Author Topic: Pic and comment request on 4M style collapsable stocks on the handi  (Read 655 times)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
I'm thinking seriously about the ATI collapsible stock for my ML/30-30 mostly for the compactness an the adjustability of the LOP for my son.

I would like to hear comments about the quality of these units, shootability, fit and feel. Pics would be nice as well

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Pic and comment request on 4M style collapsable stocks on the handi
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »
Krochus ,

I bought a 7.62x39 Rossi for my twin neices for learning to hunt , I put the ATI collasping stock on it and it worked great ... Perfect for me to sight it in and the length of pull was right on fully collasped and the pistol grip work well for them  ...A lil different looking for the average joe but the kids all thought it looked cool enough ;)

Hope this helps,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
Someone else posted up a similar post some time back... I cannot remember who, but someone else posted up a terrible tragedy that happened to a shooter when the collapsible stock he was using collapsed upon recoil. PICTURES WHERE INCLUDED!!! The poor buggers eye was almost scooped out!!! Many switches and lots of black and blue the guy survived.

It made me REALLY think about the special ops collapsible I have on my 12ga!!!!!  I would say with a lite recoiling caliber you may be just fine. Heck 10s of thousands of AR's are using them with no problems. but as soon as some recoil is added to the mix problems happen..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Don't do that - ATI stock - they sure are ugly

If you want a shorter length of pull, oder one of the Tamer stock - made for the shorty shotguns.

The length of pull fits me just fine with a couple layers of winter deer hunting clothes on, and a limbsaver slip on recoil pad increases the length just fine for all those other times. 

Guess I'll have to chase down my camera, huh?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
If you want an adjustable stock, consider the Choate Varmint, a real nice stock, adjustable from 13"-14½" by adding or removing spacers under the butt pad, they also make the Tamer stock.

Tim

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=2&Product_CatalogID=2868&ProductNumber=19-01-16&ProductCode=33&ProductSubCodeID=197&NewProduct=0

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index10&ProductCode=33&ProductSubCodeID=199&NewProduct=0
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »
I'm not interested in anything that takes a screwdriver to adjust otherwize I'd just invest in another frame. As I want to be able to shoot the rifle and then hand it to my son and let him shoot.

cwlongshot

Whilst scary I would have to believe that you anecdote is a very isolated incident with likely some other factors making the outcome much worse such as a scope with insufficient eye relief. M4 style stocks see much much use on very hard kicking platforms from 870 shotguns to heavy kicking big bore ar15's. Either way I'll make accommodation's in that I'll be using a scope that'll put the ocular bell well forward of most scopes so that even fully collapsed the optics will still be usable and provide a margin of safety in case the stock did fail.

Don't do that - ATI stock - they sure are ugly

LOL in case you haven't noticed handi rifles are ugly ;D Beauty is not a concideration

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
A slip-on pad would do if you want a budget switch option. ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »
 ;) I asked about a pretty specific product for a reason ;)

thanks many times for your comments. I have another question for ya what sighting system did you use. How well did the stock line up with sights and or a scope

EDIT: To add that I don't plan on using the goofy ATI ar wanabee forend. I'll likely use a survivor forend for the rifle bbls

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »
cwlongshot

Whilst scary I would have to believe that you anecdote is a very isolated incident with likely some other factors making the outcome much worse such as a scope with insufficient eye relief. M4 style stocks see much much use on very hard kicking platforms from 870 shotguns to heavy kicking big bore AR15's. Either way I'll make accommodation's in that I'll be using a scope that will put the ocular bell well forward of most scopes so that even fully collapsed the optics will still be usable and provide a margin of safety in case the stock did fail.

