel for about $0.83 per round (-powder). You can buy 20 ga hulls already primed for $13/100 and buy slugs for $14/20. You have to buy a tool that attaches to a portable drill for $30 to make a roll crimp.