Author Topic: Sons first gun  (Read 616 times)

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sons first gun
« on: December 08, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »
What do you suggest for my sons first gun, he is only 4 but he will be big enough before I know it.  Do you think that he could start out with a 20 gauge or go with the 410?  How big or old do you think he needs to be before he can shoot?  Thanks for the help.  I am already getting exited about it.

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Sons first gun
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »
Many will disagree, but a youth should have respect for the weapon before ever picking it up.
4 is just to young to understand the "finality" of what a gun can do.
Somewhere in the 6-8 range, every child is differant.

Picked up a Rossi 3 barrel set for $199.00  (.22LR, 20 ga field, 20 ga slug), the 8 and 10 year old are shooting the .22 now, they will start the 20 ga this spring.

Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:45:24 PM »
yeah......
 my nephew is less than a year old, yet has one mighty fine deer rifle.   i had guns for my kids before they were ever born.   i dont think he was talking about giving the kid a gun, i think he was talking about buying it for him now, starting the collection a little early if you will. 

get him a 20 gauge because a 410 is not a beginers gun, it is an experts gun.   i grew up on a 20 gauge and they are still near and dear to my heart; even though i shoot a 28 now. 

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »
My recommendation would be a .22 first. I bought my daughter a .22/.410 Versa Pack when she was 8. She loves shooting the .22 but didn't like .410 because of noise/recoil. She is 10 now and just getting to the point where she doesn't mind the .410.

My 6 year old son feels the same way. He loves shooting the .22 but doesn't like the .410 yet. All kids are different but a .22 guarantees that your kid won't develop a flinch. My goal is to make it fun for them to shoot so I don't push them.

I took my friends 8 year old son to the range last summer. He liked the .410 for a couple of shots but then wanted to shoot the .22 for the rest of the afternoon. I asked him if he wanted to shoot the .410 anymore and he said no thanks, he wanted to keep shooting the .22.

I'd stay away from the 20 gauge for now. What seems like a small amount of recoil to us is a lot to a child. It's not worth the risk of the kid developing a flinch or dislike for shooting. There are a few exceptions, I've seen 8 year olds that can handle a fair amount of recoil but these are always the exception, not the rule. Start small and make it fun. It's a lot easier for your son to work his way up in caliber than the other way around.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
as far as how old?   that depends on alot.   i wouldnt even think about the shotguns before 10.   my son has shot my ar when he was 5.   my hands were over his, and i was all over him, but he still pulled the trigger.  BIG SMILE.   funny, i have the same reaction.

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
I didn't plan on giving my 4 year old a shotgun. I am preparing for when he is ready.  Which varies on maturity. I started when I was about 6 or 7. 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »
a bb gun, pellet gun (air rifle), or a .22, shooting Colibris or .22 shorts, standard velocity....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »
I would also go with a 22 for a starter and not start any bad flinch problems due to
a gun that kicks.

Also I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A ROSSI COMBO TO ANYONE :-[
If you want to see a disapointed young hunter than by all means get one.
my boy bought one with his own money @ 12 and I still hear about that junk.
I have done a lot of things to it and it will not shoot under a 4" group @ 100yds
243/20ga combo.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:14:52 AM »
  I would recommend as previous stated, .22-410 later a 20. But since you are into rifles also, I would recommend the .357 or .44. They are both really easy on the shoulder.

One thing I have figured out with my kids. Get good ear muffs and a shoulder pad. The less noise and kick will keep them interested. When my daughter was 12 and a skinny minnie she took over my Mosin Nagant at the range, after the Muffs and Pad were put on. :)

Good luck on whatever you decide. Thanks for bringing another child to the sport.

Lonny

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 06:25:54 AM »
BB gun. ;)

Spanky

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 10:28:31 AM »
what, you want him to shoot his eye out?   :o

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
His mother may have told him not to shoot his eye out, but his mother (in the movie) was a HOTTIE!!!....<><.... :o :D ;)

by the way, if enough time passes someone will suggest a 45-70 for his son's first gun, it usually comes up....<><....  ::);D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
I love the Rossi Combo,
The 20 ga slug barrel will keep a 3" group at 100 yards.
The .22 is dead on.

Just make sure you stay away from the H&R single shots, I once heard of a guy's nephew who had one and could not get a good group, junk I tell yea !

Slack

I would also go with a 22 for a starter and not start any bad flinch problems due to
a gun that kicks.

Also I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A ROSSI COMBO TO ANYONE :-[
If you want to see a disapointed young hunter than by all means get one.
my boy bought one with his own money @ 12 and I still hear about that junk.
I have done a lot of things to it and it will not shoot under a 4" group @ 100yds
243/20ga combo.
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net