I HOPE sure it is isolated!! But just having it happen once, means it can and WILL happen again. ATI isn't the highest quality manufacturer I have seen. All thou they copy a AR stock, the quality of them in comparison is somewhat lacking. I'm just passing along info pertaining to your question. What you do with that info is up to you.  ;D

As for the bigger caliber Ar's using collapsible, that's news to me, I hadn't seen any. The Shotgun application for AR style collapsible stocks is relatively new and so I thought it pertainant. I will be looking REALLY closely at the one on my 870. I have an excellent Choate pistol grip stock as well. I may just go back to that for safety's sake.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »
Krochus ,

I found that I couldnt quite get my nephew to give me the input I was looking for when asking what the sight picture looked like through the scope when he was looking though it on our first hunt.. So to eliminate that trouble I went to a good 30 mm red dot for my nieces rig .. I would say it did surprising well (sighting in and accuracy wise)..One very important consideration with the red dots though is the lower quality ones..The dot in good sunlight dosent tend to show well , Well least not like my Aimpoint M2 does... But the red dot made the whole knowing what they are seeing when looking down the rifle a whole lot easier on them and me ... The scope I went with on the nephews H&R was a 3x9x40 and that may be some of the trouble a 4x might have been better ... I use a 4x fixed on my 357 mag Handi and that might be a good consideration if magnification is a must. Has a good field of view and might be the fix i use with the nephew when we go out next..
 Just get um out to the range and get them to sit down like they would in the woods, shooting sticks and from the knee etc. The nephew did fine at the shooting bench when learning his rifle but once in the woods was bobbing and weaving his head around (my guess is searching through a black ring of the scope to close or far, for the animal) So just a heads up on that front..

Thats the route i went and am working my way through... Hope this helps out a little ,

And CW  I have been using my DPMS AP4 .308 for a good while now with the T6 and good to go it is.. I agree ATI isnt what i would reffer to as Delta Team quality heh ..Though it was a pretty solid little set up for a lower recoil round , Helps that the reason for mine was for the insanely short lenght of pull fully collasped which is where it was to fit my Twins frames... I figured a good starting point then from there try them out on their brother's super youth for fit as they grew ... but i do appreciate the heads up brother   :)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »
cwlongshot

Whilst scary I would have to believe that you anecdote is a very isolated incident with likely some other factors making the outcome much worse such as a scope with insufficient eye relief. M4 style stocks see much much use on very hard kicking platforms from 870 shotguns to heavy kicking big bore AR15's. Either way I'll make accommodation's in that I'll be using a scope that will put the ocular bell well forward of most scopes so that even fully collapsed the optics will still be usable and provide a margin of safety in case the stock did fail.

I HOPE sure it is isolated!! But just having it happen once, means it can and WILL happen again. ATI isn't the highest quality manufacturer I have seen. All thou they copy a AR stock, the quality of them in comparison is somewhat lacking. I'm just passing along info pertaining to your question. What you do with that info is up to you.  ;D

As for the bigger caliber Ar's using collapsible, that's news to me, I hadn't seen any. The Shotgun application for AR style collapsible stocks is relatively new and so I thought it pertainant. I will be looking REALLY closely at the one on my 870. I have an excellent Choate pistol grip stock as well. I may just go back to that for safety's sake.

CW

I think you'll be fine,

My take on the incident is this: What in the world is the point of having a collapsible stock if your scope is mounted in such a way that it'll break your face if you shoot with the stock collapsed, it makes no difference  if it happened inadvertently or not.

on the 30-30 I plan on using a 6" eye relief bushnell banner EER scope mounted all the way forward, and on the ML I believe I'll scout mount a handgun scope with a TC contender base

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 03:32:17 AM »
I have not seen the Handi collapsable stock in person, but I have seen several ATI stocks on other guns whilst crusing gun stores (mainly mil-surp sporter stocks).  My opinion is that they are not as nice as the pictures would lead you to believe.  They feel cheaper than most plastic/synthetic stocks and frequently are not straight.  The rifle barrels tend to touch one side of the forearm.  To be fair that is a farily common problem with factory synthetic stocks as well.  I also realize that you are not talking about a forearm. 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:58:48 AM »
ATI isn't the highest quality manufacturer I have seen.

+1
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »
I have the ATI stock and forearm on a cutdown 12.  I only shoot minishells in it.  Recoil is not a problem nor has been inadvertent collaspe.  I also have the stock mounted on a 30-30.  I only shoot 110s or 125s in it.  It  is scope mounted.  Once again, no problems.  When I find an ejector 22 Hornet I intend to mount one on it also.  The gentlemen are right, keep the recoil down and you should have no problems.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"