Author Topic: VERY HARD cast vs. jacketed-help?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
VERY HARD cast vs. jacketed-help?
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
Iv'e been pondering the lazer cast bullets from oregon trail, as there are claims of "no leading" and good accuracy, etc.  I heard they were about 24 brn. My concern is that a bullet this hard might wear out my rifling as quick as a jacketed bullet. Any reason for alarm or am I really out of the loop? I thought the softer the alloy the longer the barrel life? Please tell me all I need to know! Thanks  Also, I don't have a slug your barrel kit, and was wondering if anybody knows offhand what @ diameter 45 slug I should run in a bisley blackhawk colt/acp?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: VERY HARD cast vs. jacketed-help?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
There is no reason for you to worry about jacketed bullets wearing out your barrel. You should be so lucky as to shoot enough rounds to do that. Don't believe claims they make that they won't lead cuz they are so hard. Depending on the load you use they may lead worse than softer bullets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:09:37 AM »
what will wear out first in a handgun barrel is the forcing cone. Jacketed will wear on it a tad more then cast but the powder used will dictate how fast it wears more then anything. Stay away from hot loads with ball powders and you will never have a problem.
blue lives matter

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
Loyde, what about extruded powders like h4227?

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:51:45 PM »
Sorry, Lloyd, for spelling yer name wrong ;D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 12:33:34 AM »
4227 is one of the easier powders on forcing cones. Its a realitivly cool  burning powder.
blue lives matter

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »
You also have to have the right size bullet for the barrel; too small a diameter and it won't obturate and gases will blow by the bullet and leave lead deposits in the barrel.  I also 2nd 4227 as I've been using it in my 357max for years and it still shoots well.

Offline jbquack1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »
Iv'e been pondering the lazer cast bullets from oregon trail, as there are claims of "no leading" and good accuracy, etc.  I heard they were about 24 brn. My concern is that a bullet this hard might wear out my rifling as quick as a jacketed bullet. Any reason for alarm or am I really out of the loop? I thought the softer the alloy the longer the barrel life? Please tell me all I need to know! Thanks  Also, I don't have a slug your barrel kit, and was wondering if anybody knows offhand what @ diameter 45 slug I should run in a bisley blackhawk colt/acp?

I wouldn't worry about the barrel wearing out,my concern would be running that hard of bullet too slow and leading the bore.Look on the web for articles written by glen fryxell, this guy goes into good detail about lead hardness/pressure and alot of other good stuff related to cast bullets.A little research on cast bullets can save you alot of trouble as far as leading and what to use.You can also find some good info on verals cast bullet forums on this site.You can PM me as well and i would be happy to share what i know.It'll only take a minute or two. ;D.jim

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »
About that bullet dia, the only way to know that for sure is to slug your bore and measure the slug. And don't worry about the wear you'll never wear that ruger out. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline 454PB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »
Every Ruger in .45 caliber I own or have owned uses .452" bullets. I've read other have problems with undersized chamber throats, but it's never happened to me.