Author Topic: ? 38-55 Target Classic Production Run  (Read 614 times)

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
? 38-55 Target Classic Production Run
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:18:38 PM »
I LOVE the 38-55 and think its a shame its no longer going to be offered. :'( :'( :'(......that said, tonight I'm very pleased in that I just now made final arrangements for the purchase of a  "Wesson & Harrington" version of the 38-55 Target Classic.  This will put two of these W&H versions of this wonderful 'shooter' in my collection along with an H&R version that I am currently having cut back to 24" for hunting. 

This got me to thinking. ??? ::)....just how many of the "W&H" versions were made and how many in total of the 38-55 were completed prior to curtailment of production :'(.  Anyone know?????

I appreciate any thoughts/information.  Thanks.  Jim.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ? 38-55 Target Classic Production Run
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
No one really knows, that info was lost with the closing of the Gardner plant, Remington may find it someday, but they will not fit accessory barrels to the W&H frames because they have no record of when they were made. :'( Best guess is mid to late '90s thru the early 2ks.

Tim

http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Congrats on The new W&H Jim.I sure hope that thing turns out to be a shooter.I cant wait to get the stuff I ordered This afternoon and start working up some loads for my Target Classic.

Jon
Banned for less than honest trading practices.

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
Interesting.......thank you.  The W&H versions seem to me, at least, to have had better fit and finish and they came thru with the steel trigger guard and forend spacer.....  A very nice touch.....that and the data stamping of "Wesson & Harrington Gardner Massachusetts USA"  My first one also came in with a gun sock that has embroidered "Wesson and Harrington"   I think its too bad the information is lost......too bad also that the rifle will no longer be offered, just MHO........  They sure do shoot sweet however..........and frankly look even better.  I LOVE shooting at a range and have someone ask "what kind of a rifle is THAT!!!!"......which is usually followed by "H&R made THAT???!!!".....which is always followed by ..."and it cost WHAT????!!!!!"........I will never get tired of those comments ;D ;D ;D  Thanks.  Jim.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
I dunno about the better fit and finish, my 2007 made Target has the nicest fit of any of the over 40 H&Rs I have including the three other BC/Targets I own, so they can do a good fit on the BC stocks, they were made in house to include the checkering for a while. Whether they do a good fit on all of em is another matter tho, must just depend on how behind they are when the stocks are made and howmuch in a hurry they are! The steel trigger guard and spacer didn't come on them normally, they were offered as an aftermarket upgrade at one time, but it was also sold as a retail product at $70 for the pair, I have about a dozen H&Rs with them.

Tim

http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/Steel_Form_Special.pdf

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
I 'defer'  ;D to your knowledge on this subject.  One thing I do know is that every W&H version I have seen all had the steel spacer/guard so the original owners must have oppted for an upgrade.  The gun sock is another thing.  Not too sure how many got these, really is nice however.  My older one has a Smith Ent 1871 rear sight on it with the Lyman front globe.  This new rifle (to me) comes in with a Buffington Trapdoor sight (original 1874) and a Pedersoli front globe.  Interesting.  Thanks so much for your input.  Thanks again;  Jim,.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 02:11:29 PM »
The Buffington sight rings a bell,  sounds like the one on TOTW, it appears to have the steel hardware and has the Pedersoli aftermarket front sight, the W&H came with no sights.

Tim

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ujqg422bufqffq45raydfd45))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=12&subId=79&styleId=273&partNum=AAF-450

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,151278.msg1098637052.html#msg1098637052

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
Right you are again ;).......I think it was a 'fair' deal from TOTW..MHO......hell I figured the sights alone were/are worth almost 1/2 the asking price, and as they won't be making any omre of these I figure how can I loose?????  Anyway, I bought her........ ;D ;D ;D Merry Christmas  Thanks again for your input and information....you really do know these rifles.....thatks for sharing.  Jim.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
I think the reason it didn't sell quickly is due to them being overbore with undersized necks, but it's nothing a neck reamer and properly sized cast bullets won't cure.  ;) Marlin cured that issue early last year by not using SAAMI specs, mine has a .379" groove diameter, but the irony of it is after correcting it in 2007, they discontinued it for 2008! ::) :-\ ??? :'(

Tim

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 02:45:21 PM »
Right again Tim.  I had my other W&H cleared up to match its barrel at .381 by Richard Clark out in CA.  He has my H&R TC now that I want to have cut back to 24" for a "Hunting Classic"  :D and I hope to get that back early in the new year.  If hes still up for another chamber fix I'll have this one sent out or, if not, I'll need to find someone else to do the work.....if you have a suggestion on a Gunsmith who knows what to do PLEASE let me know.  I'd very much appreciate that.

Interesting that they FINALLY fixed the chamber only to stop making the rifle once they "got it right"!!!!  I didn't know that.  Go figure.

I talked with TOTW and they said exactly what you just said.....MANY inquiry's, but no sale.  I sort of know this animal and figured as I said that with no more being made and with the $$$ in the sights that the asking price seemed reasonable......oh what the hell....I WANTED the gun so it was pretty simple decision on my part ;D.  Thanks.  Jim.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
I dunno what Old Scout charges or if he's still in business, but you can rent a .400" neck reamer from GBO sponsor 4d for less than $30 including shipping, there's a bunch here that have done their own, just an option for ya.

I do know Wayne York would probably do it for ya, he's done a lot of work for members here including me, but he's kinda busy tho, it will take 6-8 weeks more than likely.

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/

Well, they didn't just fix the chamber, the SAAMI specs were from the original 38-55 that used a hollow based bullet that would expand the skirt to work in the larger bore. A Marlin Tech got wind of the problem with the 38-55 Target at about the same time that the .444 was being planned for reintroduction with the original 1:38" twist bore. This all happened when Marlin started making the barrels for H&R in early 2007, so he got the bore and chamber problems of the 38-55 cured as well as the twist rate of the reintroduced .444 changed to 1:20" which is the same as other Marlin barrels. And all was happy concerning the 38-55, but marketing apparently decided the 38-55 wasn't a good selling model, so they dumped it.  :-\

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »
To clarify a point of confusion, after reading the details on Jon's site, the W&H 38-55 Target did come with steel hardware, the BC came with plastic.

Tim
http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/
The Wesson & Harrington Target Model in 38-55 WCF follows the tradition of fine target offerings from the likes of Ballard or Wurfflein in the 1870's. The 38-55 Cartridge traces its roots to the early 1880's when it was developed for target shooting by the Ballard Rifle Company. The Wesson & Harrington Target Model uses a 28" heavy target barrel and origanal style rifling for consistant accuracy. This barrel length was one of the most popular for this caliber when it was introduced. The Target model also includes all steel furniture. A high polish, heat treated steel trigger guard and forend spacer are standard on this rifle and are now available as a factory upgrade to the owners of the Buffalo Classic, through the H&R 1871, Inc, Customer Service Department.