Author Topic: MP3 players actually make sense for me  (Read 768 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
MP3 players actually make sense for me
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »
I thought MP3 players were just for kids, but, they really are great for the rest of us. My wife wanted one and got it as a gift. While setting it up for her so it would be ready to use, I got some podcasts (MP3 recordings) of her favorite public radio shows. While checking into the podcasts I found some shows I really like, but can't regularly listen to (like Dennis Prager and Gun Talk.)

Some time later I got one for myself. Prices are around $70 now for a really decent one, and you can get a gadget that plugs into the player on one end and your car's cassette player on the other end so you can listen in your car. The whole thing costs under $100 unless you want to go fancy. Sansa makes good ones at a good price.

This has been one of those revolutionary things for me, like the internet. I hardly ever listen to my local radio shows any more. I listen to my favorite things most any time I want.
Safety first

Offline magooch

Re: MP3 players actually make sense for me
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 04:01:52 AM »
Just be careful if you're using earphones.  They can cause hearing problems if you turn them up.
Swingem

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:27:51 AM »
Just be careful if you're using earphones.  They can cause hearing problems if you turn them up.

A lot of the newer ones have a volume limit.  This prevents you from turning it up to a level that would cause damage.  It is funny to me that you started this topic.  Matt went to work yesterday with one in his pocket and earphones attached to his ears!  I laughed at him thinking he was the only grown man with an MP3 player.  Well I guess I won't laugh since it is beginning to be a trend in middle aged men.   ;)

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:40:48 AM »
Questor,
Ya really need to go whole hog & get rid of the am-fm Casset in your auto in favor of a am-fm CD player.
The newer CD players are usually MP3 compatible and many have an additional slot for the small SX or SD chips and the storage in the MP3 format for both the CD or chips can be incredible.

Prices for these can be reasonable with some being under $85. My Brother bought one of the cheap ones to replace an old radio mounted on the Windjammer of his Motorcycle and it has held up well.
I do recommend a Pioneer unit though with the base units being reasonable in cost. I would come and install it for free but I think that there is a couple three States in between us so you will have to get
The kid from down the block to do it.

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »
Glanceblamm:

Sorry. No can do. Not until I get another car anyway. I need all the money I can get for hunting and fishing and shooting. Priorities, you know.
Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 04:49:25 AM »
The headphones tip is a very serious tip indeed. A lot of hearing damage is done when using headphones. I do not use earbuds with my MP3 player, I always play it through a speaker. Earbuds really do damage hearing.
Safety first

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 05:00:58 AM »
I love mine. I plug an FM transmitter into it and play it through the stereo system in my garage and my truck. I use the ear buds when riding my Harley. It categorizes music into playlist, artists and random play. It almost make Cd's obsolete.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 05:25:15 AM »
I use mine with earbuds underneath shooting earmuffs when riding my John Deere lawnmower.  The thin wires don't make any difference in suppressing the lawn mower noise. (I mean the thin wires from the earbuds don't hinder the seal of the muffs - works fine.) Van Halen, ZZ Top, Beach Boys turn that John Deere into a Corvette! ;D ;D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
  Van Halen, ZZ Top, Beach Boys turn that John Deere into a Corvette! ;D ;D

:D :D :D Thats funny,maybe I'll try it and see what it turns my wheelhorse in to  :o
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »
I love mine. I plug an FM transmitter into it and play it through the stereo system in my garage and my truck. I use the ear buds when riding my Harley. It categorizes music into playlist, artists and random play. It almost make Cd's obsolete.

Cheese
Hey Cheese. Could you tell me more about the FM transmitter you spoke of. Maybe even tell me about your whole set up. I would like to be able to do the same thing as you. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripnano

Here is link to the FM transmitter. My daughter is the ipod-itunes expert. I work with her on downloading music and videos from itunes. The ipod nano has a small screen that plays the videos with amazing resolution.

Cheese

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »
I think there is another way too...

I have a Bose wave radio and it came with a wire and some colored plugs on one end that plug into the radio, and a "headphone plug" on the other end.  Plug that end into your MP3 where the headphones would go, and the colored ends (red and white) into the back of your stereo or radio.  Put the Radio on "Aux" and the MP3 plays beautifully through it.  If you have a stereo or radio with and "aux" function, you should be able to do that.  (I think - I'm not a techy, but mine works fine that way)

I believe you can also just plug your computer speakers into your MP3 where the headphones or ear buds would be plugged in and get the same results.

Sorry, I never remember what the proper nomenclatures are for the plugs.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »
Cementman is right about all of that. I am forced to use the itrip in my truck since there is no jack in the truck stereo unit. The truck has a cd-fm-am-sirius satellite stereo system. If there was a cassette deck involved, an adapter can used that appears to be a cassette tape with a wire attached that plugs into the ipod.

Cheese

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 06:31:26 AM »
MP3 players are great, especially on airplanes.  Don't want to be bothered by the airhead sitting in the seat next to you?  Put them headphones on and bury your nose in a book.

I really like mine.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 07:43:48 AM »
Thanks guys. I have a Dewalt radio I use at work every day and it has an aux input in the back of it. I guess I would just plug it in there. The same with my Sony after market stero in my van I would just have to plug it into the aux input there also. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
I dont care about the airhead- is there something you can do about the 400 pounder that sits next to me on every freekin flight im on?

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »
You mean the one who breathes like they're snoring and have just run a marathon?  I haven't found a solution to that problem yet, sadly.

Offline Questor

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
If you're talking about the 500+ pound guy I sat next to on a flight from DC, that's the one. Yep. That flight proved once and for all that I'm a pretty good sport.
Safety first

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »

I drive a big truck and all of our new ones have an Aux input jack on the dash. Makes a player a lot more versatile.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff